The Next Elite Spec; What Is Engineer Missing?

rrusse.7058

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Frostmane.9734" said:

> This won't be a fun answer, but I personally hope they don't develop another e-spec and use the energy to revamp core specs. There are tons for fun builds, across all professions, that the core game had that are just unplayable now. Let's get some remediation and build diversity before we expand again.

I actually love the E-specs. Sure it takes time away from old core builds but it interjects new life into a profession and opens up new playstyles. Core stuff can always be buffed via patches, which they do do from time to time. But I can promise you sales would likely drop for a new expansion if it just focused on core material. People want new toys when they buy expansions. Afterall, not everyone is involved in Endgame level story content.

As for what the profession could use, I want a second long range combat outside of rifle. We've gotten two melee specs and they're lots of fun but I'd also like to be up to blow stuff up at a distance with something other than the rifle.

* Sereval traits do not Works on downed state. Fix that (unfair Ranger Profession able to use his mecanic, pet skills, while the engineer can't least use his traits).

* Ranged damage that do not requires spend 2 toolbelt slot + static discharge trait.

* Sword Skills (Sword stills useless).

* T3 Exceed Skills.

* F5 skill on Holosmith.

* Burn damage on Flamethrower.

* Mine stills useless, remove that.

* Teleport (May be good change Throw Mine to a transport device that transports the engineer to Mine/Transport device location; )

• 2 weeks later...

Im hoping for a staff engineer that uses ‘nanobots’ (purely flavour text, no AI nonsense) to inflict debilitating conditions onto the enemy from the inside out. Staff skills play with Nanotech idea and are themed around Electrical AoEs.

Due to the fact these nanobots are ‘inside’ the enemy’ bloodstream, maybe a few of the soft cc debuffs could be uncleansable.

F-skills replace the toolkit and allow the Engie to have an array of nanobots deployable at all times.

Utility type: Nanotech

Heal skill = Low initial heal paired with rapid regen over 8s as the Nanomachines mend you from within.

I’d post more but I don’t want my post too long.

I'm firm with the reliable long range damage as the next elite spec, preferably power too since engineer's have a lot of options for conditions already with pistols and kits, even if they aren't new condi's aren't really lacking so I'd say some power damage. My first idea which I've posted before was a longbow, 1200 range with different arrow tips for damage and weapon augments (like thief venoms but physical instead of conditions) like a magnetic augment that would pull nearby foes to the enemy you hit when applied.

I got another idea now too with Staff for those of you who like that weapon. This one would be a power DoT spec with a burst attack you can access by consuming the DoT's applied. I don't really have all the specifics made up but basically you'd have a staff auto which would be a 3 chain set up, first two attacks fire laser bolts at the enemy and the final attack fires a shredder bolt which basically would apply a very small damage but long duration DoT, similar effect to how a thief's pulmonary impact works, just over time. the other staff skills would have some other power DoT abilities too, maybe with some extra effect on the first impact since power DoT really isn't interesting on its own. then the 5 skill would be a ammo skill that consumes the DoT's for a burst that scales with how many DoT's were applied.

You'd have to hit the initial strike for any of the DoT's to apply of course and since there would be a lot of power DoT's they would not be unblockable and any damage mitigating effects would apply to the DoT's as well (so like weakness could cause glances and dodging would evade them and the damage would be blocked as well.

Just an idea I had for something different that we haven't seen, since pretty much all power damage is actively striking except a few skills (like Ray of Judgement).

Personally out of theme I like my longbow with arrow tips idea better but this one has an interesting concept IMO.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> * Boon strips beyond throw mine.

I was thinking this only a few days ago, that adding boon strip to bunker down would be ideal. Then with gadgeteer traited thrown mine and sigil of annulment, you'd have a fair bit going on.

If that's not enough for you, it could be reasoned that analyse foe (goggles toolbelt skill) would be a good thematic fit for 1x boon removal and also continues on the gadget theme, which could do with the attention.

There can't really be a condi elite spec without heavy core condi nerfs since condi engi is in a solid spot now.

