Question on gearing

Have not played the game in a while, left shortly after hitting max level.

Thinking of coming back, but when I look at gearing guides it all lists for me to buy stuff. What about running dungeons to gear? Is that a thing?

I am used to the WoW and ESO models of, play the game, do content, get rewarded with gear.

Is guild wars strictly a buy the gear for gold system? Where do the people selling it get the gear from?

You can do dungeons for exotic level gear, but it takes a long time to get the necessary tokens, whereas a similar level of gear off the trading post is usually relatively cheap. It would take far less time to farm up 10g for armor, versus weeks of doing dungeon runs to acquire enough tokens to get the same gear.

gear does drop..but it's very rare.

Generally quicker and easier to buy from TP

You can earn dungeon tokens to save towards exotic gear.

There are also reward tracks in WvW or PvP that can earn you gear.

You have to craft ascended gear, but most things are doable with exotics.

Legendary gear is earned via Raids or WvW.

Fractals have a higher chance of dropping gear than general pve/dungeons.

You can try and get loot from events, dungeons, etc.. but rare and exotic are very uncommon gear to get so you will mostly get green/blue gear.

The fastest way to get gear is to buy it off the 'Trading Post'. if you want easy gold you many options the easiest way of course is to buy gold with gems. You can join farm maps as well, ex cetera.

Wait for more comments, I get gold from buying/Farm maps I don't know may ways of obtaining them since I'm not really paying attention to other methods but I doubt these two are the only ones you can try.

Information:

Trading Post - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trading_Post

Loot - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loot

Meta Events - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_meta_events

> @"Danny.8596" said:

> What about loot drops? Dungeon sets? If I kill X boss he doesn't drop a cool helmet or sword or anything?

Not really.

Tequetal (sparkfly fen world boss), has a extremely rare chance of dropping an ascended box.

I've played for 5 years and I've only gotten one.

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> You can do dungeons for exotic level gear, but it takes a long time to get the necessary tokens, whereas a similar level of gear off the trading post is usually relatively cheap. It would take far less time to farm up 10g for armor, versus weeks of doing dungeon runs to acquire enough tokens to get the same gear.

The eight path repeatable achieve makes this not really the case... can have enough tokens for a full set in a couple hours if you really want... most people don't want to bother forming that kind of group anymore, though.

I noted that people are also completely ignoring crafting. People selling the gear on the TP either got it from drops or crafted it. Dungeon gear isn't salable. HoT stats don't drop. The other option for gearing exotic is PvP or WvW armor reward tracks. Complete the track six times, have six stat selectable armor pieces... any core stats and any stats from expansions that you own. Even better, once you unlock the base skins, you can repurchase them with pvp/wvw currency without having to do the reward track again.

> @"Danny.8596" said:

> I am sorry being the new guy dumb questions for this but I am just super confused right now.

>

> What do you all do at max level if not go after gear progression through dungeons and raids?

>

> Is farming gold to buy gear the end game?

Dungeons gear table was developed before ascended armor was a thing, so they aren't really involved in gearing anymore. The PvE endgame is mainly in Fractals of the Mists and Raids. Fractals in particular, you will eventually need full ascended and the appropriate infusions in order to bring your agony resistance up to an eventual 150 AR to survive the highest difficulty. If you check the daily tab in game, you will see a 'daily fractal' area, and the rewards for doing those can drop ascended gear with fair frequency. The only content that really has the kind of system where you kill it, and it drops it's gear for you to have is in Raids. Exotic level gear is just so cheap that it isn't usually a big deal to obtain.

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> > @"Danny.8596" said:

> > I am sorry being the new guy dumb questions for this but I am just super confused right now.

> >

> > What do you all do at max level if not go after gear progression through dungeons and raids?

> >

> > Is farming gold to buy gear the end game?

