Transmutation Charges

> @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> I spent over an hour doing WvW now but still no Transmutation Charges, none of the chests gave a single one. Do I need to buy them there or something? I'm really not getting this and it's starting to get well annoying.

You get 2 per reward track and can get them from the skirmish chests. Skirmish chests come from having participation of 3 or above (basically do events til the circle above your minimap says participation 3 or more), then you will start receiving pips which will be awarded based on a number of variables, including your wvw rank, your wvw warscore placement, if you are outnumbered, if you complete the wood division from last weeks matchup and if you command a squad of 5 or more. One hour of wvw is unlikely to net your anything at all. Gotta pump those numbers up!

The Triumphant armor reward track has transmutation charges.

As for spvp the same is true for the Glorious armor reward track.

Map completion is, PvE wise, a relatively easy and quick method to obtain them.

I recommend getting new armor/weapons at levels 35, 60 and 80. So you will need roughly 7-8 charges per new set. Total of around 24 charges. This is doable just completing various maps, opening Black Lion chests as you get keys and doing reward tracks in spvp and WvW.

Once you get to 80 you can start slowly swapping in ascended and your charges will start saving up more.

Well, I want to actually play the PvE content so spending more time on this is out of the question then, I thought an hour would atleast net me some of them. How something so simple as this can give so much grief... :(

It's not AS bad as SWTOR that required real money just to change your hair, but it's damn close in my opinion.

I really feel one should be able to transmute using normal in-game currency, atleast as you're leveling up and going through lots of upgrades. It's one of those issues that is even steering me away from wanting to play at all. It is what it is I suppose.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > You can work on a WvW Reward Track without partaking in any PvP; several WvW Dailies don't require interaction (or seldom interaction) with other players. Such as: Big Spender, Veteran Creature Slayer, Land Claimer, Master of Monuments, etc.

> >

> > Good luck.

>

> Hmm thanks, I have to look into this. If I don't have to PvP it's definately a good option!

Land Claimer involves killing 1 NPC, same for Veteran Creature Slayer (there's at least 3 creatures on each borderland).

Master of monuments is basically capture-the-point; no NPC or player interaction at all

Big Spender; you need to spend at least 25 Badges of Honor. You can buy a few siege blueprints from the respective vendor and if you take a level 80 there's 1 vendor which also sells some soulbound skins which even if you can't use for your class will unlock the skin in the wardrobe. HOWEVER this can also save a charge later on if there's a basic skin in the list you like as you can use a few Badges in place of a trans-charge.

> Well, I want to actually play the PvE content so spending more time on this is out of the question then, I thought an hour would atleast net me some of them. How something so simple as this can give so much grief... :(

>

> It's not AS bad as SWTOR that required real money just to change your hair, but it's kitten close in my opinion.

>

> I really feel one should be able to transmute using normal in-game currency, atleast as you're leveling up and going through lots of upgrades. It's one of those issues that is even steering me away from wanting to play at all. It is what it is I suppose.

You can also buy gems using gold and then buy charges using those gems. It’s not very efficient though.

I agree it can be slow going at first but you should be able to get a decent number as you play through the story. The base game story/maps alone are worth a decent number.

I have something near 300 transmutation charges from map completion- city maps + southsun (7 maps in total) are 100% guarenteed to give them and all other maps are something like 75% trans charge and 25% black lion key- giving you the extra benefit of black lion keys.

That's - on one character - 28 maps in core game + 7 maps which give transmutes only, (totalling to 35 core maps), 4 maps and 6 living world maps in HoT, and 5 maps and 3 so far living world maps in PoF, totalling to- if one had every expansion and living world ep - 7 maps for 100% trans charges and a whopping 46 maps which have a 75% chance for transmutation charge (in a world of probability perfectly aligning to reality, that's an average of 41 charges and 12 black lion keys per character).

Okay, it can take a few days even if you have a lot of free time...but that's a lot for free. If you can burn through 41 charges in a couple days then you're either transmuting every peice of new armor on a character as they level up (i wouldn't reccommend this unless you have hundreds to waste - armor gets replaced every couple levels so it's a waste of a charge really) in which case - wait til lv80 and transmute only then, or you like replacing armor skins every few hours/minutes- in which case i'd recommend keeping a lot of armor on your character and having several peices permanently transmuted to your favourite combos (a friend of mine keeps around 5 outfits they cycle through on one character...while i fear their inventory slots taken by this, it means they save on charges for very frequent appearance changes.)

> So I just got back to game and was immediately impressed with how much the game has improved while I wasn't playing. So much to do, and such a great community (like REALLY great people you meet in game.), but I've yet to figure out what gives Transmutation Charges...

