Conservative Guild Questions

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> I don't think that it would be against any rules. But if you start a guild with political ideals at the center, you will hardly get away from politics in your gaming time.

In my experience "get away from politics" is the goal, only in so far as they only *notice* politics they disagree with. So, there is a legitimate belief that, for example, a guild that was explicitly designed to act as a safe space for conservative politics would be able to support "both conservative and liberal" views, because they honestly and sincerely believe that they are entirely welcoming of both sides.

Sometimes, in my experience, this also includes the mistaken belief that "things should stay as they are" is not a political position, so advocating that, for example, LBGT characters should not be included in the game is seen as "things should stay as they are, where other games don't feature these things", and thus non-political, while supporting them is "looking for change", thus political.

Again, these are usually sincerely held beliefs, acted on in "good faith", even if they are mistaken about the actuality of their positions.

in short:

- You may join any guild, but you have to respect the founder's policies.

- You may start your own guild, and base it on your policies, whatever they may be. Start a guild for satanists for all we care.

- You may discuss politics and religion in public, *in a polite matter*

- You may **not** discuss politics and religion in public in a way that may affrond, or directly insult or silence others.

- You may **not** join a guild with a clear belief or societal behavior with the purpose of *opposing* said beliefs.

But you sound a little contradictory in your statement.

You dislike people talking about politics, but you want a guild with a certain political sway?

in that case, just join any guild that forbids political discussion in general

There's also the problem that people have different ideas of what counts as politics. For example I was recently talking about my experience in school vs. those of older and younger people in guild chat in another game and we got a reminder from an officer that politics is not allowed and we should change the subject.

Now to me that wasn't a political discussion. Of course there were political factors since the policies of the various governments who were in power at the time would affect what and how schools were teaching, but we weren't directly talking about that - just the end result. But clearly that officer felt that it was a political discussion for whatever reason. Maybe it was more to do with the fact that we were also comparing different countries education systems, since we're not all from the same place?

(It's also not as simple as banning politics and religion means no drama in chat. I once had a very heated discussion, with some people getting quite worked up defending their point of view, over the different way to combine bread/toast and melted cheese and what they should all be called. I mean we weren't in danger of ruining any friendships (I think) or anyone being kicked out, but we did almost get food added to the list of banned topics.)

Everything a reasonable human with opinion says has a political content. It is inevitable. Since we are social creatures, what we consider a proper way to be social is an inherent part of our interaction with others. What the contingent politicians may do or opine is a different, more specific topic, which many of us would probably try to avoid. But not talking about specific party related, polemic or contingent "official" politics will not free us from but being political anyway.

> @"ThePolarTitan.4025" said:

> I play games to get away from politics

> if I can make a guild for conservatives

Sounds like you may be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Surely it would be simpler to create a regular guild but prohibit political discussion.