What's happened to Maguuma?

misterman.1530

I remember when fa was up against mag and about 10-15 of us would go to smc to try and get some fight's (because we had heard mag was a fight server) but just got rain down on by cows, mortar, trebs, cannons, ac's, catapults and rangers standing on the walls and then 20 people coming out to kill anyone left that didn't die to being hit by a bunch of siege and rangers. This all happened and we was not even trying to take smc. The only good fights I had against mag was against KEK those guys are really good and fun to fight.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> One word: culture. People like to play with other players who think and act like they do.

>

> Mag attracts the type of players it attracts because it's the last place for fight oriented players to play where they won't be constantly asked to do things they have no interest in doing and/or surrounded by people who are more interested in the objectives than the fights themselves.

What's more important though? Having a server full of players who think and act the same or getting the fights you want? There are two common complaints I hear from Maguuma players: EBG queue and no one wants to fight them. Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > @"Shining One.1635" said:

> >Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

>

> I don't like fighting my friends. I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

But yet, there is no one left to fight because no other server fights?

Ermm...

I think it is disgusting and certainly lack dignity to call oneself a fighter when one is on a full server matched against medium or high servers. I am sure many others have similar opinions and I certainly find it alarming on how one can continue to be thick-skinned about it. Then again, it is the culture of gw2 since stacking and bandwagoning is much considered alright thing to do by numerous guilds.

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> Ermm...

>

> I think it is disgusting and certainly lack dignity to call oneself a fighter when one is on a full server matched against medium or high servers. I am sure many others have similar opinions and I certainly find it alarming on how one can continue to be thick-skinned about it. Then again, it is the culture of gw2 since stacking and bandwagoning is much considered alright thing to do by numerous guilds.

Maguuma isn't really a full server, just locked. We have no coverage, few commanders, etc. Server is just in a bad spot atm, we'll see how relinks affect it, but most of those medium/high servers also have links too.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > @"Farout.8207" said:

> >

> > > @"Israel.7056" said:

> >

> > > I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

> >

> > Wow, it's really not that serious

>

> It is to me.

It's only make believe...

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"Shining One.1635" said:

> > >Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

> >

> > I don't like fighting my friends. I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

>

> But yet, there is no one left to fight because no other server fights?

More like the culture on every other server has become so objective oriented that most fights are predicated on an objective being on the line instead of just kinda running into each other over and over in an open area. There are plenty of people to fight and plenty of people who know how to fight but more and more they'll only fight if some kind of objective is on the line. That's what I really hate about most other servers on NA. It's not that they're all that bad at the game it's that they consistently make choices on the field that I absolutely despise and I refuse to be a part of.

Take BG for example. Lot of very experienced pugs, some great commanders, can easily just focus on fighting whenever they want to, frequently choose to play the ppt siege turtle game instead. Why? Because too many people got obsessed with the idea of being the server that wins matchups instead of being the server that just wins fights. I remember when BG server culture wasn't so different from how Mag is now. I loved BG back then somewhere along the way it just got corrupted with this obsession with winning the stupid matchups.

> @"Farout.8207" said:

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"Farout.8207" said:

> > >

> > > > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > >

> > > > I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

> > >

> > > Wow, it's really not that serious

> >

> > It is to me.

>

> It's only make believe...

Of course but it serves as an outlet for me.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Shining One.1635" said:

> > > >Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

> > >

> > > I don't like fighting my friends. I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

> >

> > But yet, there is no one left to fight because no other server fights?

>

> More like the culture on every other server has become so objective oriented that most fights are predicated on an objective being on the line instead of just kinda running into each other over and over in an open area. There are plenty of people to fight and plenty of people who know how to fight but more and more they'll only fight if some kind of objective is on the line. That's what I really hate about most other servers on NA. It's not that they're all that bad at the game it's that they consistently make choices on the field that I absolutely despise and I refuse to be a part of.

>

> Take BG for example. Lot of very experienced pugs, some great commanders, can easily just focus on fighting whenever they want to, frequently choose to play the ppt siege turtle game instead. Why? Because too many people got obsessed with the idea of being the server that wins matchups instead of being the server that just wins fights. I remember when BG server culture wasn't so different from how Mag is now. I loved BG back then somewhere along the way it just got corrupted with this obsession with winning the stupid matchups.

The last time you faced BG there were at least 4 'fights' guilds that left, yet that is the experience you draw upon?

CL, KnT, RISE, and one other that escapes me.

Some of the most activity BG has seen has taken place since those guilds left. Look at GW stats.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > > @"Shining One.1635" said:

> > > >Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

> > >

> > > I don't like fighting my friends. I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

> >

> > But yet, there is no one left to fight because no other server fights?

>

> More like the culture on every other server has become so objective oriented that most fights are predicated on an objective being on the line instead of just kinda running into each other over and over in an open area. There are plenty of people to fight and plenty of people who know how to fight but more and more they'll only fight if some kind of objective is on the line. That's what I really hate about most other servers on NA. It's not that they're all that bad at the game it's that they consistently make choices on the field that I absolutely despise and I refuse to be a part of.

