Best Swordsman

Mhina.1827

Ranger hands down. Someone said nimble and it's true, but what sets it above Warrior is that all of its Great Sword skills are usable on the run. You'd have figured the master of arms class(Warrior) wouldn't be so crippled in this regard but there's nothing so tragic-comic as seeing a Warrior plant for Hundred Blades and then watching as someone or something simply walks out of it. It's reminiscent of Peter Sellers, as Inspector Jacques Clouseau, doing karate chops at empty air.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with kako in the guardian being the most like a knight with a sword. a warrior feels more detached from swords than guard, typically seen wielding many differing weapons like axes and hammers and spears. other classes feel like they are more more magical or maniacal, like thief and engi.

> @"Yannir.4132" said:

> > @"Lily.1935" said:

> On the topic, a big factor to consider was the classes that can wield 2 swords simultaneously, because if you've ever tried dualwielding you know it's bloody hard. So it came down to warrior, mesmer or revenant. I just think Revenant has the coolest sword skills, hence why I chose it.

The dualwielding we see in this respect is all fairly 'practical' dualwielding, however: we don't see anyone trying to strike with both swords simultaneously. Most offhand sword skills are blocks (iRiposte, actual Riposte), reflecting standard practice of using one weapon for defence, being used essentially as a focus for a magical attacks (iSwordsman, Shackling Wave) or simply _throwing_ it (Impale). Sword/axe on Warrior is probably technically more difficult because it not only involves using both weapons offensively, it involves doing so _simultaneously_.

"Swordsman" in my mind means a fighter that uses their sword offensively and defensively, eg. for blocks/parries.

Ranger fits best here, with 1h sword being evasive and flowing, but not magical (eg. no teleports). GS has some very flavourful "swordsman" skills in Counterattack and Hilt Bash.

I think there is some magic in ranger sword skills - those giant ghostly animals aren't popping up naturally.

However, I think it's also fair to distinguish what the ranger does from professions like the guardian and revenant, where many attacks are simply channeling magic through the blade. The ranger is at least in a position where all their attacks involve hitting the enemy with their sword, even if the attacks are magically enhanced, rather than simply channeling magic through the sword or performing actions that would be completely impossible without magic.

When it comes to greatswords... if you're thinking about pure martial prowess, I'd be inclined to say that rangers are better greatsword users than warriors. Warriors feel like they use their greatsword the way people _think_ two-handed swords got used in combat: gripping it exclusively by the handle and swinging the blade at the enemy. Rangers feel closer to using genuine longsword/greatsword techniques. (Although they don't have an 'end him rightly' skill, instead throwing the whole sword and presumably drawing a second one... have to admit, I do roll my eyes a bit at Crippling Throw and Bladetrail.)

For one-handed swords... the question is a bit murkier. If looking at pure martial proficiency, you'd probably be looking at warrior, ranger, or thief.

Warrior is best swordsman. Warr has 6 skills on sword on default and can wield a greatsword.

Mesmer is probably second.

For best sword i am torn apart:

Mesmer, Thief, Warrior and Guardian all have great sword skills.

Thief and Guard are my fav though just due to the teleports.

Rev has a good sword too but u dont like skill number 2,it could have been so mich more. And ranger sword is a love hate relationship. I love the disengage but i hate the locked engage behind a disengage.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> I think there is some magic in ranger sword skills - those giant ghostly animals aren't popping up naturally.

>

> However, I think it's also fair to distinguish what the ranger does from professions like the guardian and revenant, where many attacks are simply channeling magic through the blade. The ranger is at least in a position where all their attacks involve hitting the enemy with their sword, even if the attacks are magically enhanced, rather than simply channeling magic through the sword or performing actions that would be completely impossible without magic.

>

> When it comes to greatswords... if you're thinking about pure martial prowess, I'd be inclined to say that rangers are better greatsword users than warriors. Warriors feel like they use their greatsword the way people _think_ two-handed swords got used in combat: gripping it exclusively by the handle and swinging the blade at the enemy. Rangers feel closer to using genuine longsword/greatsword techniques. (Although they don't have an 'end him rightly' skill, instead throwing the whole sword and presumably drawing a second one... have to admit, I do roll my eyes a bit at Crippling Throw and Bladetrail.)

>

> For one-handed swords... the question is a bit murkier. If looking at pure martial proficiency, you'd probably be looking at warrior, ranger, or thief.

a) Its nice to see there are other Skallagrim fans in the gw community :D

b) I have to agree. Honestly ranger GS is my favourite weapon design in the game. Especially posture on skill #4 is so well made

> @"Lily.1935" said:

> Swords were used more frequently as a side arm. Since armored combat the soldiers would prefer a weapon that could crack armor, like a mace or warhammer. So to put it simply, a sword would be more commonly used with unarmored people. Although there are Sword techniques that can be used against armored foes, such as half swording or the murder stroke. But for its expressed purpose of cutting and stabbing the class I feel would fit that tight quarters city fighting would be mesmer. Misdirection and controlling the field in order to prevent death against an Armored foe. At least Mesmer would be my opinion.

Maces dont crack armor(maces were used against armored targets to "ignore" the armoe and crack the bones beneath)...all your post is nonsense.

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > @"Lily.1935" said:

> > Swords were used more frequently as a side arm. Since armored combat the soldiers would prefer a weapon that could crack armor, like a mace or warhammer. So to put it simply, a sword would be more commonly used with unarmored people. Although there are Sword techniques that can be used against armored foes, such as half swording or the murder stroke. But for its expressed purpose of cutting and stabbing the class I feel would fit that tight quarters city fighting would be mesmer. Misdirection and controlling the field in order to prevent death against an Armored foe. At least Mesmer would be my opinion.

>

> Maces dont crack armor(maces were used against armored targets to "ignore" the armoe and crack the bones beneath)...all your post is nonsense.

There were some mace adjacent weapons made to puncture or dent armor though like warhammers, it might not start cutting into skin or puncture it etc, especially with some stuff worn underneath but it will still cause blunt force trauma and maybe even restrict the wearers movement depending on where and how severely it gets dented.