[No Story Spoilers] Roller Beetle Review

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > > > > The fact that the raptor still beast this thing out for medium distance movement kind of annoys me. IF you can get there in 2 raptor jumps or maybe 3 or 4 raptor jumps even there is no point to use the roller beetle due to not having a boost on mounting.

> > > > >

> > > > > For going cross map distances the quickest the griffin from a choice high point will still move you the quickest in the air with its masteries completed.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Sounds about right to me. They'd want to keep each mount have its niche, not make one universal that renders all other useless. Same reason griffon has such a low base speed.

> > >

> > > To be honest Griffon even feels like it has a higher base land speed than roller beetle or maybe its just the fact that you can jump and flap and increase your speed a bit more when gliding even super low to the ground with it. In any case it does not feel odd and uncomfortable. I wouldn't likely even consider it a problem if you started at least some (50%, 66% ,75%) endurance to boost with upon mounting I think changing that would change its uncomfortable feeling with it.

> >

> > Wouldn't that make the beetle straight-out superior to the raptor?

>

> Is there a reason it shouldn't be?

Yes, there is - mounts should retain their usability under different conditions, not be replaced by the next released one. It's the gear treadmill all over again.

But I see what you mean after playing around with the beetle for a while. It *does* feel slow to start, especially if you don't have a downward slope to gain some speed on it.

My take on the beetle:

Right now, it's a fad item. It has a specific use (breaking walls) just as there are for the rest (cliffs for bunny, water for skimmer, run/jump for raptor, limited flight for griffon, and teleport for jackal.) I think that even though the speed is there for rapidly running across waypoint-less maps, I think that all the hype will fade into situational use just as it has for all the rest.

For me personally, it's just not all that and a bag of chips. It's clunky, it's boring, and the animations are vague. I can do what I want so much easier with the other options I already had. In the end, I got it because of the completionist in me.

> @"BlueMelody.6398" said:

> I also don't notice the drift to have that much impact on turning, even when held down continuously.

You use the drift key in short bursts, not long continuous holds. Let's say I want to turn into that tunnel full of Awakened Inquest up ahead. As I get near, I use the right mouse button and a mouse movement to start the turn, and of course it will fail miserably, except that when I'm almost in line with the tunnel, I hold "drift" for about half a second, continuing to turn, and Petey kinda snaps onto the new heading.

Precise consistency on drifts is hard, but the drift most certainly does aid tight turns. Um. Tighter than otherwise. Shanks's Pony remains the only mount that allows you unlimited turning freedom.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > The 3rd mastery enables you to regain endurance faster. I haven't unlocked it yet so I don't yet have a feeling for how well it works, but it's there.

>

> You should unlock all the masteries before you start trying to assume things

> The 3rd mastery actually take some skill and timing to use other wise its pretty much useless. IF you Fail the trick mid air by hitting the ground before you complete the trick you lose on average more energy than you gained for attempting the trick. Not to mention this is only useful when you are in the air.

>

> My buff would be to restore energy by drifting as well as performing mid air tricks.

Not "trying to assume" anything, just stating facts. I have unlocked it by now and I stick to what I said. The fact that the 3rd mastery takes some skill is anything but an argument against it. Moving around and turning on a beetle take skill as well, since it's a high velocity mode of transportation. That's supposed to require skill. The desert gives you plenty of opportunity to shoot through the air and finish a successful move. I still don't see a problem here.

> @"Kumouta.4985" said:

> can it drift? how?

You need to have some speed. Watch your trail jet trail on the back of your saddle.

Blue is the lowest speed you cannot drift at this speed.

Purple is moderate speed you can drift at this speed.

Orange is your top speed its rare that you can find areas that will let you hold this speed for a long period of time but you can drift at this speed as well

To drift you need to use the secondary mount skill button check your keybind settings to see what button its on.

Mine was set to "C" by default. I changed it to a mouse button to make it easier for me. (do note that you can use any key even if the game tells you it will overwrite another key function.

For example if "Alt" is your elite skill

You can set "Alt" to your secondary mount skill button and it will give you the warning that this key is bound to another function.

Do not worry about this. "Alt" will retain its dismounted function bind and its mounted function bind

Hope this helps.