Festival of the Four Winds

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> For those casuals like myself that play on and off, what is this?

Festivals! The Labyrinthine Cliffs are mostly a small village/city with some rural/wild lands around it, very vertical. It was the home city of the Zephyrites. It had some events based around the Zephyrite aspects you can also use in Dry Top. I thought it was really cool. The Queen's Gauntlet/The Crown Pavilion were events in Divinity's Reach where you had to fight in some sort of arena. The last boss fight is probably the most difficult solo content that AranaNet ever made. Also cool.

Also, these events in the past had a lot of lore, played an important part in the ongoing story. It gives ArenaNet a chance to set the direction for the rest of Season 4. I hope they will use it for that :)

See https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Festival_of_the_Four_Winds for a lot more information.

Consider it a festival split into two locations.

In Divinity's Reach, there will be two forms of combat. The main floor of the Queen's Pavilion will be sectioned into a few areas, each with a type of enemy in it. This is for group combat, and yes there are bosses. Above this in smaller combat areas linked by walkways, you'll have one on one combat against special bosses. You have to defeat each, within a time limit, to get the right to advance on to the next. These boss fights require tickets too, but I don't recall how you get them.

The second part is in a special map referred to as the Labyrinthine Cliffs, and you get there by boat. This is where the Zepherites used to dock their flying ships to do trade (back before the events in Drytop happened). The zone is largely vertical, and you need to use special movement skills you get from special crystals to make your way up the platforms to the top. There are also hunts for special crystals, making the whole area a special jumping puzzle/Easter egg hunt of sorts. A few minor bosses can be triggered every now and then. And finally, special vendors to take any excess materials you care to hand over in bulk in exchange for items. It appears that mounts will work here now as well, so who knows how much the area has changed? But if you hate jumping puzzles, start kissing up to your favorite mesmer now. Also, this is THE place to mine quartz crystals, if you need them.

There are special skins associated with the double festival, most notably the Sovereign weapon set. I don't recall what it takes to get them, but it may have changed by now anyway.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Festival_of_the_Four_Winds_2014

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Woo hoo! Excellent news! I wonder if mounts will work in the Cliffs.

At least the griffon will, according to the [official announcement](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/festival-of-the-four-winds-begins-next-week/ "official announcement"). :)

> @"Devildoc.6721" said:

> Now I feel slightly less dumb having held onto my fortune of the festival for all these years.

Ooooh, I hope I didn't delete my Queen's Gauntlet tickets! :o

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > Woo hoo! Excellent news! I wonder if mounts will work in the Cliffs.

>

> At least the griffon will, according to the [official announcement](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/festival-of-the-four-winds-begins-next-week/ "official announcement"). :)

>

> > @"Devildoc.6721" said:

> > Now I feel slightly less dumb having held onto my fortune of the festival for all these years.

>

> Ooooh, I hope I didn't delete my Queen's Gauntlet tickets! :o

Oooh, good point!

Just checked... I have 317 of them! Hope they still work! :lol:

I also hope that they still use the Fortune Scraps and Festival Tokens from the last time around. Have loads of those too.

I wonder if queuing up for bosses is the same. I liked being able to spectate on each player while you waited yourt urn, but it got a bit frustrating when you nearly beat a boss and your momentum is stalled by waiting in a queue for a go-around

Have they stated how long the festival will run?

1. I like it. Loved the Labyrinthine cliffs before and I am sure I will again.

2. Crownpavillion was cool, so I guess its alright. Its stuff to do that isn't always there so as such it is a plus.

3. I kinda hate that again again again Divinity Reach gets festival love... Really really really want some love for the other racial cities... Im starting to get salty about it, even though I know its silly.

> @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> 1. I like it. Loved the Labyrinthine cliffs before and I am sure I will again.

> 2. Crownpavillion was cool, so I guess its alright. Its stuff to do that isn't always there so as such it is a plus.

> 3. I kinda hate that again again again Divinity Reach gets festival love... Really really really want some love for the other racial cities... Im starting to get salty about it, even though I know its silly.

I understand, I think the lore is the reason. DR is the Queens City, I doubt any full festival would be added to the other areas, because they would need a place to have it. Only Hoelbrak has enough open area. Then you would need a reason, the Lore to back up such a grand occasion. But, that said, they could have the leaders from each area come to DR.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> Wow they better have a roller beetle race waiting for me at the top.

