Regarding Adding New Races

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> Now, the presumed idea here is that Anet isn't creating new races largely due to difficulties in integrating them into the story, but, here's an idea -

>

> How about they just don't?

>

> New races could be unlocked at level 80 or through an achievement of some kind, and could part of a new system of "supporting races", where they are intended to be played as races that are allied with the "main races" but don't have quite the same presence in the story. Therefore, they could maybe have a simple personal story, but would never become the commander and play through the LW. They could access LW zones through alternate means, or whenever a main race unlocks them on your account. This might be a good option as well for people who just aren't that interested in the story.

>

> This game is so alt friendly anyway - by having them be unlocked as a special level cap feature, you are ensuring everyone has the ability to play through the full story on at least one of their toons. I've only played the story at all on a couple out of my 10 characters.

>

> This new "system" would allow them to add a lot of new races with relative ease, and we could eventually have a large number of supporting races available for play. Wouldn't that be better than never getting new races at all?

>

>

Go back to WoW lol

Forcing player to play "grind" old content to get new races is a joke that's my main reason stop playing Wow.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see new playable races. The only part of the story I care about is the low level cultural portion, decided by those options from character creation. I have no answers to the story otherwise.

I would not really mind if the new races were otherwise free of story. Wouldn't it be great if gating portions of the game behind the story wasn't a thing...

I wouldn't gate the new races behind anything, like level, story or expansion or anything else. I have seen elsewhere, in LOTRO, them being cash store unlock available outside of the expansion they are included in. If cash shop would have to be the case I'd pay 800 gems for a race... well, I'd wait for a discount, but I think the cost should be 800 and NOT 1000, NOT 2000. 400 would be better...

We sure do a lot of debating about what this company can and cannot do. We should stick to telling them we still want a new playable race and hope they oblige us. Unless they start video conferencing us in for their daily working activities I don't see us being able to make accurate statements about their resources or decision making process.

Hey Anet, I still want a new playable race :)

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> Even WoW was able to add Pandaren to both factions. Adding a new race here, especially when the races people want are already in the game, should not be hard.

They have a problem with their engine, and it's been known for a while now. It's why we don't even get that many new armor sets. Much less integrating every existing set onto a new race. If we ever want new races, it'd first require a complete overhaul which might be unreasonable or the production of GW3. Time will tell.

> @"Shrez.9506" said:

> > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > Now, the presumed idea here is that Anet isn't creating new races largely due to difficulties in integrating them into the story, but, here's an idea -

> >

> > How about they just don't?

> >

> > New races could be unlocked at level 80 or through an achievement of some kind, and could part of a new system of "supporting races", where they are intended to be played as races that are allied with the "main races" but don't have quite the same presence in the story. Therefore, they could maybe have a simple personal story, but would never become the commander and play through the LW. They could access LW zones through alternate means, or whenever a main race unlocks them on your account. This might be a good option as well for people who just aren't that interested in the story.

> >

> > This game is so alt friendly anyway - by having them be unlocked as a special level cap feature, you are ensuring everyone has the ability to play through the full story on at least one of their toons. I've only played the story at all on a couple out of my 10 characters.

> >

> > This new "system" would allow them to add a lot of new races with relative ease, and we could eventually have a large number of supporting races available for play. Wouldn't that be better than never getting new races at all?

> >

> >

>

> Go back to WoW lol

> Forcing player to play "grind" old content to get new races is a joke that's my main reason stop playing Wow.

>

Well, WoW DOES release new races often. Recently more than ever too.

Which seems to somehow be in the realm of impossibility for Anet.

Allowing players to make new races as part of the central GW2 experience sounds like a massive undertaking, especially if it turns out that only a minority of the playerbase are really interested.

Maybe to gauge how popular a new race would be, Anet can do some sort of side story, like a short questline where we play as someone that is not the Commander, eg GW1 where you play as Kieran Thackeray.

This serves as some indication of how well-spent their efforts will be, before they decide to do something major.