>

> I noticed that map completion gives them, but apart from that? I've been doing events for days and not a single drop of them. When playing a level 80 it's not a problem but as you level up you get to a point where you can't keep your gear the way you designed your look.

>

> While I hope for some good replies about how to get them if events aren't giving them, I got a suggestion on how it could be updated to help leveling players a bit:

>

> * If we are using a skin for an item and we get another item of that kind, allow us to pay some in-game money to immediately skin the item, but also make it soulbound to that character to prevent abuse. This way we can keep our look and help the game with an extra money sink. At level 80 you could possibly even remove this feature, but don't really see an issue with having it.

>

> Transmutation Charges is really only the one thing I have an issue with, I'm very fond of making alts and this is really punishing for people like me :)

TC's should be phased out completely. It's one of the most redundant and out-dated parts of the game, regardless of how easy or difficult it is for any player. Either find a better, more profitable system for skin changing or focus more on the mount skins and less on this old system.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> > So I just got back to game and was immediately impressed with how much the game has improved while I wasn't playing. So much to do, and such a great community (like REALLY great people you meet in game.), but I've yet to figure out what gives Transmutation Charges...

> >

> > I noticed that map completion gives them, but apart from that? I've been doing events for days and not a single drop of them. When playing a level 80 it's not a problem but as you level up you get to a point where you can't keep your gear the way you designed your look.

> >

> > While I hope for some good replies about how to get them if events aren't giving them, I got a suggestion on how it could be updated to help leveling players a bit:

> >

> > * If we are using a skin for an item and we get another item of that kind, allow us to pay some in-game money to immediately skin the item, but also make it soulbound to that character to prevent abuse. This way we can keep our look and help the game with an extra money sink. At level 80 you could possibly even remove this feature, but don't really see an issue with having it.

> >

> > Transmutation Charges is really only the one thing I have an issue with, I'm very fond of making alts and this is really punishing for people like me :)

>

> TC's should be phased out completely. It's one of the most redundant and out-dated parts of the game, regardless of how easy or difficult it is for any player. Either find a better, more profitable system for skin changing or focus more on the mount skins and less on this old system.

I agree with this, if it turns out TCs are a really small part of what they make any money on. If most people save up and avoid straight up buying TCs altogether, and they make all their money these days on other things, they ought to just let us change out appearance any time we like without charges at this point.

Edit: The flip side being if they really do still make a significant amount of money on it, well then, there's that. :3

If you have maxed out mounts, the fastest way to "farm" them is to create a character - explore the grove and rata sum, consume the charges and delete the character. Do this over and over again.

Once you get the path down this should get you easily 12+ Transmutation Charges in an hour.

If you do not care about it being a fast process, you can discover other cities or even complete other pve maps, which have about a 70% chance to give you a transmutation charge upon completion.

Agree with what several others said before:

* Make new character, map complete the 6 cities. About 2 hours work and gives you 6 charges free.

* Don't transmute every single piece of gear while leveling, just leave them until you have level 80 exotics at least.

* If you don't like PVP/WVW don't bother, you do get a lot from there, but just stick to other methods if you don't like the content.

* Worst case, just save up and change Gold into Gems, and buy them from the Gem-store that way.

Pact Commander (Mastery), and Mounts (any) will help a lot with map completing the 6 cities fast. You can also use the same character for a weekly black lion key for finishing the level 10 story. Then delete it and start a new one the next week.

> So I just got back to game and was immediately impressed with how much the game has improved while I wasn't playing. So much to do, and such a great community (like REALLY great people you meet in game.), but I've yet to figure out what gives Transmutation Charges...

>

> I noticed that map completion gives them, but apart from that? I've been doing events for days and not a single drop of them. When playing a level 80 it's not a problem but as you level up you get to a point where you can't keep your gear the way you designed your look.

>

> While I hope for some good replies about how to get them if events aren't giving them, I got a suggestion on how it could be updated to help leveling players a bit:

>

> * If we are using a skin for an item and we get another item of that kind, allow us to pay some in-game money to immediately skin the item, but also make it soulbound to that character to prevent abuse. This way we can keep our look and help the game with an extra money sink. At level 80 you could possibly even remove this feature, but don't really see an issue with having it.

>

> Transmutation Charges is really only the one thing I have an issue with, I'm very fond of making alts and this is really punishing for people like me :)

You can get lots of charges from wvw reward tracks. I have over 600 and I use them regularly.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > So I just got back to game and was immediately impressed with how much the game has improved while I wasn't playing. So much to do, and such a great community (like REALLY great people you meet in game.), but I've yet to figure out what gives Transmutation Charges...

> >

> > I noticed that map completion gives them, but apart from that? I've been doing events for days and not a single drop of them. When playing a level 80 it's not a problem but as you level up you get to a point where you can't keep your gear the way you designed your look.