There wouldn't be much room at the top if it used the exact same map as last time, though they could expand it. There's a lot of space to work with in that area.

I seem to remember the shoreline being very shallow, maybe there could be races at the bottom, or even a modified version of the sanctum sprint course.

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Finally the Zephyrites has re-builded their sanctuary! :D

>

The Bazaar is not their sanctuary, though. The Zephyr Sanctum was an enormous airship that was destroyed by Aerin above the Maguuma Wastes (Dry Top). The Bazaar is just a place they docked at a year before the Sanctum got destroyed. They have probably rebuilt their fleet and are now returning to the Labyrinthine Cliffs.

Be that as it may, I am also excited to see it return. They've updated it as well, so it's not a copy/paste from the 2014 patch. I do hope some lore is incorporated into the release. Maybe even a new song, this time for Vlast (if they even knew about him in the first place)?

"The summer sun shone bright once more, warmed wood and cloth of home.

We honored those who came before, and journeyed where they roamed.

Alas, alas, we've no more peace, no ally from on high.

We'll make our way to brighter day and into clearer skies.

No more to tame the wind and rain, the skies to swallow whole.

She flies no more in glinting beam and leaves a hollow hole.

Alas, her magic strewn in sand. Alas, her soul undone.

The clouds shed tears upon the land for the loss of our crystal sun.

Alas, alas, how time must pass. Ancient, magical friend.

So terrible, so dreadful that so treasured should so end.

Alas, alas, alas, alas...

Alas, and so we go...

We fly on high into the sky...

And cry, "Alas, alas, alas..."

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > Finally the Zephyrites has re-builded their sanctuary! :D

> >

>

> The Bazaar is not their sanctuary, though. The Zephyr Sanctum was an enormous airship that was destroyed by Aerin above the Maguuma Wastes (Dry Top). The Bazaar is just a place they docked at a year before the Sanctum got destroyed. They have probably rebuilt their fleet and are now returning to the Labyrinthine Cliffs.

>

> Be that as it may, I am also excited to see it return. They've updated it as well, so it's not a copy/paste from the 2014 patch. I do hope some lore is incorporated into the release. Maybe even a new song, this time for Vlast (if they even knew about him in the first place)?

>

> "The summer sun shone bright once more, warmed wood and cloth of home.

> We honored those who came before, and journeyed where they roamed.

> Alas, alas, we've no more peace, no ally from on high.

> We'll make our way to brighter day and into clearer skies.

> No more to tame the wind and rain, the skies to swallow whole.

> She flies no more in glinting beam and leaves a hollow hole.

> Alas, her magic strewn in sand. Alas, her soul undone.

> The clouds shed tears upon the land for the loss of our crystal sun.

> Alas, alas, how time must pass. Ancient, magical friend.

> So terrible, so dreadful that so treasured should so end.

> Alas, alas, alas, alas...

> Alas, and so we go...

> We fly on high into the sky...

> And cry, "Alas, alas, alas..."

>

>

If you scroll up, someone provided a link which talks about all the new lore and reworks

This excites me about as much as I was enjoying watching the paint on my walls dry. If I had used something psychedelic like Neon Green and would have mixed it with Canary Yellow, I would have probably been even a little bit more interested in the colors. That whole festival was literally an uphill battle, alone the thought about some updated lore gives me some hope...

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > Can we keep the map this time? Please ANet!!

>

> Since it's a festival, it'll probably only be available once a year during said festival.

I know that the festival will be limited and that it prob won't happen. But i can still hope that we keep the map. It's probably nostalgia talking but I have fond memories of the releases back in LS1 and it's always sad to see fully modeled maps be removed from the game. Maybe chances are a bit higher that we can keep it, now that PoF has almost closed the gap to that region of world.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > Woo hoo! Excellent news! I wonder if mounts will work in the Cliffs.

> >

> > At least the griffon will, according to the [official announcement](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/festival-of-the-four-winds-begins-next-week/ "official announcement"). :)

> >

> > > @"Devildoc.6721" said:

> > > Now I feel slightly less dumb having held onto my fortune of the festival for all these years.

> >

> > Ooooh, I hope I didn't delete my Queen's Gauntlet tickets! :o

>

> Oooh, good point!

>

> Just checked... I have 317 of them! Hope they still work! :lol:

>

> I also hope that they still use the Fortune Scraps and Festival Tokens from the last time around. Have loads of those too.

They've had vendors for those for a long time now.