Can Gravedigger die already?

I do wish the highest dps on targets below 50% was more diverse than the one skill. It would be great if Reaper could chain a few of its skills for top dps. I like the whirl finisher aspect, the power-cleave, and the damage but the health threshold for instant recharge gets tedious.

Edit

Maybe if the second whirl became a blast finisher and third became a projectile finisher if the player does not move - Something like having Gravedigger gain up to 3 charges that changes the animation and makes the skill more damaging, provided the opponent does not force the chain to be interrupted. The auto attacks for greatsword, scepter, and dagger come to mind.

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

>

> It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

**@topic:**

I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

They reduced the cast time of Worldly Impact for SoulBeasts. We all know how hard that can hit and its basically an attack that can be used from stealth, used with on demand quickness, and its damage is relatively on par with Gravedigger.

The problem holding Gravedigger back from be reworked, buffed, or at all changed is the <50% HP CD Refund on top of the fact that out PvE damage would suffer.

So even if we got the Cooldown Refund removed, and the cast time improved. Power would still need to be redistributed amongst other necro skills to make up for the now lacking rotation of "spam gravedigger"

Which ultimately ends up with more working needing to be done.

Gravedigger, as much as we all hate it, is like a quasi-cornerstone of GS. If it gets changed. A lot will need to be changed with it for PvE.

Not to mention PvP. If they take the one thing were GREAT at away (Downcleave) then what will we have left to differentiate us

EDIT: They can always go the easy route, give us some aftercast/precast buff on it. Reduce down the cast time or separate it into 2 hits over 1.25sec. But that kind of "Buff" could actually be meta changing for Reaper. Making that potential for damage reliable is big. But if that is going to be done they [Anet] have to basically decide whether Reaper is deserving/acceptable with that kind of buff. Im all for it, but next thing you know Reaper becomes flavor of the month and what was the offical forums united hate against Scourge will turn into the united hate against Reapers.

> @"Wizardauz.3761" said:

> They reduced the cast time of Worldly Impact for SoulBeasts. We all know how hard that can hit and its basically an attack that can be used from stealth, used with on demand quickness, and its damage is relatively on par with Gravedigger.

>

> The problem holding Gravedigger back from be reworked, buffed, or at all changed is the <50% HP CD Refund on top of the fact that out PvE damage would suffer.

>

> So even if we got the Cooldown Refund removed, and the cast time improved. Power would still need to be redistributed amongst other necro skills to make up for the now lacking rotation of "spam gravedigger"

>

> Which ultimately ends up with more working needing to be done.

>

> Gravedigger, as much as we all hate it, is like a quasi-cornerstone of GS. If it gets changed. A lot will need to be changed with it for PvE.

>

> Not to mention PvP. If they take the one thing were GREAT at away (Downcleave) then what will we have left to differentiate us

>

> EDIT: They can always go the easy route, give us some aftercast/precast buff on it. Reduce down the cast time or separate it into 2 hits over 1.25sec. But that kind of "Buff" could actually be meta changing for Reaper. Making that potential for damage reliable is big. But if that is going to be done they [Anet] have to basically decide whether Reaper is deserving/acceptable with that kind of buff. Im all for it, but next thing you know Reaper becomes flavor of the month and what was the offical forums united hate against Scourge will turn into the united hate against Reapers.

The easiest way to solve that issue would be to give a damage buff to necro for the duration of grave diggers cooldown that effect your out going damage period which means other skill wouldnt have to change at all. You would keep your damage while being allowed to perform different rotations so long as you work grave digger in every time its off cd and dont miss you keep your damage high.

> @"ZDragon.3046" said:

> > @"Wizardauz.3761" said:

> > They reduced the cast time of Worldly Impact for SoulBeasts. We all know how hard that can hit and its basically an attack that can be used from stealth, used with on demand quickness, and its damage is relatively on par with Gravedigger.

> >

> > The problem holding Gravedigger back from be reworked, buffed, or at all changed is the <50% HP CD Refund on top of the fact that out PvE damage would suffer.

