Guild Wars Revival?

I'm sure that Anet is not blind or deaf to the occasional outpouring of support that GW1 receives -- but I think the scale to which this support for the game actually exists could be fallacious. We all know there is no active development currently planned for GW1, but from the community's point of view, it still feels like a painful lost opportunity. But, of course, we don't have the data that drives business decisions.

Are you all able to give us a stronger answer as to the _reasons_ why a GW1 revival will/ will not happen, a la Runescape classic?

1. Is the projected playerbase actually too tiny to justify ROI on any kind of revived development?

2. Is the current vocal playerbase just loud because we're in an echo chamber? Is the recent observed uptick in players real?

3. Does Anet simply not want to live in the past?

No other game created plays like GW1, including GW2. I read people hailing the game across the internet all the time who miss that TCG approach to a lore-wrapped MMO. For veteran players, there's an itch that has been unscratched for about about 8 years now -- and many of us are in our late 20s - early 30s with stable incomes to spend :).

Apologies if this dead horse is already too beaten. I imagine it doesn't get a response, but I like asking every time the opportunity presents itself~

Personally... GW1 is remarkably well balanced. It has it's flaws, yes. I would be afraid that any new development would not be positive.

On the other hand.. I'd love to see the creation of "Classic PvP." This would be core class only PvP. It would parallel standard PvP and have the same rewards.

> @"Ithilwen.1529" said:

> On the other hand.. I'd love to see the creation of "Classic PvP." This would be core class only PvP. It would parallel standard PvP and have the same rewards.

I would play the bejesus out of that. I would hate to see them try to add to GW1's PvE and/or story in any way because A) it's old and B ) it's great as it is and C) you'd risk continuity errors with GW2, but a straight up PvP brawlfest with all the modes? Gimme. Like now. Call it Guild Wars III: Arena... oops, too derivative... maybe Guild Wars: Battle Isles and off you go.

> @"Ithilwen.1529" said:

> Personally... GW1 is remarkably well balanced. It has it's flaws, yes. I would be afraid that any new development would not be positive.

>

> On the other hand.. I'd love to see the creation of "Classic PvP." This would be core class only PvP. It would parallel standard PvP and have the same rewards.

I love this idea. I would push for A/Rt/P/D still, but a standalone PVP version of Guild Wars would be incredibly fun to play (and perhaps a more realistic project?). +Team Arena revival would be the bees knees.

We can dream!

I would love a guild wars remake. <3

Unfortunately the world seems to want moba games nowadays, so i fear that a GW1 remake would bomb. But then there is stuff like warframe and path of exile, lobby based co-op rpgs, and they are prospering like hot cakes.. so maybe there is a lot players looking for that type of game again.

> @"Redfeather.6401" said:

> I would love a guild wars remake. <3

> Unfortunately the world seems to want moba games nowadays, so i fear that a GW1 remake would bomb.

I mean, GW1 is combat is very similar to MOBAs if you think about it, especially the controls and the number of skills available per build.

GW1 is like a mix of Hearhstone deckbuilding, MOBA controls, and MMO combat.

> @"witcher.3197" said:

> > @"Redfeather.6401" said:

> > I would love a guild wars remake. <3

> > Unfortunately the world seems to want moba games nowadays, so i fear that a GW1 remake would bomb.

>

> I mean, GW1 is combat is very similar to MOBAs if you think about it, especially the controls and the number of skills available per build.

>

> GW1 is like a mix of Hearhstone deckbuilding, MOBA controls, and MMO combat.

>

I'd say in many ways it is a predecessor to these games. GW1 was originally designed with MTG in mind, and the team composition aspects of MOBA games leans on this idea as well.

I think that if GW1 PVP was re-purposed, re-balanced, and promoted, there's no way it would flop. It has a baked-in superfan community from the onset.

All that said, I'm not really asking if a re-make is possible... they've already shot it down many times. My original thread was just asking for some reasons why ;).