[Suggestion] Kneel, run, Kneel, run Deadeye 'Kneel mode' concept explained (for better mobility)

Eidolonemesis.5640

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > while i like the idea on first sight, i wonder if it actually makes a difference?

> >

> > Of course it will make a difference for many explained reasons throughout this thread.

> >

> > > because for animation reasons, i dont think you will be instantly in kneel after stopping to move.

> >

> > Anet would have to implement code where it runs a check on the player, who, if in 'Kneel mode' and begins running, and then comes to a complete stop, automatically triggers 'Kneel mode' again and again as the player stops and goes unless the player breaks out of 'Kneel mode' altogether manually by hitting Skill 5.

> >

> > >and if your character does again this kneel down move, then you might aswell unkeel, move , kneel and have your skills ready to use. the issue is not having to press the key for kneeling, its the animation time for kneeling and unkneeling wich feels like ages. i atleast can press multiple buttons at a time, yet i cant skip those animations.

> >

> > You are not understanding the concept in the OP... The problem is _not_ with the animation; the problem is indeed the constant key press of Skill 5 every time you choose to get up and run again, whereupon you will have to manually hit Skill 5 again to go into 'Kneel mode' to kneel/snipe from a new position.

> >

> > **If you scroll up** to the video I shared with casualkenny, picture what you are seeing in the video, except with Skill 5 _never_ having to be pressed or going on cooldown (as a result of a button press) while moving from one point to another point only if/when your character is in 'Kneel mode'.

> >

> > With my concept, if your character is in 'Kneel mode', and you use any of your directional keys (or mouse) to move your character, your character automatically gets up and runs without having to press Skill 5 again and again each time you want to kneel/snipe from a new position. However, your skills (_except_ Skill 5 to break out of 'Kneel mode') are disabled when running in 'Kneel mode' until you come to a complete stop again. That is the difference.

>

> your problem is pressing the key, my problem is the animation. **i dont mind pressing keys for fluidity**, i mind animations tho.

Pressing keys (in this case, having to mash Skill 5 an unnecessary amount of times between kneeling/unkneeling) does _not_ = fluidity. I am not sure what your definition of fluidity is, but it surely is _not_ having to mash Skill 5 over and over just to re-position your sniper from one point to another point.

The concept in the OP is _not_ hard to grasp; you are only making it seem hard to grasp by complicating something so simple that is not complicated at all.

> @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:

> > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > your problem is pressing the key, my problem is the animation. i dont mind pressing keys for fluidity, i mind animations tho.

> > >

> > > The number of keys you press affects the animation since some skills are placed in the queue (or stack) and before the next animation to play, the previous animation has to finish. For instance, waiting for the Mark animation to finish before the Kneeling animation can begin. The delay is sometimes caused by latency.

> >

> > i know, thats still only an issue because both kneel and unkneel have an animation.

>

> But there has to be an animation, I don't think that will change. In order to reduce the clunkiness is to eliminate the number of times we have to press the buttons.

You are one of few who really understands, Vincent. Yes, there is an animation for every skill in this game, and those who do have a problem with the animation time between kneel/unkneel should then get behind the concept in the OP that _will_ reduce the amount of times the animation triggers every time you want to re-position your sniper, since you can go a map's length of running until your character comes to a complete stop and kneels down again, whereupon all skills are immediately enabled again to use.

**P.S.** After giving this thread a rest for a few weeks and revisiting it, only to find no credible counterargument exists against the concept I propose, I still believe Anet's devs should really look into this, because there is no good reason not to. Playing Deadeye still feels sluggish.

> @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> > > > while i like the idea on first sight, i wonder if it actually makes a difference?

> > >

> > > Of course it will make a difference for many explained reasons throughout this thread.

> > >

> > > > because for animation reasons, i dont think you will be instantly in kneel after stopping to move.

> > >

> > > Anet would have to implement code where it runs a check on the player, who, if in 'Kneel mode' and begins running, and then comes to a complete stop, automatically triggers 'Kneel mode' again and again as the player stops and goes unless the player breaks out of 'Kneel mode' altogether manually by hitting Skill 5.