>

> Take BG for example. Lot of very experienced pugs, some great commanders, can easily just focus on fighting whenever they want to, frequently choose to play the ppt siege turtle game instead. Why? Because too many people got obsessed with the idea of being the server that wins matchups instead of being the server that just wins fights. I remember when BG server culture wasn't so different from how Mag is now. I loved BG back then somewhere along the way it just got corrupted with this obsession with winning the stupid matchups.

And if it's truly 'every other server' why does Mag bother then? By that definition, there is no one to fight.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> OP here: To settle all this PPK vs PPT discussion, Anet simply needs to provide rewards for winning.

>

> For example (and this is just an example):

> * Each player on the winning server gets double bonus WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets. So, if you reached the top Diamond Skirmish Reward track you would have received 365 tickets. Double that to 730.

> * Each player on the second place server gets a 1.5 bonus - so 547 tickets.

> * Players on the losing server get no bonus.

>

> Gives something meaningful as a reward for winning.

They cannot give out more rewards for winning servers just for the fact that coverage is not balanced for every server, and that is an issue since it's a week long match in which for example someone could be on for as little as 10 mins for the week and get fully rewarded just for being on the server, even without proper rewards we still had stacking on some servers. That has been the issue holding up rewarding winners since day one. Over the years they've come up with solutions like the reward tracks and skirmish rewards, which you do at your own personal pace and participation and not relying on your server getting the win. The above suggestion would snowball stacking and gearing up the winners even faster. Also the tickets are locked on weekly amounts for a reason, but that's a discussion in another thread.

Maybe once the alliance system is in and we see that population has been spread more evenly through time zones they could take a look at rewarding winning more.

> The last time you faced BG there were at least 4 'fights' guilds that left, yet that is the experience you draw upon?

>

> CL, KnT, RISE, and one other that escapes me.

>

> Some of the most activity BG has seen has taken place since those guilds left. Look at GW stats.

The last time I personally faced BG was whenever the last matchup with Mag was before Mag got delinked. At that time KNT was still there. I think CL was there too. I even saw Crusik a couple times which was fun.

All those guys can be a lot of fun to fight. When they choose to just fight and stop worrying about the stupid objectives and the score BG is probably the most fun server to play against imo. The first three weeks when Mag went to t1 last year were the most fun I'd had in the game in years.

My hope is that over time BG server culture becomes more like what it used to be when I first went there: Don't worry about the score, just worry about taking your metaphorical fist and putting it down other player's metaphorical throats as forcefully and as often as possible. That's what it means to win the game.

Maybe that's already happening now that BG isn't dominating the world anymore I can't really say.

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > > > @"Shining One.1635" said:

> > > > >Why not split up so you can fight each other? Wouldn't you get the constant NA fights you want that way?

> > > >

> > > > I don't like fighting my friends. I like to fight people that I hate and I hate pretty much every other server.

> > >

> > > But yet, there is no one left to fight because no other server fights?

> >

> > More like the culture on every other server has become so objective oriented that most fights are predicated on an objective being on the line instead of just kinda running into each other over and over in an open area. There are plenty of people to fight and plenty of people who know how to fight but more and more they'll only fight if some kind of objective is on the line. That's what I really hate about most other servers on NA. It's not that they're all that bad at the game it's that they consistently make choices on the field that I absolutely despise and I refuse to be a part of.

> >

> > Take BG for example. Lot of very experienced pugs, some great commanders, can easily just focus on fighting whenever they want to, frequently choose to play the ppt siege turtle game instead. Why? Because too many people got obsessed with the idea of being the server that wins matchups instead of being the server that just wins fights. I remember when BG server culture wasn't so different from how Mag is now. I loved BG back then somewhere along the way it just got corrupted with this obsession with winning the stupid matchups.

>

> And if it's truly 'every other server' why does Mag bother then? By that definition, there is no one to fight.

Mag doesn't really bother anymore. A lot of Mag went to EU or quit the game or barely play.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > OP here: To settle all this PPK vs PPT discussion, Anet simply needs to provide rewards for winning.

> >

> > For example (and this is just an example):

> > * Each player on the winning server gets double bonus WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets. So, if you reached the top Diamond Skirmish Reward track you would have received 365 tickets. Double that to 730.

> > * Each player on the second place server gets a 1.5 bonus - so 547 tickets.

> > * Players on the losing server get no bonus.

> >

> > Gives something meaningful as a reward for winning.

>

> They cannot give out more rewards for winning servers just for the fact that coverage is not balanced for every server, and that is an issue since it's a week long match in which for example someone could be on for as little as 10 mins for the week and get fully rewarded just for being on the server, even without proper rewards we still had stacking on some servers. That has been the issue holding up rewarding winners since day one. Over the years they've come up with solutions like the reward tracks and skirmish rewards, which you do at your own personal pace and participation and not relying on your server getting the win. The above suggestion would snowball stacking and gearing up the winners even faster. Also the tickets are locked on weekly amounts for a reason, but that's a discussion in another thread.

>

> Maybe once the alliance system is in and we see that population has been spread more evenly through time zones they could take a look at rewarding winning more.