I would prefer a support spec as new elite. One that focusses on buffs instead of healing to have finally some competition on that role. Currently chrono is the only profession able to provide quickness + alacrity. Would be nice to have more than one profession being able to do that.

Should limit healing output though since having boons + heal on one build would be way too op.

I had a thought on this last night...

**Heavy Weaponist**

Loses access to kits, all f# skills are replaced with heavy weapons.

Example: f1 - rocket launcher: all weapon skills are replaced with (none-ground) targetted arcing prjectiles (not as long range or high arcing as mortar). **Rocket:** an area blast (20% chance finisher) auto attack, **bunker buster:** an armour piercing missile, **incendiary missile** clues in the name,** multiple rocket pod** (channelled single target small missiles), **chaff launcher** (defensive aoe blind and smoke field) and **seeker missile** (lond cd powerful missile with big telegraph).

f2 could be mini gun, short range cone firing style, f3 power gaultlets for melee range low dmg high cc, f4

• 3 weeks later...

Am i the only one who wants to use the next Elite spec as an opportunity to expand our abilities as a reliable Healer?

The recent Med Kit rework was a mark to the right step, and i think it only needs a little push that could integrate the reamining missing aspects of a great support build (dmg coeficient buffs, boon spread, healing boosts, you name it).

Even if this e-spec wasn't at the mark of druid usefulness, at least reach to a decent firebrand support tier in terms of versatility for the team.

> @"Frostmane.9734" said:

> This won't be a fun answer, but I personally hope they don't develop another e-spec and use the energy to revamp core specs. There are tons for fun builds, across all professions, that the core game had that are just unplayable now. Let's get some remediation and build diversity before we expand again.

i would love to see that they add a new weapon for all base classes...

And a new set of traits and utillity skills

Not with the next expansion.. (expansions are for elite specs)

But with the release of season 5...

This indeed would be the right moment to do so...

I would be nice if the engineer could get a new utility skills in every cattegory.. and finally a gadget elite...

As weapon i would love to see a long bow...

> @"Milan.9035" said:

> I am seeing a staff lighting focused high range and damage espec.

>

> @"Bomboed.5697" said:

> # Elite spec: Technomancer

> **Role:** Long range constant damage DPS / melee range bunker-bruiser.

>

> ## Weapon - Staff

> 1200 range power-based weapon.

> Staff is an electricity based weapon that has it's own unique mechanic - _Conduction_.

> Some staff skills apply _Conduction_ on enemies while others benefit from it. _Conduction_ can be applied on multiple targets to create _Electrical Circuit_ between them. Some staff attack can chain between targets in _Electrical Circuit_ or their strength can depend on number of targets in _Electrical Circuit_.

> **Examples:**

>

> * Skill #1 is main attack that damages main target with lighting, applies and refreshes _Conduction_ and chains to other targets with _Conduction_.

> * Skill #2 is attack that launches a ball of lighting at target and than bounces between all nearby targets with _Conduction_. Each time when this attack damages target it also applies _Vulnerability_. Can damage the same target X number of times. After final bounce from enemy the ball bounces back to Engineer and gives him stack of Might for each applied stack of Vulnerability.

> * Skill #3 is main way to apply _Conduction_ on multiple targets at once. It is a ground targeted ability with a little delay that damages multiple enemies and applies _Conduction_ and Cripple on them.

> * Skill #4 is heavy burst single target attacks, that clears all _Conduction_ stacks on targets around main target and deals damage and immobilizes target. Damage and immobilize duration are based on number of cleared _Conduction_ effects.

> * Skill #5 is ability that teleports Engineer in targeted location, clears _Conduction_ from all enemies and grants Engineer X amount of Absorb shield for each cleared _Conduction_.

>

> ## New ability type - Device

> _Device_ are ground target abilities similar to Wells, but all _Devices_ have 3 effects:

> * Initial effects that activates when _Device_ is deployed

> * Persistent effect that is pulses while _Device_ is active

> * Final effect that activates when _Device_ duration expires

>

> **Example:**

> Gravity Polarizator: places _Device_ in targeted location that pulls all enemies towards it after a brief delay and then pulses damage and stacks of _Vulnerability_. When _Device_ duration expires it knocks all enemies away.

