Personality system left over found on merchant

I remember the personality system but I don't ever remember it costing karma to persuade a merchant in one direction. As you can see in this screenshot it shows my total karma and gold at the top and then how much to increase each personality attribute. In this case dignity obviously. Anyways, just an interesting left over I found from when it was almost completely removed years ago. Thought I'd share a blast from the past.

PS: Yes it actually took the 164 karma to use that option.

![](https://i.imgur.com/FG3YK9W.jpg "")

I think every MMORPG older than about five minutes(1) has at least one of these features - something that was introduced and either never really exploited (example: the "Family Tree" feature of SWTOR) or disembowelled in large part, but not totally (example: GW2's "Personality" feature, as you noted).

(1) Well, OK, not five minutes, obviously. More like "older than its first patch".

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> I think every MMORPG older than about five minutes(1) has at least one of these features - something that was introduced and either never really exploited (example: the "Family Tree" feature of SWTOR) or disembowelled in large part, but not totally (example: GW2's "Personality" feature, as you noted).

>

> (1) Well, OK, not five minutes, obviously. More like "older than its first patch".

I'd more describe it as "something that was introduced, and turned out to be terrible, so was scrapped", myself. The personality feature sounds like it could be good, but in practice, just isn't: it's either got some path that is a mechanical advantage and everyone does that, or it has no advantage, thus no real purpose, because you can imagine a grumpy response just as well as you can click it in-game.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > I think every MMORPG older than about five minutes(1) has at least one of these features - something that was introduced and either never really exploited (example: the "Family Tree" feature of SWTOR) or disembowelled in large part, but not totally (example: GW2's "Personality" feature, as you noted).

> >

> > (1) Well, OK, not five minutes, obviously. More like "older than its first patch".

>

> I'd more describe it as "something that was introduced, and turned out to be terrible, so was scrapped", myself. The personality feature sounds like it could be good, but in practice, just isn't: it's either got some path that is a mechanical advantage and everyone does that, or it has no advantage, thus no real purpose, because you can imagine a grumpy response just as well as you can click it in-game.

I think it's also a bit lacking in sense - you meet this person for the very first time, and they react to you based on your interactions with several other people they've never heard of and will never meet or even hear of. At least the way you get reactions from NPCs in SWTOR makes sense. If you're polite in your *actual* speech to them(1), they react positively, and if you're rude, they react angrily, and if you out and out threaten them, they (usually) react in a "cowed" way. It's direct and it's right there.

(1) For those who don't know, dialogues in SWTOR allow the player to show his character's personality through individual responses to situations - you can threaten people, commend them, flirt with them, and so on, all the way up to actually torturing them in a few cases(2) - and the NPCs will respond accordingly.

(2) Near the beginning of the Sith Inquisitor class story, you are tasked with finding out what an imprisoned acolyte knows about a murder. You can play "good cop" in a "good cop, bad cop" routine, you can be polite but unremarkable, or you can shout out "Scream, weakling!"(3) and zap him with Force lightning. His responses depend on what you do.

(3) If you go down the "crazed Dark Side Sith" path, this line sets the tone for the entire story.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> I think it's also a bit lacking in sense - you meet this person for the very first time, and they react to you based on your interactions with several other people they've never heard of and will never meet or even hear of. At least the way you get reactions from NPCs in SWTOR makes sense. If you're polite in your *actual* speech to them(1), they react positively, and if you're rude, they react angrily, and if you out and out threaten them, they (usually) react in a "cowed" way. It's direct and it's right there.

Isn't the entire karma system like that though? Because of all the positive things of done on every corner of the world, certain people will just keep handing me free stuff until some arbitrary limit (i.e. I run out of karma).

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> Isn't the entire karma system like that though? Because of all the positive things of done on every corner of the world, certain people will just keep handing me free stuff until some arbitrary limit (i.e. I run out of karma).

You're not wrong here. It is indeed like that. And of course in the Sandswept Isles, those positive things include slaughtering the wildlife(1) if you buy the special buff (Karmic Retribution).

(1) Even the moas, drakes, crabs and flying sharks.(2)

(2) I swear, if one more flying shark knocks me off my skimmer, I'm gonna ***scream***!(3)

(3) Or am I the only person that happens to?

EDIT: yes, I know, not just in the Sandswept Isles, although I haven't seen flying sharks anywhere else.

I always head canon'd that word of your good deeds spread around, so people were happy to offer you gifts or help you out. But if you take too much advantage of it, people start thinking you're just a mooch.

However that doesn't explain why I get so much karma from supplying the orphans of Divinity's Reach with weaponry every Wintersday.........

I feel bad this feature isn't part of our hero pannel anymore... I used to know the character selection showing the order I chosen, my rank in WvW, PvP and map completion. I would like Anet bring back this system with 3 bars showing your affinity with the main aspects grace-dignity-violence! Was great to have a specific personality depending on that. We should see our personality score again.