Computer Crashes after 10-15 minutes of gameplay

As of recently my computer has started having problems and crashing, but only with this game. What happens is after 10-15 minutes I have green and purple pixelized space invader looking things pop up around my screen, then I'll black screen and usually the computer restarts. Not sure what could be causing this, but its rather irritating to say the least.

Specs: (All Stock clock speeds)

Cpu: i7-6700k

Mobo: Gigabyte z170 G1 Gaming 7

Gpu: Zotac gtx 1080 Amp extreme

Ram: 32gb Ripjaws 4 DDR4

Psu: Corsair RM1000x

You have, I'm sad to say, a hardware problem, or a driver problem, of some sort. I'd start with the graphics card on the basis that you get strange graphical effects, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a GPU issue.

Anyway, start with ensuring you reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU, and if that doesn't fix it, my rough order of precedence would be:

* check the card is seated well in the PCI slot, and

* check the power cables are connected properly to it, and

* verify the fans on the GPU, the CPU, and the case are clean and functional, and

* verify you are getting a PCI-E 16x link while the game is running using GPU-Z

You could also check the Windows Event Viewer to see if any hardware or driver error reports made it there, as they may be illuminating. That is rare, in the situation you describe, but not impossible.

Good luck.

^

Can try 3D mark from Steam for that. Basic edition is free.

Also check temperatures of the graphics card. Funy random pixels are often sign of too much overclock and/or running too hot. And yes, even it you didn't overclock it further, the amp extreme edition is factory overclocked. Maybe it's too much for a hot summer day.

Take out the graphics card and see if there is loads of dust accumulated in the fan.

> @"Kiza.5630" said:

> Take out the graphics card and see if there is loads of dust accumulated in the fan.

If so, use an old toothbrush you aren't going to use again as a toothbrush(1) to remove the dust. And remove it from the heat sink under the fan as well. Make sure the brush is thoroughly dry before you do it. (If you buy a new one for this, get a *soft* one.)

(1) Trust me, you aren't going to *want* to use it as a toothbrush after that. The dust will be mostly dead skin cells (people-skin), but also bits of hair (human, pets, etc.), insect or spider(2) droppings, and ... other things. You don't want that in your mouth, do you? :s

(2) Spiders aren't insects.

This is a sign of your PSU being overstressed. This is often the case of overclocking your components or having a total wattage threshold higher than the PSU will permit. As there is not enough juice going to all components, especially the GPU, Windows believes it is faulting, and the system throws a lot of junk -- including the aforementioned graphical artifacts -- at you before hitting the panic button and throwing a BSoD.

One thing you should know: always aim for 100-200w above expectations in your PSU. If you built for 500, aim for 650+. Nothing wrong having a PSU that allows more watts than your components do -- because other components besides your GPU + CPU need it. Your storage media, optical drives, USB components (yes, your USB components), memory -- add up real quick and can reach or breach your PSU wattage (because overclocking *will* demand more wattage).

So not only that, clear dust from your internal components. I highly suggest canned air for general dust clearing. Most electronics shops carry it.

Sounds quite likely to be a GPU related issue. Make sure you sit the graphic cards properly. I ever encountered an issue where it is the VGA cable's fault, not because it is loose but the cable itself is faulty.

If resitting GPU doesn't help, doesn't hurt to try another VGA/HDMI etc cable.