>

> ## New class mechanic - Mech-suit

> All weapon skills generate _Power Charge._ This _Power Charge_ acts like a second health bar similar to Necro's Death Shroud when _Mech_ is activated by F5 key. F5 is a 1200 range _Leap_, which helps to engage melee combat after fighting at long range with Staff. _Power Charge_ depletes by taking damage.

> _Mech-suit_ skills are mostly melee, but with some range options. _Mech_ attacks are slow, powerful, most of them has fairly long CDs. A lot of skills has a CC components like knock-back or knockdown.

> All _Toolbelt_ skills are changed to special _Mech-suit_ skills called _Overdrive_. Each _Overdrive_ skill has a very powerful effect, but can be used only **once** per _Mech-suit_ summon. This limitation engages players to switch between normal mode and _Mech_ mode more frequently.

> Engineer in _Mech-suit_ mode is quite tanky due to second HP bar in form of _Power Charge_, but staying too long in this mode costs a dps loss due too long CDs.

> Pressing F5 key when _Mech_ is active engages a _Self-Destruction_ sequence and allows Engineer to leap away. _Self-Destruction_ destroys _Mech_ and consumes all _Power Charge_. _Self-Destruction_ deals a lot of AoE damage by default, but can have more effects with special Traits. _Self-Destruction_ effect are more powerful if more _Power Charge_ consumed.

> _Self-Destruction_ triggers automatically when all Power Charge is depleted, but with very weak effect.

> _Self-Destruction_ has a short time window that allows player to choose where to leap away.

>

> ## PROS:

> * Reliable long range option

> * Good constant damage with a little CC options

> * Good sustain and bunker potential with Mech-suit

> * Engaging gameplay that encourages constant switching between long range damaging and close range tanking and CCing

> * **No AI involved**

>

> ## CONS:

> * Fairly long CDs

> * Toolbelt skills are locked in Mech-suit mode

> * Mech-suit attacks are slow and readable in PvP

> @"Bomboed.5697" said:

> > @"Milan.9035" said:

> > I am seeing a staff lighting focused high range and damage espec.

> >

>

> > @"Bomboed.5697" said:

> > # Elite spec: Technomancer

> > **Role:** Long range constant damage DPS / melee range bunker-bruiser.

> >

> > ## Weapon - Staff

> > 1200 range power-based weapon.

> > Staff is an electricity based weapon that has it's own unique mechanic - _Conduction_.

> > Some staff skills apply _Conduction_ on enemies while others benefit from it. _Conduction_ can be applied on multiple targets to create _Electrical Circuit_ between them. Some staff attack can chain between targets in _Electrical Circuit_ or their strength can depend on number of targets in _Electrical Circuit_.

> > **Examples:**

> >

> > * Skill #1 is main attack that damages main target with lighting, applies and refreshes _Conduction_ and chains to other targets with _Conduction_.

> > * Skill #2 is attack that launches a ball of lighting at target and than bounces between all nearby targets with _Conduction_. Each time when this attack damages target it also applies _Vulnerability_. Can damage the same target X number of times. After final bounce from enemy the ball bounces back to Engineer and gives him stack of Might for each applied stack of Vulnerability.

> > * Skill #3 is main way to apply _Conduction_ on multiple targets at once. It is a ground targeted ability with a little delay that damages multiple enemies and applies _Conduction_ and Cripple on them.

> > * Skill #4 is heavy burst single target attacks, that clears all _Conduction_ stacks on targets around main target and deals damage and immobilizes target. Damage and immobilize duration are based on number of cleared _Conduction_ effects.

> > * Skill #5 is ability that teleports Engineer in targeted location, clears _Conduction_ from all enemies and grants Engineer X amount of Absorb shield for each cleared _Conduction_.

