How do weapon sets synergize with the Thief's "roles" in PvP?

Kageseigi.2150

I’ll chime in on P/D (condi). As condi thief uses traits and utilities over weapon skills to be efffectove I think it’s a little misplaced to discuss a role for condi thief based on the weapons rather than the trait mechanics, but I’ll offer some insight into the weapon’s contribution.

Think of the set as a support build in general. That doesn’t mean it can’t spike damage burst but it does have a lot of utility.

Body Shot for immobilizes and vuln. So many times locking down the enemy lets my team spike them down. I can significantly contribute without even using a dps spike. In this sense I can support a damage spike or lock down a melee player to keep my team alive.

Dancing Dagger for vulnerability and torment. This is very effective to again limit enemy movement and apply condi damage pressure. It also bounces so I can use it against stealthed players with pet/summons.

Shadow Strike for torment and kiting. This is what makes P/D an excellent kiting/mobile set. You can use this ability poorly but it has strong effect when you learn to use it. It has what P/P lacks in this regard. You can only get this on a power set by using rifle DE.

To the mention of AoE cleave earlier. This is a mistaken impression of condi thief. If a condi thief wants cleave the best way is weapon swap to shortbow. It’s not the strongest cleave but comes with good cc. That can be deadly in the right context so it’s not all bad. But as a weapon set P/D is primarily single target like P/P or rifle.