>

> Dungeons gear table was developed before ascended armor was a thing, so they aren't really involved in gearing anymore. The PvE endgame is mainly in Fractals of the Mists and Raids. Fractals in particular, you will eventually need full ascended and the appropriate infusions in order to bring your agony resistance up to an eventual 150 AR to survive the highest difficulty. If you check the daily tab in game, you will see a 'daily fractal' area, and the rewards for doing those can drop ascended gear with fair frequency. The only content that really has the kind of system where you kill it, and it drops it's gear for you to have is in Raids. Exotic level gear is just so cheap that it isn't usually a big deal to obtain.

To expand on this, Gear progression isn't REALLY a thing in this game. There isn't much of a benefit from the small amount of extra stat points you get going from exotic to ascended (like, a 12% damage increase at most?). People refer to the game as "fashion wars" for a reason because it's largely focused on collecting prestigious weapon and armor skins, titles, and similar. I find that end game is what you make of it. I like making the appearance of this or that character **just right** and will grind towards certain prestige skins to do it, but other times I'll just do content that challenges me personally like soloing dungeon paths or fractals that are meant as group content, or running Challenge Motes or Raids. Other times I'll do map completion/exploration on a character cause I actually enjoy the exploration, or do metas cause I genuinely enjoy playing the game. If gear progression is something you need in order to enjoy a game, this probably isn't the game for you. Once you have an ascended set, you never need another for that character... at best you might have to get easy materials to change the stats on it in the Mystic Forge. They will never raise the level cap, invalidating the stats of the old gear and forcing you to grind for new. That's just not a thing here.

Basic exotic gear (berserker's for Power, Rabid for condi) is cheap on the trading post. In the current market, it's faster to do whatever you like to earn a little gold to buy the gear. After you have a budget exotic set, then come back and ask about optimizing and/or working on basic Ascended (there are plenty of guides, shortcuts, and achievements for obtaining some of that). And once you have your first of that, it becomes straightforward to start min-maxing.

Additional Reading

* [Why Rabid is Best for Condi (usually)](

)

1. (
https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tp/search?rarity=Exotic&type=Armor&weightclass=Heavy&level-min=80&ipg=100&prefix=berserker&cust-search=sell%2Cbuy) (modify for medium or light) (about 10-12 gold total for heavy)

1. (
https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tp/search?rarity=Exotic&type=Armor&weightclass=Heavy&level-min=80&ipg=100&prefix=rabid&cust-search=sell%2Cbuy) (under 3 gold total for heavy)

Do the dailies for 2 days for Rabid, for a week for zerker and you'll have a set.

Exotic gear is semi-end game gear that is very easy to obtain. It is sufficient for most of what you will do in the game. Most people will not be satisfied with exotic gear alone though, and will work towards Ascended gear. A full set of ascended gear is considered 10-12% better than exotic? Something like that.

Getting Ascended gear is actually quite a grind, especially the first time. It is not a direct "farm this boss for this certain item" type of grind though. Ascended armor and weapons are crafted through using tons of smaller crating materials that take quite a bit of time or gold to acquire. You can get Ascended armor and weapons other than crafting, but generally it is so rare and random that they are not a reliable way to gear a character.

Ascended trinkets can be acquired a few different ways, but one of the fastest ways is to play through and farm the living world episodes. Mostly season 3 and now season 4. You farm the particular maps currency and use that to purchase the stat selectable ascended trinkets from a local merchant.

TLDR: Level 80 exotic gear is fast, cheap and easy to obtain and will get you through most everything you want to do. Ascended on the other hand requires a much bigger time and or financial investment and gives you something to work towards end game.

> @"Danny.8596" said:

> I am sorry being the new guy dumb questions for this but I am just super confused right now.

>

> What do you all do at max level if not go after gear progression through dungeons and raids?

>

> Is farming gold to buy gear the end game?

We play the content and worry little about the gear. At max level players will be doing;

- story

- Open world activities

- Collections and achievements

- Raids and fractals

- WvW

- Spvp

- Guild hall building

- Customising a look on characters

- Legendary crafting ( stats on par with ascended and mostly is for the skins)

With the exception of fractals, a specific gear is not required. Raids can be done in easy to obtain gear, even if many groups prefer to max out. Gear is more skin orientated than anything else in the game and exclusives exist for all types of content, but the gear treadmill is not a big focus for the game overall.