The elite should't stronger than core

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> Those illusions other games use to trick players into believing they're making any sort of progression, only to have their "progress" reset with every new expansion without them realizing it because their numbers are bigger; otherwise known as the "grind treadmill"? Those things we came to GW2 to get AWAY from? Yes. Like that.

Releasing new specs with expansions is hardly the same thing as a gear treadmill. If you think they’re remotely similar I’d suggest you haven’t experienced a true gear treadmill.

> @"Perses.9683" said:

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > Those illusions other games use to trick players into believing they're making any sort of progression, only to have their "progress" reset with every new expansion without them realizing it because their numbers are bigger; otherwise known as the "grind treadmill"? Those things we came to GW2 to get AWAY from? Yes. Like that.

>

> Releasing new specs with expansions is hardly the same thing as a gear treadmill. If you think they’re remotely similar I’d suggest you haven’t experienced a true gear treadmill.

I've played several Korean-style MMOs, as well as World of Warcraft. But you are right, I didn't experience a "true" gear treadmill. I abandoned-ship as soon as I caught scent of that garbage.

But I'm listening now, since you seem intent on provoking me. Don't just say "nuh-uh", explain how they're different. Convince me that raising the bar with demonstrably more powerful abilities that can only be unlocked via paid expansion content is not the same as raising the bar with demonstrably higher numbers that can only be unlocked via paid expansion... and that that is somehow a good thing.

I'd rather they just boost the core builds, but I agree it sucks they can't compete. Instead of elite specs offering players more options, they actually narrow them and leave us with little choice about what spec to play (except just as a lark). I may as well use this opportunity to add that to me, the spellbreaker just turns a warrior into what should be a thief spec. As I get elite specs unlocked I find all my toons equipping daggers and shortbows, and ditching the cosmetically pleasing old weapons that don't fit the spec as well.

> @"Haishao.6851" said:

> > @"Edge.4180" said:

> > > @"Perses.9683" said:

> > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > I can't believe people are actually advocating in favor of selling power in video games.

> > >

> > > Like Any other mmo that releases expansions and your character gets more powerful?

> > And those MMOs are available if that's someone's thing. This MMO is not those.

> >

> > Since launch the developers have stated that was something they never intend to do with this game. It's always been about adding more options without making prior end-game investments obsolete.

> >

> >

> What investment became obsolete because of specialization?

If elite specs are superior to non-elite specs, then what's the point of playing the non-elite specs in terms of balance? To keep in line with the philosophy behind GW2, elite specs are better off being an alternative way to play/roles that are not significantly worse or better than non-elite specs.

> @"ZeteCommander.4937" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > I think elite should be weaker like racials just offer afun idea to play for this one trait line shouldnt be stronger than 2 core

>

> The elite should be distinctive, but should not exceed core from all aspects. The elite should be a choice.

100% agree. Not only that Anet completely failed to do this, they are also canbalizing core classes then power creep them.

Gurdian as an example, pre expansion power/condi and support builds were possible with core. HoT comes around and anet power creep the hell out of power builds and then condi and support were left dead. Then PoF came along and did the same for condi and support. And core guardian is probably the strongest core class.

Another example, necro. Reaper was power creep on every way over core necro. Then right before PoF comes out anet nerfed the hell out of reaper condi capacity to make scourge the only playable necro condi build.

Elites were supposed to make classes function a bit differently, by adding mobility or different flavor to the class. They are ended up being straight out power creep. Not only that, several of HoT elites were nerfed in way or another to ensure that only PoF elites can fulfill that role.

It is a fucking mess.