Returning Player - HoT vs. PoF Mastery Question

So I played through about 2/5ths of HoT. Should I finish that up including all masteries before moving on to PoF; or are they two completely independent type masteries. I am wondering if I should do PoF first to get all the mount masteries first, but uncertain. Thanks ahead for advice.

> @"Giobonello.2530" said:

> > @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > Independent.

> >

> > Up to you, POF masteries are easier,and mounts are useful, so I would just jump to PoF, I never finished HoT.

>

> So, you don't need HoT masteries/skills to complete PoF? Thanks.

You don't need any beyond what each provide but gliding can make some things easier. Although skimmer and griffon covers most of that as well. Gliding is more precise but that is rarely necessary.

> @"Giobonello.2530" said:

> So I played through about 2/5ths of HoT. Should I finish that up including all masteries before moving on to PoF; or are they two completely independent type masteries. I am wondering if I should do PoF first to get all the mount masteries first, but uncertain. Thanks ahead for advice.

Both HoT and PoF have different masteries, but mastery points can be spent on any mastery. For now, it's better to finish the HoT masteries before the PoF masteries. Just unlock the gliding upgrade and then if you want you can move on to PoF to upgrade the mounts.

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > @"Giobonello.2530" said:

> > So I played through about 2/5ths of HoT. Should I finish that up including all masteries before moving on to PoF; or are they two completely independent type masteries. I am wondering if I should do PoF first to get all the mount masteries first, but uncertain. Thanks ahead for advice.

>

> Both HoT and PoF have different masteries, but mastery points can be spent on any mastery.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings -

Core, HoT and PoF are three completely separate mastery "sets". You earn points and xp for each separately. Apart from unlocking the *system* itself (by starting HoT or PoF story), there are no interdependencies.

PoF has a "tutorial phase" that limitslimit where you can spend your first few PoF MPs, but other than that, there are no prerequisites beyond unlocking each track.

The wiki article lists the unlock condition for each: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery#Mastery_track

Having up to Advanced Gliding is still useful on the PoF maps, but none of the other mastery lines come into play. You can get along without gliding in the desert, but it will make a lot of things easier.

Spectral Aid from Ancient Magics is also very helpful.

> @"Hesacon.8735" said:

> Having up to Advanced Gliding is still useful on the PoF maps, but none of the other mastery lines come into play. You can get along without gliding in the desert, but it will make a lot of things easier.

I'm pretty sure one small cave on the LS4 S2 island is full of poison gas, requiring the Itzel poison mastery to enter. You miss out on, like, a handful of map currency nodes if you can't go in, so hardly game breaking...