GW2 Possibly causing GPU fan to spike to 6000rpm?

Hi all,

Just raising awareness of this issue, Ive recently returned to this game and never encountered this before, I play many games that you would believe would cause this issue but none have and I have never heard my machine make this noise before.

I have set my fans to a lower setting for testing (80%) which sits around 3000rpm which isn't bad but not too loud and every now and then the fan just picks up and goes insane for 2-3 seconds then back to 3000 now its not too hot its hovering around 80c so I am just wondering what might be causing this,? ive never experienced it before and Ive played game like witcher 3 and BF1 etc and its never made any noise like this even when I used to play GW it would never howl lol.

Anyone got any ideas?

UPDATE: It seems putting Frame limiter to 30 fixes the noise, however 30fps is yucky :(

> @"ArmoredVehicle.2849" said:

> 80% Fan speed is overkill for this game, I run my GTX 1060 at just 35% (about 880 RPM) and temps don't go beyond 50 degrees.

Exactly running the game in 30fps my fans speed are low and temp is around 50-60 however if I touch the fps limiter to 60 it fires all the way up to 80-90+ even just standing still, something doesn't seem right.

Okay so I did a bit more digging, into my machine this time.... I was pondering with the thought of how a game culd be doing this and not my hardware.. well it was 100% my hardware, I warn you if you are going to look at this its not for the faint hearted lol https://imgur.com/a/tyPDAiR

The entire section of the heat sink that is positioned next to the fan was completely blocked!! I am amazed my machine has not died.

Tested the game when I put it all back together and on 60fps my temp is around 60C and in fighting too!!!

So happy :)

> @"Sychx.9872" said:

> Okay so I did a bit more digging, into my machine this time.... I was pondering with the thought of how a game culd be doing this and not my hardware.. well it was 100% my hardware, I warn you if you are going to look at this its not for the faint hearted lol https://imgur.com/a/tyPDAiR

>

> The entire section of the heat sink that is positioned next to the fan was completely blocked!! I am amazed my machine has not died.

>

> Tested the game when I put it all back together and on 60fps my temp is around 60C and in fighting too!!!

>

> So happy :)

>

That was clogging it quite a bit I imagine, glad it was just that :)

> @"Sychx.9872" said:

> Anyone got any ideas?

If you configure set GPU fan speed percentages for certain temperatures, the GPU should remain properly cooled throughout the run of the game and will not heat up so badly that it suddenly switches to 100% because your GPU has run too hot.

GW2 has not really anything to do with GPU fan speed. GW2 just puts a load on the GPU and the GPU iteself manages the fan speed based on the GPU temperature. It will do this with any load. Try to run 3DMark Fire Strike.

Some GPU's come with software to manage power consumption, clock speed and temperature targets. You can use this to tweak the fan speeds. (For example - Lower power target = less heat = lower fan speed -- At a cost of performance of course)