Some questions about Elona's civil war

Throughout the Living Story Episode, and the one preceding it, there has been repeated mention of Palawa Joko essentially "declaring war", unleashing his armies on Tyria first, and then planning to spread the Scarab Plague. This would certainly be a valid casus belli for any of the larger Tyrian people or nations to come about and view this as a formal declaration of war. Yet, in the episodes we mostly see the Commander acting on their own behalf, and allying together a series of distinctly Elonian factions into a major alliance. In fact, the guild Dragon's Watch and their allies seem to be the _only_ faction that actively "is at war", while the Tyrian nations themselves seem entirely absent from the conflict, asides from the Krytan / Pact outreach mission to Amoon .

In fact, this war seems much less aimed at Central Tyria, but rather seems to be the culmination of a civil war that was brewing since Path of Fire. The Commander is able to gather the needed allies from the Istani Sunspears, Corsairs, Olmakhan and the Primeval Dynasties. This indeed seems to be confirmed by Palawa Joko's notion that this is an _insurrection_ rather than an _invasion_.

- **To what extent are the Central Tyrian people / nations involved in the war on Palawa Joko?** Is the Pact outreach mission the only response, and what was it meant to achieve? Or is this really just a domestic civil war the commander has (accidentally) unleashed on the way?

- **Is there a reason the Order of Shadows were not present as keystone allies for such an important event?** I seem to recall that removing Palawa Joko was one of their main goals, which makes it very strange indeed that they would be (or appear to be) entirely absent for a direct attack on his citadel.

- **What is motivating the Corsairs to be part of this war?** From what I recall, Sayida the Sly was an extremely mercenary chraracter who seems to have become a surprisingly reliable ally with a strong fleet to boot out of the blue. Is she being paid for her contribution, or are there other considerations which have mellowed her pirate heart?

A final note of thanks: I have _lived_ Guild Wars 2 for the last three years, ever since Heart of Thorns was announced, and remain exceedingly happy to have been a part of the amazing journey that you've all taken us on since then. Thank you so much for creating a slice of a world I hold so dear.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"TyrusVE.8742" said:

> - **To what extent are the Central Tyrian people / nations involved in the war on Palawa Joko?** Is the Pact outreach mission the only response, and what was it meant to achieve? Or is this really just a domestic civil war the commander has (accidentally) unleashed on the way?

The Pact sent supplies as a gesture of goodwill, but Tyria has largely been able to handle the Awakened incursions, especially since the gates into Tyria got shut down, so Joko declaring war on Tyria was received in Tyria largely with a "...okay, my dude. Good luck with that." But even for him, this isn't about Tyria, it's about the Commander. That was largely grandstanding. Had he been able to actually deploy the Scarab Plague in the way he wanted, it would have been serious, but the Commander shut that down.

> - **Is there a reason the Order of Shadows were not present as keystone allies for such an important event?** I seem to recall that removing Palawa Joko was one of their main goals, which makes it very strange indeed that they would be (or appear to be) entirely absent for a direct attack on his citadel.

They're more spies than fighters.

> - **What is motivating the Corsairs to be part of this war?** From what I recall, Sayida the Sly was an extremely mercenary chraracter who seems to have become a surprisingly reliable ally with a strong fleet to boot out of the blue. Is she being paid for her contribution, or are there other considerations which have mellowed her pirate heart?

Complete chaos is bad for business, and she's making a bet that you're going to win, and whoever takes over governing Elona is going to be someone who was on your side, so her help is in the nature of an investment.

> @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> Complete chaos is bad for business, and she's making a bet that you're going to win, and whoever takes over governing Elona is going to be someone who was on your side, so her help is in the nature of an investment.

Wasn't there something in episode 2 about gaining renown on the tail of the commander's exploits too?

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > Complete chaos is bad for business, and she's making a bet that you're going to win, and whoever takes over governing Elona is going to be someone who was on your side, so her help is in the nature of an investment.

>

> Wasn't there something in episode 2 about gaining renown on the tail of the commander's exploits too?

Yup. Helping you is good PR for her.

Thanks a lot for the answers! It's interesting to see how the Commander and Palawa Joko "accidentally" liberate a country due to their squabbling. It plays nicely into the monologue about the Commander and Dragon's Watch causing chaos. It'll be interesting to see where you guys take Elona in future, now that the capstone of the United Kingdom is missing.

I can imagine there'll be a fair bit of politics and Loyalist holdouts to deal with.

> @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > @"Jessica Price.1649" said:

> > > Complete chaos is bad for business, and she's making a bet that you're going to win, and whoever takes over governing Elona is going to be someone who was on your side, so her help is in the nature of an investment.

> >

> > Wasn't there something in episode 2 about gaining renown on the tail of the commander's exploits too?

>

> Yup. Helping you is good PR for her.

I'm assuming there's healthy lust for glory there, too - just like her ancestor!

"Margrid God-killer. Now that pirate name will become legend!"