Aurene griffon skin?

so i was playing the bug in the system storyline (kinda late to the party i know) and in the mission where you meet Aurene up on the cliff over the olmakhan village, i noticed Aurene did the idle griffon animation (again, everyone properly know this by now) and i was wondering if its gonna be possible to get her as a skin, or just be able to ride her in the story. What do you think?

(i havent finished it yet so maybe you do get to ride her, in that case i will just delete the post)

I think it's highly unlikely we'll get Aurene as a griffon skin because I think a lot of people would object to seeing dozens of Aurene's flying around (even if most of them would be dyed) and because all the skins we've had so far - even the 2,000 gem ones - have been 'generic' creatures rather than a specific individual.

But equally I'll be very surprised if we never get to ride Aurene in a story instance, maybe more than 1. Maybe it's just the Pern fan in me talking but it seems totally illogical to me to have a friendly dragon in a game with flying mount mechanics and not let you ride that dragon. As you said she uses the same animations and therefore quite possibly the same model as the griffon. And after her magic induced growth spurt she's about the size of a griffon so it just makes sense to me that we'd get to fly on her at some point.

One benefit of doing it within a story instance is they could then make it possible for her to stay up indefinitely, unlike the griffon. It would have to be done in a way that fits the existing mechanics and doesn't make things too easy (so probably no hovering). Maybe something like the volcano instance in Flashpoint where the thermals mean you're constantly rising when gliding, so it's possible to glide indefinitely.

> @"Antivillian.1250" said:

> Using the same rig is fine, its economical.

>

> Having people ride Aurene, especially out of instances undermines her regal demeanour. The way I see it, it's like a centaur chief. In the context of the world it's not a done thing.

This is a good point too. Aurene likes the player character, but she's still a dragon. Already she's very independent and only helping us on her own terms. In between she's doing her own thing. She's not the kind of creature who would willingly follow the Commander around waiting to be summoned as a mount, or even being called when needed.

I imagine her being kind of like the dragons in Robin Hobb's books - they may, on occasion, agree to carry a human they like, but it's because the dragon wants the human to get to their destination quickly (or flying is the only way to get there) and agrees that being carried by a dragon is the best way. If you asked a dragon to carry you when they didn't want to you'd be very lucky to be ignored. They'd be just as likely to kill you for it.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> I have little doubt we’ll ever see her as a mount *in story instances*, but I’m quite sure the majority would be against her being an open world skin, as it would undermine her *uniquity/regality*

^This.

I wouldn't bet against a dragon archetype mount skin, though, it just won't be Aurene.

> @"Winston.7285" said:

> so i was playing the bug in the system storyline (kinda late to the party i know) and in the mission where you meet Aurene up on the cliff over the olmakhan village, i noticed Aurene did the idle griffon animation (again, everyone properly know this by now) and i was wondering if its gonna be possible to get her as a skin, or just be able to ride her in the story. What do you think?

>

> (i havent finished it yet so maybe you do get to ride her, in that case i will just delete the post)

I noticed her animation set the moment I saw the Griffin run cycle. I've been waiting patiently for that skin ever since then.

> @"Ashabhi.1365" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > I have little doubt we’ll ever see her as a mount *in story instances*, but I’m quite sure the majority would be against her being an open world skin, as it would undermine her *uniquity/regality*

>

> ^This.

> I wouldn't bet against a dragon archetype mount skin, though, it just won't be Aurene.

^ which is more likely, and would be just as good as long as the skin looked decent. I'm starting to wonder if Aurene has the ability to create facets like Glint did, and use them like Champions in fights.

> @"Winston.7285" said:

> i was wondering if its gonna be possible to get her as a skin, or just be able to ride her in the story. What do you think?

>

I think when the season ends we will be able to, probably in the last chapter if she is fully grown by then, I also think the new beetle mount is partly there to replace the fact that they will not sell many griffon skins after giving us Aurene as a skin.