ELONA'S THEME INSPIRED BY AFRICA

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Ancient Egypt.

>

> Elona is ancient Egypt.

>

> Figured it’d be obvious with all the mummies and pyramids, lol.

Egypt would be the inspiration behind the Awakened, but in GW1, each region had its own very clear inspiration. Vabbi was more Persian/Arabian inspired, while Kourna being of Savannahs was more of southern/western Africa rather than northern like Egypt. Istan had its own distinct feel too (not sure where its inspirations came from).

There was a bit of mixing since Joko, who had Egyptian inspirations in appearance, conquered the rest but we still see bits and pieces of the other inspirations.

Overall, Elona would be an "Africa and middle east" for inspiration.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> Kryta is weird, it went from gw1 looking like aztec or something, to gw2's version which looks alot more pristine. Cantha is based on asian infuences and favelas, underground ganks n kitten. Really different tone u dont see in the rest of tyria.

Don't you mean Tarnished Coast for the Aztec stuff? There wasn't much of Aztec designs in Kryta; the Tarnished Coast and Depths of Tyria had some pretty heavy mesoamerican influences though (which derived from Utopia leftovers). They did have some pretty heavy Iberian influences though, much more than GW2's white-washed versions.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > If the city is destroyed completely i wouldnt mind going back there, but i despised cantha until *after* i got out in the jade sea or the Echevold forest, neither of which exists in the state we knew them as having existed. The Shing Jea islands where nice, but i couldnt stand having to run through that disgusting, monotone city for any length of time >.<

>

> Ditto. I hated that stupid city. I was so happy when I finally got to leave it and go to Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea.

It was all wood anyways. It should have been burned down or rotten away by now.

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > If the city is destroyed completely i wouldnt mind going back there, but i despised cantha until *after* i got out in the jade sea or the Echevold forest, neither of which exists in the state we knew them as having existed. The Shing Jea islands where nice, but i couldnt stand having to run through that disgusting, monotone city for any length of time >.<

> >

> > Ditto. I hated that stupid city. I was so happy when I finally got to leave it and go to Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea.

>

> It was all wood anyways. It should have been burned down or rotten away by now.

Knowing my luck, the city planners probably rebuilt the city exactly as it was, but with materials that I can't burn to the ground.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > If the city is destroyed completely i wouldnt mind going back there, but i despised cantha until *after* i got out in the jade sea or the Echevold forest, neither of which exists in the state we knew them as having existed. The Shing Jea islands where nice, but i couldnt stand having to run through that disgusting, monotone city for any length of time >.<

> > >

> > > Ditto. I hated that stupid city. I was so happy when I finally got to leave it and go to Echovald Forest and the Jade Sea.

> >

> > It was all wood anyways. It should have been burned down or rotten away by now.

>

> Knowing my luck, the city planners probably rebuilt the city exactly as it was, but with materials that I can't burn to the ground.

made of solid granite and theres no windows anymore per the Emperors orders that the outside world is bad!

> @"kenny leone.2973" said:

> I've always wondered if Elona is inspired by the people's of Africa? As I see their hairdo and also their names. I saw the Soulbeast NPC and his surname is the name of my uncle and I am of west African descent. Also many other names look familiar, it's pretty cool. And where is Kryta inspired by?

Yes, it is inspired by African culture. It seems to have a heavier influence with Egyptian culture specifically but it is a mixture of all.