pistol shield Holo

PierPiero.9142

Hi, i met a lot of pistol shield holosmith in wvw and some also in spvp. They all are using Xan pistol shield build. What do you think of that setup ? It has much less burst than rifle but defensive capability are better . I found pistol shield easy to play than rifle, but i use a different variation from xan .... ( invention instead of tools ) becouse i lose vigor and damage but i gain swiftness , a bit of survivability and shield cd reduction . Do you prefer rilfe or pistol shield as Xan ? Why you rate one better than other ?

Better defensive utility than rifle, especially when holo is your best burst. The blind is good defensively and the ranged poison is good for when your target is trying to disengage to heal.

I've watched several deadeyes and rangers burst themselves down from the shield reflect too :)

It works.

For pvp / wvw, I prefer shield to rifle 100%

> @"Peutrifectus.4830" said:

> Better defensive utility than rifle, especially when holo is your best burst. The blind is good defensively and the ranged poison is good for when your target is trying to disengage to heal.

>

> I've watched several deadeyes and rangers burst themselves down from the shield reflect too :)

>

> It works.

>

> For pvp / wvw, I prefer shield to rifle 100%

the only think i don't understand is why taking tools instead of invention.... invention imho is better with cd reduce ( cd on shields are huge ) and condi cleans on protection is great ..... ok with tools you have more burst... but in my opinion invention is far better ( matter of taste )

Might depend on where the meta is at then, what you find the build needs at that time and perhaps what you might struggling with. I bounce back and forth between the inventions and tools lines myself but it personal preference and a matter of what you need at the time.

Yeah, it's for the 10% dmg under vigor which stacks with the 15% at 50% heat. Gives immense burst. With other active defenses and an abundance of vigor means you're not solely relying on shield for defense. Passive quickness, a free stunbreak and reveal (which procs a stack towards quickness) bring more in terms of hurt.

> @"PierPiero.9142" said:

> > @"Peutrifectus.4830" said:

> > Better defensive utility than rifle, especially when holo is your best burst. The blind is good defensively and the ranged poison is good for when your target is trying to disengage to heal.

> >

> > I've watched several deadeyes and rangers burst themselves down from the shield reflect too :)

> >

> > It works.

> >

> > For pvp / wvw, I prefer shield to rifle 100%

>

> the only think i don't understand is why taking tools instead of invention.... invention imho is better with cd reduce ( cd on shields are huge ) and condi cleans on protection is great ..... ok with tools you have more burst... but in my opinion invention is far better ( matter of taste )

I leave inventions at home with the shield often. Either a cheeky elixir C or elixir gun can make up for the condi removal. I prefer the latter as super elixir>magnetic inversion>elixir bomb clears 3 on 5 peops.

It's choice between more passive condi clear, protection and less burst or more aggressive play.

Over the years, as I've got more confident, I ve come to prefer active defense with more traited dps.

But like you say, it's to taste.

Tools is more damage, vigor 10%, lock-in 10 stacks of vulnerability and constant quickness plus low cooldowns on toolbelt. Might stacks quicker, already using holo forge for 15% damage reduction. If traveling with small group, inventions is better as you can share protection and condi removal.

When I run rifle or sword I use firearms over tools. I like the increased crits for damage.

Pistol shield Xan build works best in a team play scenario in my opinion, if you have a mate or a group.

Don't get me wrong it is good in solo too, after trying a lot of of pistol/shield sword/shield and rifle, I just can't drop my rifle... the rifle immobilize is a 360° skill and you don't even have to watch your enemy, but only have him as a target to shoot the immob, and it saved me several times. Not to mention rifle4, one of the best and longest stuns in the entire game, if you manage to land it when you have stability and when your enemy is out of stunbreaks you just won the fight with only that skill.

The other 2 skills are just pure damage with rifle5 a bit of mobility as well.

After toss elixir u change, range pressure is a big deal and shield helps. But when you will find those stupid rangers running perma immob and unblockables you won't even notice yoy have a shield because you will get destroyed regardless, but yeah in the end it's just personal taste. The options are pretty much 3.

Running Xan's build.

Running a Static Discharge build.

Running a build made by you that makes you have fun and works for you.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> If only pistol didnt have such dismal power damage it could be interesting as an alternative to the rifle power holo... But it really is a pea shooter only useful in p/p config for full condi builds.

Pistol can do decent damage if you also run a little tanky with it. cele amulet with some regen, coupled with flamethrower and burn on crits, as well as bunker down could provide some decent pressure while holding a node in your favor, or keeping it neutral. inventions shield cd reduction, along with a bulwark gyro and your choice between purge gyro, or tool kit for an extra block and some confusion stacking could prove useful. pistol/shield could definitely work, you just need to find its sweet spot. single pistol is not meant to do tons of damage, only enough to provide steady pressure while also providing some defense to stay on node.

But for the case of holo, it's more using the traits that give you more defense. I would run holo trait line 1-2-2 for might stacking, or even 1-2-3 to blow up on people on a node.

I've had a bash with Xans build (modified for pvp ofc) and retested with inventions over tools and there was a marked difference.

I think with the current power curve (read as creep), there's much more mileage from the dps bonus from tools. At current the available burst melts you even if you have protection, if it lands ofc. Also the perma vigor/tool belt cds was missed dearly.

Over all, both functional absolutely but I'm on board with alch/tools/holo.

> @"PierPiero.9142" said:

> Hi, i met a lot of pistol shield holosmith in wvw and some also in spvp. They all are using Xan pistol shield build. What do you think of that setup ? It has much less burst than rifle but defensive capability are better . I found pistol shield easy to play than rifle, but i use a different variation from xan .... ( invention instead of tools ) becouse i lose vigor and damage but i gain swiftness , a bit of survivability and shield cd reduction . Do you prefer rilfe or pistol shield as Xan ? Why you rate one better than other ?

I also run inventions p/sh with two commanders trinkets for a high cleanse/boon build through protection and conversion. Yes it lacks some burst, but still gets the job done especially against condi mes and necro and is fantastic in team play.

> @"Tehologist.5841" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > Also been tinkering with p/sh holo with inventions and tools still relying on protection for cleanse and running no elixirs.

>

> Nice, are you running thumper turret?

Actually, no. With Hard Light Arena, Healing Turret, Shield, Spectrum Shield, and Flash Spark personal conditions aren't really a problem except from the most toxic of Mirages because their application outdoes all these cool downs.

> @"Tehologist.5841" said:

> I forgot about Hard Light Arena applying protection.

Yup, in the team build with Purity of Purpose it's great, especially at high heat. In the personal build it's still nice, especially if someone is silly enough to fight you in it.

It's cc is also very nice in my opinion.