No, in my example, they would only get rewards based on the Skirmish level they reached. So, if they only got to Wood, Level 1 (25 tickets) and their server won, they would only get a bonus of 25 tickets (for a total of 50 overall). But that is only one example....I don't care - just give SOMETHING for winning the week.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> > @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > OP here: To settle all this PPK vs PPT discussion, Anet simply needs to provide rewards for winning.

> > >

> > > For example (and this is just an example):

> > > * Each player on the winning server gets double bonus WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets. So, if you reached the top Diamond Skirmish Reward track you would have received 365 tickets. Double that to 730.

> > > * Each player on the second place server gets a 1.5 bonus - so 547 tickets.

> > > * Players on the losing server get no bonus.

> > >

> > > Gives something meaningful as a reward for winning.

> >

> > They cannot give out more rewards for winning servers just for the fact that coverage is not balanced for every server, and that is an issue since it's a week long match in which for example someone could be on for as little as 10 mins for the week and get fully rewarded just for being on the server, even without proper rewards we still had stacking on some servers. That has been the issue holding up rewarding winners since day one. Over the years they've come up with solutions like the reward tracks and skirmish rewards, which you do at your own personal pace and participation and not relying on your server getting the win. The above suggestion would snowball stacking and gearing up the winners even faster. Also the tickets are locked on weekly amounts for a reason, but that's a discussion in another thread.

> >

> > Maybe once the alliance system is in and we see that population has been spread more evenly through time zones they could take a look at rewarding winning more.

>

> No, in my example, they would only get rewards based on the Skirmish level they reached. So, if they only got to Wood, Level 1 (25 tickets) and their server won, they would only get a bonus of 25 tickets (for a total of 50 overall). But that is only one example....I don't care - just give SOMETHING for winning the week.

It does not matter, you can get through tiers afk have the time, and you only got it because your server won it for you because of their coverage. As long as there's a coverage issue and being able to transfer servers, they cannot give out massive server win rewards. Like I said there's a reason tickets are capped and why they refuse to hand out bonus tickets, I highly doubt they would look at that as a bonus reward for winning so come up with a different reward suggestion.

mag is dead. people can continue to say mag is tanking so they can farm kd or that mag is a t1 server but if you have been on mag recently you'd know how dead it actually is, especially these last two weeks. we have zero coverage outside of NA, being closed and having no link has really hurt the server. We have no queues and barely can queue EBG anymore during NA prime. Even KEK was able to get on EBG both raids last week. that would never have been possible in the past

**General:** We won again! [Cheers] This is good. But what is best in life?

**Blackgate Silver Assaulter:** An empty borderland, T3 towers, Superior arrow carts, the wind in your hair.

**General:** Wrong! Maguuma, what is best in life?

**Maguuma Mithril Troll :** To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the rage-whispers of their commanders!

> @"Israel.7056" said:

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > Gives something meaningful as a reward for winning.

>

> Make it more granular than that; give a better reward for taking structures that are upgraded. Like a bunch of extra tickets or mystic coins or something like that.

>

> Give me some reason to spend hours trying to crack t3 keeps and I might consider trying to do it more often.

>

>

Doesn't want to spend hours trying to crack T3 keeps, yet Mag likes to tier up SMC to T3. So if T3 structures = siege fights, wouldn't you want to just let other servers swiss cheese SMC to bring you the most fights?

> @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > @"Israel.7056" said:

> > > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > > Gives something meaningful as a reward for winning.

> >

> > Make it more granular than that; give a better reward for taking structures that are upgraded. Like a bunch of extra tickets or mystic coins or something like that.

> >

> > Give me some reason to spend hours trying to crack t3 keeps and I might consider trying to do it more often.

> >

> >

>

> Doesn't want to spend hours trying to crack T3 keeps, yet Mag likes to tier up SMC to T3. So if T3 structures = siege fights, wouldn't you want to just let other servers swiss cheese SMC to bring you the most fights?

Um yeah. I'm fully in favor of letting SMC stay paper.

> @"Israel.7056" said:

>

> > The last time you faced BG there were at least 4 'fights' guilds that left, yet that is the experience you draw upon?

> >

> > CL, KnT, RISE, and one other that escapes me.

> >

> > Some of the most activity BG has seen has taken place since those guilds left. Look at GW stats.

>

> The last time I personally faced BG was whenever the last matchup with Mag was before Mag got delinked. At that time KNT was still there. I think CL was there too. I even saw Crusik a couple times which was fun.

>

> All those guys can be a lot of fun to fight. When they choose to just fight and stop worrying about the stupid objectives and the score BG is probably the most fun server to play against imo. The first three weeks when Mag went to t1 last year were the most fun I'd had in the game in years.

>

> My hope is that over time BG server culture becomes more like what it used to be when I first went there: Don't worry about the score, just worry about taking your metaphorical fist and putting it down other player's metaphorical throats as forcefully and as often as possible. That's what it means to win the game.

>

> Maybe that's already happening now that BG isn't dominating the world anymore I can't really say.

Again, they all left since you fought BG last. And BGs activity is higher now than when they were there.

And as you know, no one else has come on.

So, fights have gone up since the fights guilds left?

Go figure.