> >

> > ## New ability type - Device

> > _Device_ are ground target abilities similar to Wells, but all _Devices_ have 3 effects:

> > * Initial effects that activates when _Device_ is deployed

> > * Persistent effect that is pulses while _Device_ is active

> > * Final effect that activates when _Device_ duration expires

> >

> > **Example:**

> > Gravity Polarizator: places _Device_ in targeted location that pulls all enemies towards it after a brief delay and then pulses damage and stacks of _Vulnerability_. When _Device_ duration expires it knocks all enemies away.

> >

> > ## New class mechanic - Mech-suit

> > All weapon skills generate _Power Charge._ This _Power Charge_ acts like a second health bar similar to Necro's Death Shroud when _Mech_ is activated by F5 key. F5 is a 1200 range _Leap_, which helps to engage melee combat after fighting at long range with Staff. _Power Charge_ depletes by taking damage.

> > _Mech-suit_ skills are mostly melee, but with some range options. _Mech_ attacks are slow, powerful, most of them has fairly long CDs. A lot of skills has a CC components like knock-back or knockdown.

> > All _Toolbelt_ skills are changed to special _Mech-suit_ skills called _Overdrive_. Each _Overdrive_ skill has a very powerful effect, but can be used only **once** per _Mech-suit_ summon. This limitation engages players to switch between normal mode and _Mech_ mode more frequently.

> > Engineer in _Mech-suit_ mode is quite tanky due to second HP bar in form of _Power Charge_, but staying too long in this mode costs a dps loss due too long CDs.

> > Pressing F5 key when _Mech_ is active engages a _Self-Destruction_ sequence and allows Engineer to leap away. _Self-Destruction_ destroys _Mech_ and consumes all _Power Charge_. _Self-Destruction_ deals a lot of AoE damage by default, but can have more effects with special Traits. _Self-Destruction_ effect are more powerful if more _Power Charge_ consumed.

> > _Self-Destruction_ triggers automatically when all Power Charge is depleted, but with very weak effect.

> > _Self-Destruction_ has a short time window that allows player to choose where to leap away.

> >

> > ## PROS:

> > * Reliable long range option

> > * Good constant damage with a little CC options

> > * Good sustain and bunker potential with Mech-suit

> > * Engaging gameplay that encourages constant switching between long range damaging and close range tanking and CCing

> > * **No AI involved**

> >

> > ## CONS:

> > * Fairly long CDs

> > * Toolbelt skills are locked in Mech-suit mode

> > * Mech-suit attacks are slow and readable in PvP

>

>

Yea plz do this.

> @"Nephalem.8921" said:

> There can't really be a condi elite spec without heavy core condi nerfs since condi engi is in a solid spot now.

>

> I would prefer a support spec as new elite. One that focusses on buffs instead of healing to have finally some competition on that role. Currently chrono is the only profession able to provide quickness + alacrity. Would be nice to have more than one profession being able to do that.

> Should limit healing output though since having boons + heal on one build would be way too op.

I disagree.

Core condi is unnecessarily complicated for the value it brings. If getting a sane condi spec requires razing core condi to the ground: so be it it.

How about some mace-swinging support engi?

Artificer:

The artificer uses ley-infused crystals as cores for small machinations that allow him to alter himself and his surroundings (think signets)

Mainhand weapon would be a mace with a ley-infused core.

The #1 rota would consist of 2 swings that cause linear aoe's in a short to medium range in front of him, and a 3rd to cause cripple for 2 seconds in the same area. The first 2 hits inflict the unique condition "ley-radiated", which in itself does damage similar to poison, lasts for 3 seconds and can be cleaned by normal means.

The #2 skill pulls all enemies in a 1.2k range who are currently ley-radiated towards the engi. All Targets within 240 range will receive ley-radiated and blind.

The #3 skill is a blast-finisher & inflicts burning and confusion on any target in a 240 range. Lay-radiated targets get additionally rooted for a short time.

This weapon can be combined with shield or pistol, and should synergize well with both.