> > >

> > > >and if your character does again this kneel down move, then you might aswell unkeel, move , kneel and have your skills ready to use. the issue is not having to press the key for kneeling, its the animation time for kneeling and unkneeling wich feels like ages. i atleast can press multiple buttons at a time, yet i cant skip those animations.

> > >

> > > You are not understanding the concept in the OP... The problem is _not_ with the animation; the problem is indeed the constant key press of Skill 5 every time you choose to get up and run again, whereupon you will have to manually hit Skill 5 again to go into 'Kneel mode' to kneel/snipe from a new position.

> > >

> > > **If you scroll up** to the video I shared with casualkenny, picture what you are seeing in the video, except with Skill 5 _never_ having to be pressed or going on cooldown (as a result of a button press) while moving from one point to another point only if/when your character is in 'Kneel mode'.

> > >

> > > With my concept, if your character is in 'Kneel mode', and you use any of your directional keys (or mouse) to move your character, your character automatically gets up and runs without having to press Skill 5 again and again each time you want to kneel/snipe from a new position. However, your skills (_except_ Skill 5 to break out of 'Kneel mode') are disabled when running in 'Kneel mode' until you come to a complete stop again. That is the difference.

> >

> > your problem is pressing the key, my problem is the animation. **i dont mind pressing keys for fluidity**, i mind animations tho.

>

> Pressing keys (in this case, having to mash Skill 5 an unnecessary amount of times between kneeling/unkneeling) does _not_ = fluidity. I am not sure what your definition of fluidity is, but it surely is _not_ having to mash Skill 5 over and over just to re-position your sniper from one point to another point.

>

> The concept in the OP is _not_ hard to grasp; you are only making it seem hard to grasp by complicating something so simple that is not complicated at all.

>

hard to grasp? i understand that concept in your OP.

i still would prefer to just remove the animation and if they just remove the animationlock of kneeling that would help alot.

pressing keys for actions gives you control over your character wich is important, if the characters actions are harder to control IMO it will feel more clunky. but i guess i could just use your toggle in the same way it is now. but as one can usually easily press way more buttons than one can perform actions (because of animation time again) i dont really see whats your issue with pressing the button, i personally just hate the animation and especially that it has an animationlock like a movement skill.

i think because of that also you sometimes cant kneel or use deaths retreat when immobilized because the game counts that somehow as a movement and cancels it altho both are ways to deal with immobilize when it works.

It boils down to design fundamentals...GW2 combat was originally supposed to allow a fluid (mobile) combat experience. In fact, many skills have had animation/mechanical changes over the years to remove the "stuck in place" root while casting aspect. We (as players) even gravitate to mobility combat skills as the "better" or "more skilled" options because they are more fun.

The underlying core of why Deadeye "feels odd" is because we have a weapon set that makes you sit in one spot and spam weapon skills (balanced for the self-imposed root). Deadeye rifle does have the weaker 2nd mobile attack options (but there is virtually no reason to ever use them without a misclick outside of 4). Rifle remains clunky and by nature, poor design to the theme of "fun" mobile combat aspect.

TL;DR the Kneel/Stand Up animation is just annoying and not fun.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> Give a crouch which let's you move and grants super speed xd

I was going to suggest a crouch except more like shooters have where you slow down but your reticle and spread gets tighter. They could add a cool but directional or telling animation so it feels more fluid and less stop-n-go, like old Starwars galaxies dive, prone, roll skills. It would put you into crouch mode where you'd be less mobile rather than immobile but have current Kneel modifiers. Plus, if they ever do anything to dodge stealth Silent scope they could have Crouch give more critical range but also some defensive modifiers like deflection or a soft cloak that would still activate Shadow Arts.

> @"MakubeC.3026" said:

> Hmm, could be interesting. Although I've always thought that just breaking kneel when jumping would be easier.

I mean, any good thief uses weapon stow cancels anyway, and weapon stowing breaks kneel... This should be second nature, not even an inconvenience really to most decent thieves. I think what the OP is getting at is that this still doesn't keep you from wearing out your kneel key-bind because you have to RE-enter the kneel once you reposition, which against anyone with any awareness will be constantly.