New Materials Missing from Storage

Nidome.1365

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> With the arrival of Path of Fire, many new materials and components will be added to Material Storage. But for a handful of items, we've specifically decided not to start with them in Material Storage, and instead to add them to the storage system later. Why? Well, at the launch of Heart of Thorns, we noticed a peculiar behavior: most players will deposit first when clearing their inventory, and then proceed to take actions like salvaging, opening chests, or, crucially, putting items on the Trading Post. This tended to mean that before a player will post an item on the Trading Post, they'll wait to accrue a full stack in their Material Storage. During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

>

> In an experiment to see if we can combat the early steep price of a handful of materials, we will launch Path of Fire without those items being depositable. Once we are comfortable with the supply and price—which we believe should become apparent in weeks, not months—we will add them to material storage.

>

> We know how important inventory space is to players, and we take seriously how much of your time is spent playing versus managing your play. Hopefully, this decision will help ensure a steady supply of materials to the market, without unduly burdening your bags.

>

Edit to include link to Gaile's post: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/129465

They put down the shortage of materials such as flax at HoT release due to people banking them - I'm sure the vast quantities needed for guild upgrades on everyone's newly acquired guild halls was probably a bigger factor - not to mention the quantities initially required for scribe recipes (before they reduced quantities in a number of them).

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> Yes, this is Anet's way of telling to **_SELL SELL SELL_** those new materials. Instead, I'm just putting them in my bank for later use.

>

Well either it's working, or no one's figured out what to use them for yet. Whenever I get them I consider selling them, then decide they're not worth enough and I'll hold onto them.

> @Danikat.8537 said:

> > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > Yes, this is Anet's way of telling to **_SELL SELL SELL_** those new materials. Instead, I'm just putting them in my bank for later use.

> >

>

> Well either it's working, or no one's figured out what to use them for yet. Whenever I get them I consider selling them, then decide they're not worth enough and I'll hold onto them.

Or it worked perfectly so that prices never spiked in the first place (which was the entire point behind the exercise).