> >

> > While I hope for some good replies about how to get them if events aren't giving them, I got a suggestion on how it could be updated to help leveling players a bit:

> >

> > * If we are using a skin for an item and we get another item of that kind, allow us to pay some in-game money to immediately skin the item, but also make it soulbound to that character to prevent abuse. This way we can keep our look and help the game with an extra money sink. At level 80 you could possibly even remove this feature, but don't really see an issue with having it.

> >

> > Transmutation Charges is really only the one thing I have an issue with, I'm very fond of making alts and this is really punishing for people like me :)

>

> TC's should be phased out completely. It's one of the most redundant and out-dated parts of the game, regardless of how easy or difficult it is for any player. Either find a better, more profitable system for skin changing or focus more on the mount skins and less on this old system.

I with they would phase them out also. However since (presumably) they make money off them and they are important rewards in all 3 game sections (PvE, sPvP & WvW) they’re unlikely to be removed. For myself, If they put an “infinite T charge” gizmo in the gemstore I’d buy it immediately.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > @"Wintermist.2935" said:

> > > > To be honest, I would pay a subscription fee simply to get free transmutations lol.

> > >

> > > Easily done. Buy $/€10 worth of gems each month, spend them on transmutation charges.

> > > 600 gems is 25 charges, will you spend more than that in a month? You'll also get a few from completed maps, and 3 from your login chest once per cycle.

> >

> > Oh you bet I would. Like, really, I would probably in a few days ;)

>

> If you expect to blow through 25 charges in a few days, then I doubt *any* in game aquisition method will keep up with you. Resign yourself to one of two options:

> * Blow *loads* of money on charges.

> * Restrict your transmuting in some way.

>

> I recommend the latter. "No transmuting until in exotic lvl 80 gear" is a good one.

This.

Let me break it down:

**PVE**

Nearly no transmutation charges are earned besides map completion. As others mentioned, you can map complete main cities on new characters and then rinse and repeat. You WILL burn out of the game. 20 minutes per transmutation charg adds up to a LOT of time dedicated to farming these.

**SPVP**

Probably the fastest way in actually acquiring T-charges via reward tracks. If you enjoy SPVP you can even combine this with getting some progress on achievements, the legendary spvp backpiece and loot. The acquired loot can then be sold for gold, which can be converted to gems, which in turn can be used to buy more T-charges if so desired. If not you WILL burn out on playing a game mode you do not enjoy.

**WVW**

Similar to SPVP in that reward tracks grant them and eventually you can build up quite a nice supply. Main drawback is the slower reward track progress compared to SPVP. Otherwise similar reasoning applies.

**GEMSTORE**

Either convert gold to gems (meaning you can farm gold or use part of your acquired gold) and buy T-charges or buy gems with money and use those. The fastest solution but obviously the most expensive money/gold wise.

There is a limit to how many transmutation charges one can use without running into problems varying by game mode. If you exceed this natural acquisition you will have to resort to farming which might negatively impact your game experience or you will have to spend money on more charges.

Either reduce your spending of transmutation charges or find a solution which works for you with the least amount of negative impact in the medium- and long run.

I found rata sum the fastest racial city to complete then remaking a char and redoing it. Everything is close together apart from a few points of interest and a couple of way points where you have to go through portals. I collected prob 30 odd shards and each run took roughly 6min at the end. I found playing as human speed up the run because you can bypass the first few fights and go for the earthen hand creature right away if you run around to the back of the castle.

> @"IIIxVxIII.2135" said:

> as others said spvp is the best way to get them. i have 450 of them that i dont know what to do with that i got with spvp. I use them pretty often. i probably used about 30 of them last week and im still gaining more than i can spend.

I'm not a huge fan of pvp in this game for the most part, but that gives me a reason to go in there more than I do now. It would be nice to change the appearance of my ascended gear when swapping between characters.

> Well, I want to actually play the PvE content so spending more time on this is out of the question then, I thought an hour would atleast net me some of them. How something so simple as this can give so much grief... :(

>

> It's not AS bad as SWTOR that required real money just to change your hair, but it's kitten close in my opinion.

>

> I really feel one should be able to transmute using normal in-game currency, atleast as you're leveling up and going through lots of upgrades. It's one of those issues that is even steering me away from wanting to play at all. It is what it is I suppose.

PVE option,

1.Farm Istan/SW, convert earned gold into gems, buy transmutation charges. (on level cap)

2.Complete city exploration.

I wish I could sell/trade transmutation charges. I've got over 600 of them and I continue to earn them way faster than I use them. If you do any map completions, odds are high you'll get one, and guaranteed if you do city map completions. Doing PvP/WvW reward tracks via simple dailies will also have you swimming in them in no time, even if you aren't an actual PvP or WvW player.