Support won't talk to me about my account anymore

Hello,

I asked a friend to post this, since for the moment being I am not able to access my account.

What happened? I tried to log into Guild Wars 1 (It's linked with my GW2 Account) because some old guildies hit me up and the updates just to find out I am not able to log in nor reset my password. Beware the dedicated freemail yahoo account is nearly 2 decades old at this point.

Next obvious thing to do: Gather all the details I have. Naivly I thought I was being on the safe side just by providing the serial codes (I only possess my GW1 Serial codes in physical form because I bought GW2 via the official Anet online store), my former address, personal infos and a few character names.

Opened on the 23.05.2018 by me via the german support page I provided everything as I had in Ticket #6914469. Including original serial codes in text form and doubled up by immediatly providing real pictures of them since Gaile somewhere wrote we can't attach anything to the initial Ticket.

On the 30.05.2018 I got an answer telling me it's not allowed to sell or share your account. Which is impossible since the close to 10.000 hours of memories are have a speical place for me, even when I didn't log into GW1 9 Years now I kept my serial cards in a special place to keep them forever. GW2 just wasn't for me so I left it soon after release and went into gaming hiatus until today or 23.05.2018 if you'd like to see it like that.

The same day I answered (30.05.2018) to ask for clarification only to be told the email I provided was wrong and it ends on "@web.de" and I can't be the owner and every question I would ask would close the ticket from now on.

The german I am and the knowing the cultural habits of germans I thought the germans just might have a bad day, so I asked again on the 21.06.2018 the english support via Ticket #6966082 this time even more prepared. I called family and asked about all deailed addresses I lived during the years, I also had setup my former computer in search of Screenshots or Payment Receipts of GW2 only to find something disturbing.

Since my yahoo free mail address was guild wars dedicated and most of the unread messages where the occasional yahoo spam I've actuall had a few Anet related Emails in my Inbox. On 06.11.2014 someone asked for a Email Change in #6966082 which definetly wasn't me.

So I provided the original Emails of the mail change I didn't knew of in 2014, even more Serial Codes, paypal email addresses which I paid gw2 with, my post adress history, a picture of my ID, character names etc. to the english support team only to get an answer (03.07.2018) by the german support team on my old ticket #6914469 that my account is not up for discussion anymore. Since I knew the german support team wouldn't talk with me I kinda shrugged it off and added further information to my english Ticket #6966082 only to see a new Ticket Number popping up in the response #6986248 which tells me the german support closed my english ticket as well.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" please could you at least explain to me why? I've been told and thought for years no matter what happens to my email address or password I'd be able to receive Support since its so obvious I am the only owner and purchaser of every single Guild Wars serial code embedded in it.

Best regards

Deni

None of us on the forums will be able to address any specifics since we can't verify any of the details. Here's some stuff to keep in mind:

* Other people have posted publicly with similar circumstances, only for it to turn out they were't accurately describing the facts of the case. That makes it hard for the non-ANet employee to trust at face-value what's posted in any such thread.

* ANet does always try to help people regain accounts (and they bend over backwards to do so), but they have to draw the line somewhere to prevent hackers from stealing accounts, to prevent outright fraud, and to avoid getting caught up in any he said/she said situations, in which it's impossible to figure out what really happened.

* Specifically, if multiple people claim ownership of an account, it can be tricky. Many Yahoo accounts were compromised some time ago; perhaps yours was. Perhaps a hacker got ahold of the serial number of other verifying data and has claimed ownership.

* Another scenario is if a friend 'borrowed' the account while you were otherwise occupied. They, too, would have access to verifying data and might be claiming ownership.

Or in short: you might be sure that you're the sole owner, but (as suggested by the response from Support), ANet can't be sure. They have seen something that makes them question what has been reported in the ticket(s).

If there are any mitigating or awkward circumstances that you haven't shared, this might a good time to come clean. (That might or might not help, but at this point, it's hard to see how it could make things worse.)

Again, I don't know your circumstances. I do know that ANet does try to help everyone and they must still draw a line that to limit account theft, even as it locks out a tiny number of otherwise legit claims.

Good luck and please let us know if things change.

>I tried to log into Guild Wars 1 (It's linked with my GW2 Account)

Is your (old) GW1 account registered to a different email address then your GW2 account?

I'm asking because linking accounts actually changes your GW1 account name / email adress (and password!) to whatever you are using for GW2, since after linking you have essentially one GW account. At least for me that was not very obvious and when I tried to get back into my GW1 account at one point I stumbled upon this. Maybe CS didn't think about this since you directly asked to recover an account with your old email address.

TL/DR: just try to use your GW2 login credentials for GW1 (you'll still need a GW1 character name I think) and that should actually work if the accounts are properly linked.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> If there are any mitigating or awkward circumstances that you haven't shared, this might a good time to come clean. (That might or might not help, but at this point, it's hard to see how it could make things worse.)

