l2p

As already mentioned, plan to be mobile as much as possible; but more importantly, work on how to inflict damage _while_ moving/kiting. If you dodge and run, you avoid damage, but if that repeats then eventually the mob will wear you down, unless you can find ways to inflict damage on the run faster than it can.

FWIW, this is my open-world power necro with no minions, lots of health and vampirics to stay alive. Due to the vampirics, It often does better when attacked by multiple mobs than by a single target:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQRAnY4Yn0ICN2gl2Au0A0uhjchaOELxUADgGIBolxa0sA-jBDBwAy0IE5IAAVZWhHAgDzAp0HUb/Bdq/cUpxElgAOJAPM9RKg8UGB-e

It's not meta/OP/ZOMG, but its affordable, very sturdy yet still outputs a good amount of damage. Necro can be frustrating when you get knocked around repeatedly due to virtually no stability, so it requires factoring that into the fight, rather than it being an exception to the fight.

HoT zones are the worst. I'll generally go there only if I have to for a daily, and then its with reluctance.

P.S. - I'm in my late 50's.