> >

> > So even if we got the Cooldown Refund removed, and the cast time improved. Power would still need to be redistributed amongst other necro skills to make up for the now lacking rotation of "spam gravedigger"

> >

> > Which ultimately ends up with more working needing to be done.

> >

> > Gravedigger, as much as we all hate it, is like a quasi-cornerstone of GS. If it gets changed. A lot will need to be changed with it for PvE.

> >

> > Not to mention PvP. If they take the one thing were GREAT at away (Downcleave) then what will we have left to differentiate us

> >

> > EDIT: They can always go the easy route, give us some aftercast/precast buff on it. Reduce down the cast time or separate it into 2 hits over 1.25sec. But that kind of "Buff" could actually be meta changing for Reaper. Making that potential for damage reliable is big. But if that is going to be done they [Anet] have to basically decide whether Reaper is deserving/acceptable with that kind of buff. Im all for it, but next thing you know Reaper becomes flavor of the month and what was the offical forums united hate against Scourge will turn into the united hate against Reapers.

>

> The easiest way to solve that issue would be to give a damage buff to necro for the duration of grave diggers cooldown that effect your out going damage period which means other skill wouldnt have to change at all. You would keep your damage while being allowed to perform different rotations so long as you work grave digger in every time its off cd and dont miss you keep your damage high.

So similar to a "Maul" Mechanic? but persistant

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

> >

> > It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

> No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

>

> **@topic:**

> I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

>

Nope. I tried it yesterday. The enemy (pve mob) stood behind me and i didn't hit it

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > > > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

> > >

> > > It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

> > No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

> >

> > **@topic:**

> > I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

> >

>

> Nope. I tried it yesterday. The enemy (pve mob) stood behind me and i didn't hit it

Okay tried again, and it hits from 170 range from behind. Not sure what you were doing wrong.

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > > > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

> > >

> > > It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

> > No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

> >

> > **@topic:**

> > I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

> >

>

> Nope. I tried it yesterday. The enemy (pve mob) stood behind me and i didn't hit it

Try harder!

Seriously, it works.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > > > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > > > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > > > > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

> > > >

> > > > It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

> > > No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

> > >

> > > **@topic:**

> > > I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

> > >

> >

> > Nope. I tried it yesterday. The enemy (pve mob) stood behind me and i didn't hit it

>

> Okay tried again, and it hits from 170 range from behind. Not sure what you were doing wrong.

It's a smallish range so it can fail if you go too far.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> > > > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > > > > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > > > > > It's a boring skill for PvE, but far from poor design. Maximum damage output (outside reaper shroud) that hits in a circle and is spammable is very useful, just boring.

> > > > > > In pvp situations the gravedigger's purpose is clear - cleave the downed and would-be ressurectors, since normal stomp takes time and does nothing vs anyone else then the downed target.

> > > > >

> > > > > It doesn't hit in a circle. Only 180° in front of you

> > > > No, it does hit in a circle. You can walk through your target while casting and still hitting it. I am doing this pretty often.

> > > >

> > > > **@topic:**

> > > > I like the chain idea. Instead of a cooldown reset a follow up skill when a target is struck below 50% health sounds great. The follow up skill should have the same cast time but should be even more devastating to compensate for the cooldown. A bit of number tweaking for PvE and we should end up at high dps for PvE while not breaking PvP.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nope. I tried it yesterday. The enemy (pve mob) stood behind me and i didn't hit it

> >

> > Okay tried again, and it hits from 170 range from behind. Not sure what you were doing wrong.

>

> It's a smallish range so it can fail if you go too far.

I stood almost inside of the mob. I tried it in wvw

. Does that matter? Gonna test it again

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Reaper elite unlocked, and I have to agree, but at the same time, I'm kind of used to it as I also play a Daredevil - Staff, where Staff 1 is pretty much my rotation waiting for initiative to use Staff 2, and in between bouncing around like Tigger (not a complaint though, as I love it)