I told everything truthfully and to my best knowledge. I mean, if they can Identify the account and see my name and information in it Support could already help me by letting me delete it based GDPR so I could at least use my old character names on a new account. I'd happily buy this game again, but I'd love to have my names back.

> @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> TL/DR: just try to use your GW2 login credentials for GW1 (you'll still need a GW1 character name I think) and that should actually work if the accounts are properly linked.

I tried that but they where properly linked so that the adress change affected the Guild Wars 2 Account too :/

> @"evosociety.7042" said:

> > @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> > TL/DR: just try to use your GW2 login credentials for GW1 (you'll still need a GW1 character name I think) and that should actually work if the accounts are properly linked.

>

> I tried that but they where properly linked so that the adress change affected the Guild Wars 2 Account too :/

"I only possess my GW1 Serial codes in physical form because I bought GW2 via the official Anet online store"

Ask Anet how anyone other than the original owner would have serial codes for both GW1 and GW2 accounts that were linked, especially when the GW1 codes were never sent in email to the comprised email account.

Just an FYI: Even purchasing through the official ArenaNet store, one is sent the Serial Keys, and must apply said Serial Keys in the 'My Account' site page. 'My Account' might not have been up at launch, but the Serial Keys were still sent to the email one registered the Game Account with.

I have mine, and the email they arrived in.

If an account, and its accompanying email account has been compromised, and the usurper has gained access to information regarding said account, it is almost impossible for the CS Team to figure out who is the actual account owner. Thus, they will close the account to both (or multiple) parties trying to gain access. It's their policy. Kinda sux, but what else can they really do?

> @"Shailyn Slay.7234" said:

> Ask Anet how anyone other than the original owner would have serial codes for both GW1 and GW2 accounts that were linked, especially when the GW1 codes were never sent in email to the comprised email account.

If they'd let me ask further questions.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> If an account, and its accompanying email account has been compromised, and the usurper has gained access to information regarding said account, it is almost impossible for the CS Team to figure out who is the actual account owner. Thus, they will close the account to both (or multiple) parties trying to gain access. It's their policy. Kinda sux, but what else can they really do?

To be honest at this point this will do.

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > Support isn't going to respond to you here.

>

>

> I know but I am still not doing that for me but on the behalf of my friend.

> He asked me to do it since Its the last straw he has before going legal to get at least his private details deleted.

The only thing he can do is update his ticket, ask if it can be sent to someone higher up, and then wait. And he should also avoid making any new tickets.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> The only thing he can do is update his ticket, ask if it can be sent to someone higher up, and then wait. And he should also avoid making any new tickets.

But how do you proceed when the system seems to auto close tickets mentioning his account or any former ticket reference?

And that's the reason of this thread, because we don't know. I mean his account isn't even banned, it's just compromised.

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > The only thing he can do is update his ticket, ask if it can be sent to someone higher up, and then wait. And he should also avoid making any new tickets.

>

> But how do you proceed when the system seems to auto close tickets mentioning his account or any former ticket reference?

> And that's the reason of this thread, because we don't know. I mean his account isn't even banned, it's just compromised.

>

Like I said, don't make new tickets; making multiple tickets on the same issue will result in the new ones getting closed (and also slow down further response times on your original ticket). He should update his original ticket, politely explain that he thinks a misunderstanding has happened, and ask for it to be looked into by someone higher up.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> He should update his original ticket, politely explain that he thinks a misunderstanding has happened, and ask for it to be looked into by someone higher up.

I think that won't work. Somehow, no matter what we do, his tickets are treated by german support even when he and I wrote them in english together. Germany doesn't have the culture of looking into it by someone higher up. That would only work with the english support I guess, but german support closes those english tickets immediatly which we can prove.

Two Scenarios:

1. Leaving out Account Information? Ticket is being treated well and conversation follows normal ways.

2. Mentioning something related to that account or prior tickets? No Answer and new Ticket Number on Respond, which indicates the old one got closed immediatly.

To make it even more ridiculous. He is not even german nor does he speak german. He just lives here. Which is something Arenanet should be aware of IMHO by the provided scans of his ID.

Those little details make it so fishy and led us to the conclusion something isn't right.

To be Honest we think someone used the account to hack/bot/scam whatever and especially this account became a sensitive topic. But if that's the case just let us know and delete it on behalf of GDPR so he can finally start over. @"Gaile Gray.6029"

Something is not right.

_Hello,_

_I asked a friend to post this, since for the moment being I am not able to access my account._

_What happened? I tried to log into Guild Wars 1..._

_The german I am and the knowing the cultural habits of germans I thought the germans just might have a bad day..._

"He is not even german nor does he speak german."

If the story to the CS Team changes as in this thread, no wonder the tickets are closed without further response.