Utilities:

Crystal Cores work similar to signets, in that they grant unique buffs to the wearer and offer offensive use upon activation. Additionally Crystal Cores block their corresponding Toolbelt-Skill with an aura that grants supportive effects to allies, who mirror the Actual Crystal Core to a lesser degree. Ofc these shut down too once a Core goes on cd.

Healing-Skill

Life-Core

Off cd: Pulses Healing equal to 3 times regeneration (scales with healingpower like regeneration) to the engi.

Toolbelt: Pulses regeneration to allies

Activation: Projects a waterfield. Syphons life from enemies in 480 range. Inflicts direct damage equal to 20% of the engineers total health to enemies. Heals the engi as much as total damage dealt. Allies in range receive 15% of dealt damage as healing, too

Utility

Speed-Core

Off cd: Pulses a unique form of superspeed to the engi that only increases his movement-speed, not his attack speed. Ignores cripple and immobilize, but can still be pulled / knocked around

Toolbelt: Pulses swiftness to allies.

Activation: Stun-breaker. Projects a smoke-field. Grants superspeed to the engi and cripples enemies in a 480 range. Ley-radiated targets get immobilized. Consumes Lay-radiation

Light-Core

Off cd: Transmutes 1 condition on the Engi every 10 seconds into a boon. Has an internal cd that triggers only upon receiving a condition

Toolbelt: Cleanses 1 condition every 10 seconds from allies.

Activation: Projects a light-field. Transmutes 2 conditions on allies into boons, and 2 boons on enemies into conditions. Lay radiated targets have up to 4 boons transmuted. Consumes lay-radiation

Storm-Core

Off cd: Pulse 5 seconds of fury every 10 seconds on the engi

Toolbelt: Grant a uniqe buff that increases precision on allies by 150

Activation: Stun-breaker. Projects a lightning-field. Daze enemies in 240 range for 2 seconds. Lay-radiated targets get stunned for 1 sec. Consumes lay-radiation.

Force-Core

Off cd: Grant a unique buff to the engi that increases toughness by 150

Toolbelt: Pulses 3sec of protection every 10 seconds to allies

Activation: Projects a light-field. Projects a projectile-destroying bubble centered on the engineer. Lay-radiated targets have their projectiles reflected and are dazed for 1 second. The daze-proc consumes lay-radiation.

Might-Core

Off cd: Grants a unique Buff that increases condition-damage to the engineer by 150

Toolbelt: Stacks 1 might on allies every 5 seconds. Lasts 15 seconds.

Activation: Projects a fire-field. Inflicts 10 Stacks of vulnerability on enemies in a 240 range. Lay-radiated enemies suffer from weakness. Consumes lay-radiation.

Elite:

I'm kinda lost on this one.

Could be either a device that resets core (utility?)-cd's instantly on a 90sec cd, that pulses 3sec of alacrity every 10sec for the engi only, and inflicts slow on ley-radiated targets upon activation.

or:

Magneton-Core

Off cd: Grants 2 Stacks of stability to the engineer every 10 sec

Toolbelt: Grants 1 Stack of Stability to allies every 10 sec

Activation: Stun-Breaker. Unleashes an AoE-Knockback. Inflicts 10 Stacks of confusion on lay-radiated targets. Consumes lay-radiation.

Traits should revolve around improvements on certain Cores on the top-lane, Maze-Improvements on the middle, and lay-radiation at the bottom. After unlocking the weapon, general core traits should revolve around general condi-dmg and survivability.

I'm a huge fan of the heavy weapon idea for a long range spec - like a kit capable of big sustained damage but is slow moving, and can knock over or apply continual cripple and weakness in an AOE cone. Alternatively can used as a good range damage defense class with multiple options for missile destruction and some reflect. new weapon is mainhand mace.

> @"Fipmip.7219" said:

> I'm a huge fan of the heavy weapon idea for a long range spec - like a kit capable of big sustained damage but is slow moving, and can knock over or apply continual cripple and weakness in an AOE cone. Alternatively can used as a good range damage defense class with multiple options for missile destruction and some reflect. new weapon is mainhand mace.

You know you want it ...

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/126473/horrik.jpg