Griffon updraft mastery!

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> would take too much away from gliders. also dont forget that you can mount up in midair.

Then what about implementing the ability to dismount in midair?

You could use griffon to get near updraft -> dismount -> use glider to perform the updraft -> mount on griffon again.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > would take too much away from gliders. also dont forget that you can mount up in midair.

>

> Then what about implementing the ability to dismount in midair?

> You could use griffon to get near updraft -> dismount -> use glider to perform the updraft -> mount on griffon again.

Anet said they specifically chose to not allow dismounting in midair. It doesn't seem likely that they'll change their minds on that. http://dulfy.net/2017/08/31/gw2-mounts-guild-chat-livestream-coverage/

"We intentionally disallow dismount in midair as it can break stuff such as having players to use springer to launch themselves really high in the air and then glide."

Btw. There is another simple solution. Game could just dismount character, if caught in updraft while on Griffon ( same like falling in water ), forcing player to properly react and switch to Glider. Once updraft is used, and you out of it's effect, player can simply mount Griffon again.

This also can add a little bit challenging content.

> @"Aeon.4583" said:

> Btw. There is another simple solution. Game could just dismount character, if caught in updraft while on Griffon ( same like falling in water ), forcing player to properly react and switch to Glider. Once updraft is used, and you out of it's effect, player can simply mount Griffon again.

>

> This also can add a little bit challenging content.

And players who have PoF but not HoT will simply have to live with plummeting to their death if they accidentally pass an updraft on their griffon? That's not challenge, that's a death trap, especially since updrafts are often close to invisible in daylight.

I think they indeed missed an opportunity for some "fan service" and reward people that have both parts of the game by adding "mixed masteries". That is, Masteries that use points from Maguuma and the Desert, this would be one of them, allowing mounts to use bouncing mushrooms would be another, could even add a mastery to allow the skimmer to float in ley lines, and that would be awesome!

Sadly, Arena Net decided to work in fully contained units since, apparently, they developed a bit of a company-wide control mania since developing GW2. After HoT it's a bit worse, because then they created this schedules and systems and templates, and everything must follow that cookie cutter mould or the world will crumble.

Of course this kind of approach has a lot of problems with it, mostly that it starts to get repetitive...

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > (ex daily Hot Vista viewer - glide out of lost precipice using up drafts in VB for that closest vista).

>

> Surely you just go to the Jaka Itzel WP (in the village) where there's a walkable vista about 20 feet away?

Actually, it turns out I'm wrong on this.

The vista is 68 feet away.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> And players who have PoF but not HoT will simply have to live with plummeting to their death if they accidentally pass an updraft on their griffon? That's not challenge, that's a death trap, especially since updrafts are often close to invisible in daylight.

This also means that PoF-only players have no HoT content unlocked, and therefore should not be affected by it, including negative effects.

Otherwise, simple ability to dismount from Griffon, without insta-regen of endurance on re-mount while in midair is not bad. But i speak about midair dismount only for Griffon mount.

As i said before, Glider provides more precise landing. Griffon mount takes that away from Glider.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > > (ex daily Hot Vista viewer - glide out of lost precipice using up drafts in VB for that closest vista).

> >

> > Surely you just go to the Jaka Itzel WP (in the village) where there's a walkable vista about 20 feet away?

>

> Actually, it turns out I'm wrong on this.

>

> The vista is 68 feet away.

Eh, it costs silver to get there. If you have an Ember Bay portal scroll, though, the vista there is nearly as close, without risk of falling off a branch, or needing a specific GH and a map transition.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > > > (ex daily Hot Vista viewer - glide out of lost precipice using up drafts in VB for that closest vista).

> > >

> > > Surely you just go to the Jaka Itzel WP (in the village) where there's a walkable vista about 20 feet away?

> >

> > Actually, it turns out I'm wrong on this.

> >

> > The vista is 68 feet away.

>

> Eh, it costs silver to get there. If you have an Ember Bay portal scroll, though, the vista there is nearly as close, without risk of falling off a branch, or needing a specific GH and a map transition.

Good point. Thanks for mentioning it.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally understand why it isn't a thing and won't be, but I really wish it would be. I feel like all my HoT masteries became pointless the moment PoF started, just like the season masteries become pointless the moment you're no long in the zone for that chapter... I wish they introduced updrafts, ley lines and jumping mushrooms to PoF maps in some areas where it wouldn't allow you to bypass the need for mounts, but might allow people to get to certain areas before they have the mount that would make the effort so much easier.

Again, I get why they didn't, and probably won't, I just wish they would. Moreover, doing so might make people who got PoF but not HoT be interested enough to look into HoT for those things