How does placing PvE guild boost banners work really ? They time out or disappear seemingly randomly

I have a small guild with a GH , are a scribe and allowed to make and use PvE guild boost banners in 3 other guilds I am part of and spent a rather insane amount of gold on mats to craft and place banners on regular farmspots,and have yet zero clue as to how this work. Could some Dev PLEASE explain the duration, why some instantly disappears, why some last for 2 weeks or more and not the least WHY some instantly go away, some stay put and some only stay put if I change representing different guilds between placing and relogging an alt with another representation. Or is this all crap expensive randomness. HOW does it WORK really ? I found zero info about this anywhere? And , yes I logged the ip of each instance for referance. Please? Its bugging the s**t out of me? and yes I typo alot, I am half blindand an older player (60's)..

Questions you always wondered but was too ashamed to ask :) ...., I've wondered these exact questions too and still have no idea how they work.

Also sometimes there's been a banner which I have tried to take to refresh my time (like gathering and swiftness banner at flax farm in D. Mons) which doesn't refresh the existing time left on my buff. Interacting with it does nothing. ?‍♀️

> @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> I've seemed to notice, in my experience, if the person who places the banner leaves the map it disappears. Unless it bugs out ofc.

There are two types of banner mechanics.

1. As @"Fremtid.3528" says: it remains until the player placing the banner leaves the zone.

2. Persistent: it remains on the map until the zone disappears (e.g. due to a patch or getting merged with a higher pop instance).

I believe the ones we get from the commendation vendor follow the first rule. The second type is either the one produced [by schematics ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Heroes_Banner_Schematic)or as [a service](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Heroes_Banner_(service)). However, in game, they all look the same, so it's hard to test without having access to banner-production facilities (which I do not).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Fremtid.3528" said:

> > I've seemed to notice, in my experience, if the person who places the banner leaves the map it disappears. Unless it bugs out ofc.

>

> There are two types of banner mechanics.

> 1. As @"Fremtid.3528" says: it remains until the player placing the banner leaves the zone.

> 2. Persistent: it remains on the map until the zone disappears (e.g. due to a patch or getting merged with a higher pop instance).

>

> I believe the ones we get from the commendation vendor follow the first rule. The second type is either the one produced [by schematics ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Heroes_Banner_Schematic)or as [a service](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Heroes_Banner_(service)). However, in game, they all look the same, so it's hard to test without having access to banner-production facilities (which I do not).

I have a private guild with full banners and also commendation banners and I think you're right about the commendation banners. I will test to see if you're right about the guild banners as soon as I have time. Of course everyone will probably have moved on by the time I have time.

> @"Vash.2386" said:

> Questions you always wondered but was too ashamed to ask :) ...., I've wondered these exact questions too and still have no idea how they work.

>

> Also sometimes there's been a banner which I have tried to take to refresh my time (like gathering and swiftness banner at flax farm in D. Mons) which doesn't refresh the existing time left on my buff. Interacting with it does nothing. ?‍♀️

For a moment.... we are going to completely disregard the possibility of a player with a Banner potion. Because 5 years into the game, and even veteran players fall for that prank pretty frequently.

Anyway.... banners behave similar to food, which application can be blocked for non-player initiated sources as way to protect expensive food. (Although this still falls prey to the same type of prank with banners..... the habit of clicking before checking what it is we're interacting with) However, the hierarchy for banner buffs is weird because of how its broken down in the UI as distinct buffs. Basically if a Heroes Banner timer is active, lesser banners will not be allowed to apply a buff. I speculate this is because the UI back end treats the heroes banner as a single buff, but displays them individually with cloned timers on the front end. This wouldn't be the first time either, as I recall a similar problem with boons or traits where stronger applications were being blocked by lesser ones, due to priority conflicts.

Now think about it...... we also have single buff banners, and dual buff banners in the mix as well.

• 2 months later...

Thx for different answers 8) I found that using crfted banners to make them persistant, hero banner do seems to always disappear if the player leave the zone. Most zones will not let banners stay put at all, a few zones leaves banners forever unles there is a patch. ADn, yes I aslwsy checked the ip of said zone. They reason it is so seems confusing still,, but at least I coan now have persistent banners who are only a hop away wherever I farm ;P

Also, if some have plaeced 2-3 banners somewhere and you want to place a "better" banner, you have to move quite a distance awy from the ohter banners to be allowed to place you own banner..