> @"Magek.4718" said:

> > @"Shrez.9506" said:

> > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > Now, the presumed idea here is that Anet isn't creating new races largely due to difficulties in integrating them into the story, but, here's an idea -

> > >

> > > How about they just don't?

> > >

> > > New races could be unlocked at level 80 or through an achievement of some kind, and could part of a new system of "supporting races", where they are intended to be played as races that are allied with the "main races" but don't have quite the same presence in the story. Therefore, they could maybe have a simple personal story, but would never become the commander and play through the LW. They could access LW zones through alternate means, or whenever a main race unlocks them on your account. This might be a good option as well for people who just aren't that interested in the story.

> > >

> > > This game is so alt friendly anyway - by having them be unlocked as a special level cap feature, you are ensuring everyone has the ability to play through the full story on at least one of their toons. I've only played the story at all on a couple out of my 10 characters.

> > >

> > > This new "system" would allow them to add a lot of new races with relative ease, and we could eventually have a large number of supporting races available for play. Wouldn't that be better than never getting new races at all?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Go back to WoW lol

> > Forcing player to play "grind" old content to get new races is a joke that's my main reason stop playing Wow.

> >

>

> Well, WoW DOES release new races often. Recently more than ever too.

>

> Which seems to somehow be in the realm of impossibility for Anet.

BS!

The new WoW races are recycled one from NPC's

> @"Shrez.9506" said:

> > @"Magek.4718" said:

> > > @"Shrez.9506" said:

> > > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > Now, the presumed idea here is that Anet isn't creating new races largely due to difficulties in integrating them into the story, but, here's an idea -

> > > >

> > > > How about they just don't?

> > > >

> > > > New races could be unlocked at level 80 or through an achievement of some kind, and could part of a new system of "supporting races", where they are intended to be played as races that are allied with the "main races" but don't have quite the same presence in the story. Therefore, they could maybe have a simple personal story, but would never become the commander and play through the LW. They could access LW zones through alternate means, or whenever a main race unlocks them on your account. This might be a good option as well for people who just aren't that interested in the story.

> > > >

> > > > This game is so alt friendly anyway - by having them be unlocked as a special level cap feature, you are ensuring everyone has the ability to play through the full story on at least one of their toons. I've only played the story at all on a couple out of my 10 characters.

> > > >

> > > > This new "system" would allow them to add a lot of new races with relative ease, and we could eventually have a large number of supporting races available for play. Wouldn't that be better than never getting new races at all?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Go back to WoW lol

> > > Forcing player to play "grind" old content to get new races is a joke that's my main reason stop playing Wow.

> > >

> >

> > Well, WoW DOES release new races often. Recently more than ever too.

> >

> > Which seems to somehow be in the realm of impossibility for Anet.

>

> BS!

> The new WoW races are recycled one from NPC's

Sure, the new Allied Races are re-skins but they've been adding new races long before that. Two new races evey other expansion.

New expansion is launched, set ..somewhere.

players have the option of completing a chain of adventures featuring both open world challenges, personal instanced and dungeons.

As they complete the chain of adventures, they learn about a new race/races, featured in the expansion.

Upon completion of the chain of adventures, players can choose to free/rescue a member of the new race/s.

The new race starts at 80. It's back story has bee established during the chain of adventures. It is not 'The Commander' but for story purposes, can act as his right hand/proxy.

To play devil's advocate with myself a bit, I'm actually more interested in new weapons than I am in new races, and I think it's pretty lame that we haven't already gotten several. It's also something that's more easily doable than new races. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the potential of adding new races.

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> To play devil's advocate with myself a bit, I'm actually more interested in new weapons than I am in new races, and I think it's pretty lame that we haven't already gotten several. It's also something that's more easily doable than new races. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the potential of adding new races.

AS much as I'd like a new race (Let's be honest, I just want Quaggan.), I'd actually also like to see Knuckles added as a 1h weapon. Just... let me punch something, give us an unarmed fighting style.

Let me swing around my sword without requiring me to hold something else in my off-hand to have a full skill bar.