Fresh Air overload

ROMANG.1903

I don't think that spamming Air Overload is an interesting gameplay. Is making Fresh Air recharge the overload a good idea? I don't think so,: The overload is a damage skill, an AOE by itself. It's not an attunment swap that allow you to access your actual skills. It's just as if Lightning Orb or Cyclone was recharged, it doesn't really make sense to me...

The tempest spec is weak ATM and needs buffs but I still think that mechanic needs to go. The attunement would be recharged of course, but the overload would still have all its remaining cooldown.

> @"OddFinrir.6801" said:

> I just tested this. The overload is not recharged, only the attunement.

Test again, I've been playing this build for all of HoT and tried it again today, it hasn't changed.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> It's not a particularly strong gameplay either. So there's nothing forcing you to do it. If you like it, go ahead. If you don't, then don't. Simple.

If you have any Tempest gameplay that deals more damage than by spamming Air Overload, I'm all ears

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > It's not a particularly strong gameplay either. So there's nothing forcing you to do it. If you like it, go ahead. If you don't, then don't. Simple.

>

> If you have any Tempest gameplay that deals more damage than by spamming Air Overload, I'm all ears

Back in the days Bolt to the Heart was the meta over Fresh Air since you did more damage that way. Now the same holds true for Bountiful Power. In any case you always overloaded Fire using staff, even in the Fresh Air build.

> @"OddFinrir.6801" said:

> I just tested this. The overload is not recharged, only the attunement.

The Overload is just using the Attunement again. When you use the Overload, it increases the cooldown of the Attunement, so when you swap to fire and activate fresh air, the Air Attunement gets its cooldown reset. Then when you switch back to air, you have around a five-second default cooldown before you can use it's Overload, just like any other Attunement swap. However that 5 seconds is way down from around 20 seconds without Fresh Air.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> If you have any Tempest gameplay that deals more damage than by spamming Air Overload, I'm all ears

Depends on what you are doing.

But I'm quite sure that burn condi tempest will have higher dps (for longer fights without phases) than FA tempest focusing on overload.

Fire/Arcane/Tempest, sinister gear, burn focused. Can go with scepter/wh for more buffs, dagger/focus for more mobility and burns on ST.

Was meta dps in some raids a while back.

> @"Zyph.8401" said:

> > @"OddFinrir.6801" said:

> > I just tested this. The overload is not recharged, only the attunement.

>

> The Overload is just using the Attunement again. When you use the Overload, it increases the cooldown of the Attunement, so when you swap to fire and activate fresh air, the Air Attunement gets its cooldown reset. Then when you switch back to air, you have around a five-second default cooldown before you can use it's Overload, just like any other Attunement swap. However that 5 seconds is way down from around 20 seconds without Fresh Air.

That is what I am saying. You basically reduce the cooldown of Air Overload by 15 seconds. I don't think that should be possible.

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Zyph.8401" said:

> > > @"OddFinrir.6801" said:

> > > I just tested this. The overload is not recharged, only the attunement.

> >

> > The Overload is just using the Attunement again. When you use the Overload, it increases the cooldown of the Attunement, so when you swap to fire and activate fresh air, the Air Attunement gets its cooldown reset. Then when you switch back to air, you have around a five-second default cooldown before you can use it's Overload, just like any other Attunement swap. However that 5 seconds is way down from around 20 seconds without Fresh Air.

>

> That is what I am saying. You basically reduce the cooldown of Air Overload by 15 seconds. I don't think that should be possible.

Again, there's no problem with this. Otherwise Fresh Air overload spam wouldn't be so far outside the meta.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > @"Zyph.8401" said:

> > > > @"OddFinrir.6801" said:

> > > > I just tested this. The overload is not recharged, only the attunement.

> > >

> > > The Overload is just using the Attunement again. When you use the Overload, it increases the cooldown of the Attunement, so when you swap to fire and activate fresh air, the Air Attunement gets its cooldown reset. Then when you switch back to air, you have around a five-second default cooldown before you can use it's Overload, just like any other Attunement swap. However that 5 seconds is way down from around 20 seconds without Fresh Air.

> >

> > That is what I am saying. You basically reduce the cooldown of Air Overload by 15 seconds. I don't think that should be possible.

>

> Again, there's no problem with this. Otherwise Fresh Air overload spam wouldn't be so far outside the meta.

I agree that Tempest spec needs buffs, but this mechanic needs to go, it's just brainless and not even pleasant to use

> @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > No it doesn't. You don't like it? Don't use it. Simple.

>

> If you're gonna say that, better not say anything at all.

>

> I would like to play Tempest spec without having to use that brainless gameplay if I want to be effective.

You are *not* being effective by doing Air overload spam. That's precisely why there's no problem. Pretty much any spec allows for some brainless gameplay. P/P unload spam on thief for instance. LB Ranger pew-pew. Engi flamethrower spam. Guard hammer/scepter AA. These are all pretty viable in the open world, but nowhere near actually effective. Just like FA overload spam.

The proper way to play FA Tempest (on land) used to be overload, glyph of storms, fire attunement, LF, MS, overload, LF, and only then back to Air while holding a conjure to avoid using low-damage air skills. Only here you would "spam" overload air - read, cast it twice - while waiting for Fire attunement to recharge.

The rotation is probably even more loaded toward Fire now, since it is generally better to use glyph of storms in fire. As such, you're getting very little value out of Fresh Air and you're probably better off using Arcane over Air anyway, since the opener would be exactly the same but the damage would be much higher thanks to Bountiful Power.