Trolls cave \ ( °-° ) /

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > I'd rather the sensitive people take control of their own game and learn to use the block function instead of wanting everyone with different ideas of acceptable chat to be banned.

> >

> > I think you are mistaking "desire to be able to use people's sexuality, gender, race, or religion as an insult, or to attack them for it" for "different ideas of acceptable chat" here. Only one of those two is being argued against.

> >

> > I mean, heck, I don't wanna hear people RP sexy-talking in chat, but ... big difference between that, and them using someones sexuality as an insult, no?

>

> I am hard pressed to understand why their sexuality would be a topic. How/why did it come up for someone to even know?

You have never noticed that "gay" is used as an insult, or to describe something negatively, by some people, in your whole entire life?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > I'd rather the sensitive people take control of their own game and learn to use the block function instead of wanting everyone with different ideas of acceptable chat to be banned.

> >

> > I think you are mistaking "desire to be able to use people's sexuality, gender, race, or religion as an insult, or to attack them for it" for "different ideas of acceptable chat" here. Only one of those two is being argued against.

> >

> > I mean, heck, I don't wanna hear people RP sexy-talking in chat, but ... big difference between that, and them using someones sexuality as an insult, no?

>

> I am hard pressed to understand why their sexuality would be a topic. How/why did it come up for someone to even know?

I think this is something that your average straight cis-perosn tends to take for granted (no offense aimed at anyone though). See, it's not that people go around screaming "IM VERY GAY" (though some do). It's just that... especially in guilds, say chat etc where people are chatting about their lives, many often bring up their fiancés, significant others etc in the conversation. Often the context reveals if the person is not straight, and this leads into some unwarranted and rude comments. The fact is that LGBT+ folks can talk about their relationships and life just as straight cis-folks can, and I don't see any reason why they should not.

There are alos A LOT of people who make "funny" jokes about the LGBT+ community even if the subject itself is not brought up or if no one announces their sexuality. All the tasteless gay and apache helicopter jokes. Some of us just do not want to associate ourselves with that.

Geez, no. Already there's a huge number of people who think you should never report anyone for chat -- that you should block and move on. This would just make things worse as the assumption would be the cave was a free space where you can't be reported for anything, and there would be so many people complaining about "snowflakes", "SJWs", "PC Police" and such entering a space to be "deliberately triggered" after they get banned for saying hateful and toxic things.

There are plenty of places on the internet where you could meet people this way and connect with others who play GW2 and would want to be in a troll cave guild. You could also do something like make a Discord server. You say it's a hassle to use Discord or TS, but if that's the kind of environment you want, *you* are the one who is going to have to find/make it. Neither Guild Wars nor Arenanet has ever been for the 4chan crowd, thus there is zero reason why they should put in development and support resources to create and maintain such a place that would only be a toxic dumpster fire.

The PvP lobby is bad enough, no point spreading it to the rest of the game with a supposed "Get out of being banned free" card.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > I'd rather the sensitive people take control of their own game and learn to use the block function instead of wanting everyone with different ideas of acceptable chat to be banned.

>

> I think you are mistaking "desire to be able to use people's sexuality, gender, race, or religion as an insult, or to attack them for it" for "different ideas of acceptable chat" here. Only one of those two is being argued against.

>

> I mean, heck, I don't wanna hear people RP sexy-talking in chat, but ... big difference between that, and them using someones sexuality as an insult, no?

These are all things that are against the ToS and shouldnt be there anyway, completely reportable. Topics that you just don't like, or profanity - which is blocked by the filter anyway, use the block function. :/

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> >

> >

>

> These are all things that are against the ToS and shouldnt be there anyway, completely reportable. Topics that you just don't like, or profanity - which is blocked by the filter anyway, use the block function. :/

Exactly my point. (Well, unless you were saying the RP stuff was also reportable, which I'd just block, or walk away from, but I don't think that is what you meant.)

Also, exactly my objection to the trolling-and-profanity channel, since the most commonly expressed desire for it is to enable an exception to the ToS for that. :)

Pretty sure this already exists in the Party and Guild chat channels. You want to BS and kitten-talk people with your friends, that's probably the "safest" place for it; there's no reason to further sanction it. Be aware though... as the story goes: "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law...".

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > @"Zet.9130" said:

> > As others have said this channel would attract every nutjob, sociopathic hater in the game. So the question is will Anet implement a White Power chat channel? I'm betting not.

>

> Yes. Put all the nutters on a channel all to themselves and keep them off regular game chat.

Wouldn't work: some of them want a bigger audience, and would stay in regular chat. Some of them enjoy upsetting people, and would stay in regular chat.

Plus, nobody can agree who they are. Everyone thinks they are reasonable, sensible, and correct.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > > @"Zet.9130" said:

> > > As others have said this channel would attract every nutjob, sociopathic hater in the game. So the question is will Anet implement a White Power chat channel? I'm betting not.

> >

> > Yes. Put all the nutters on a channel all to themselves and keep them off regular game chat.

>

> Wouldn't work: some of them want a bigger audience, and would stay in regular chat. Some of them enjoy upsetting people, and would stay in regular chat.

>

> Plus, nobody can agree who they are. Everyone thinks they are reasonable, sensible, and correct.

>

---snip--

True that. It is a sweet thought though.