Land Of The Golden Sun: An Istan Farming Guide For Dummies!

> @"cyndelaq.7148" said:

> > @"Coyote.8391" said:

> > Thanks for the guide! Just one question though: Why do you open the unidentified gear?

>

> I open the UNIDs with as much magic find as possible because at worse you get a ton of blue and green armor/weapons which you can salvage for luck and materials like Mithril ore and Elder Wood Logs both of which are needed en masse!

>

> You also get a lot of rares and a decent amount of exotics which can either be sold for gold or salvaged for Ectos. Then there's always the slim chance of getting a precursor weapon to drop. I once got Zap, which is the precursor for Bolt, to drop from a **BLUE** UNID gear. Needless to say... I was very shocked and happy when I saw that. :P

Ohhh. Thanks for letting me know! It's kind of bittersweet. ? At least I'll know for the future now though!

@""Turkeyspit.3965"

If you have a Power Reaper or Dragonhunter, those would be good. A lot of people also bring Scourge for the AoE damage. I've also heard that Thieves with Shortbow can be really effective.

# **The main thing with tagging mobs is:**

- Knowing where the mobs will spawn

- What the highest priority monsters (champion Awakened) are

- And what abilities you can use to tag mobs quickly with are. For example, on Power Reaper:

- Axe 2

- Shroud 4/2

- GS 5/4 are all good options for tagging mobs in a hurry for one reason or another. Basically, you want to use abilities that activate fast and deal a lot of damage in as few hits as possible.

- Unless it's changed, in order to _**qualify**_ for loot on any given mob, you need to be within the 85 player tag limit. After that, you need to deal at least 5k damage to said mob(s) to get your loot. This might not sound difficult but it can be with a full map all going after the same mobs.

As for your frames issues, here's what you can do if you haven't already:

# **In Options, under User Interface:**

- Uncheck both, "Show All NPC Names", and, "Show All Player Names"

# **Under Camera:**

- Scroll, "Vertical Position Near", and, "Vertical Position Far", all the way to the right. This will zoom your camera out a bit which I find helps my eyes adjust to everything that's going on.

- Adjusting your field of view might also help.

- I also have, "Adjust camera to Character Height", turned ON

# **Under Combat/Movement:**

- You can also turn, "Disable Area of Effect Rings", ON to further reduce the amount of things your graphics card has to render.

# **In graphics settings:**

- You don't just want to set it to the lowest option for everything. I have all of my settings, except for a select few, to max and I run anywhere from 40-60 FPS in Palawadan.

- Set:

- Render Sampling to, "Native"

- Shadows to, "None"

- Shaders to, "Low"

- Post Processing to, "None"

- and Character Model Limit to, "Lowest"

- I also have Ambient Occlusion turned ON

- Best Texturing and Depth Blur turned OFF

- Vertical Sync OFF

- And most importantly, "Effect LOD", turned ON. This is one of the most important settings because this single setting limits the amount of particle effects that your graphics card has to render at any given time which greatly improves performance.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D

> @"cyndelaq.7148" said:

> @""Turkeyspit.3965"

> If you have a Power Reaper or Dragonhunter, those would be good. A lot of people also bring Scourge for the AoE damage. I've also heard that Thieves with Shortbow can be really effective.

>

> # **The main thing with tagging mobs is:**

> - Knowing where the mobs will spawn

> - What the highest priority monsters (champion Awakened) are

> - And what abilities you can use to tag mobs quickly with are. For example, on Power Reaper:

> - Axe 2

> - Shroud 4/2

> - GS 5/4 are all good options for tagging mobs in a hurry for one reason or another. Basically, you want to use abilities that activate fast and deal a lot of damage in as few hits as possible.

> - Unless it's changed, in order to _**qualify**_ for loot on any given mob, you need to be within the 85 player tag limit. After that, you need to deal at least 5k damage to said mob(s) to get your loot. This might not sound difficult but it can be with a full map all going after the same mobs.

>

> As for your frames issues, here's what you can do if you haven't already:

> # **In Options, under User Interface:**

> - Uncheck both, "Show All NPC Names", and, "Show All Player Names"

>

> # **Under Camera:**

> - Scroll, "Vertical Position Near", and, "Vertical Position Far", all the way to the right. This will zoom your camera out a bit which I find helps my eyes adjust to everything that's going on.

> - Adjusting your field of view might also help.

> - I also have, "Adjust camera to Character Height", turned ON

>

> # **Under Combat/Movement:**

> - You can also turn, "Disable Area of Effect Rings", ON to further reduce the amount of things your graphics card has to render.

>

> # **In graphics settings:**

> - You don't just want to set it to the lowest option for everything. I have all of my settings, except for a select few, to max and I run anywhere from 40-60 FPS in Palawadan.

>

> - Set:

> - Render Sampling to, "Native"

> - Shadows to, "None"

> - Shaders to, "Low"

> - Post Processing to, "None"

> - and Character Model Limit to, "Lowest"

> - I also have Ambient Occlusion turned ON

> - Best Texturing and Depth Blur turned OFF

> - Vertical Sync OFF

> - And most importantly, "Effect LOD", turned ON. This is one of the most important settings because this single setting limits the amount of particle effects that your graphics card has to render at any given time which greatly improves performance.

>

> I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D

Cheers for that! I do have a Reaper but don't really play her. I'll give my Daredevil a run this weekend as she has great mobility and I find SB is awesome at tagging, and Staff is pretty solid AoE.

> @"cyndelaq.7148" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > But being lazy i juts sell blues and greens on TP

>

> You're screwing yourself out of a lot of gold by selling them. I too once thought that selling them was the better way to go but then I started opening them all and realized the errors of my ways. By not opening them you're missing out on a lot of mithril and elder wood, and I do mean a LOT. You also get a lot of: silk, thick leather, and even some orichalcum.

>

> It might not seem like a lot, but it definitely adds up and is more profitable then selling them.

I don't even care, my 4 characters are geared full ascended with arsenal of weapons, I have 3 legendary weapons etc etc. Not going to live in this game pay rent and bills.

Selling them in Tp saves me time

clicking on them. Time that i can go have fun instead of braindead clicking. Don't let me start i had to do SW to boots mag. fing, then stand and click-click-click for about 2K times, that is my 3 hours farm bags including undi from PPs.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

definitely! The trophy shipments give you a boat-load of both T5 and T6 materials. I'm currently making HOPE and am in the process of farming Istan purely for gathering T5/T6 mats from trophy shipments. :D

>

> I have max T5 trophies as I run lots of HoT meta maps, but I'm still about 150 shy of each T6, and I'd rather not buy them off the TP. (angry enough at having to buy 100g worth of runestones lol)

If you need T6 for self, convert T5s to T6 it used to be good business but now it would benefit only for making them for own use most of the time

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion

P.S well festival of 4winds rises the price of dust, so check the outcome

@""phs.6089"

> I don't even care, my 4 characters are geared full ascended with arsenal of weapons, I have 3 legendary weapons etc etc.

I have 9 level 80s all fully geared in Ascended. My Firebrand is fully geared in legendary raid armor, legendary weapons, and the legendary trinkets that are currently available.

Istan has allowed me to craft not only that but 6 other legendary weapons. So far... I've crafted: Bolt, Frostfang, Rodgort, Meteorlogicus, Eureka, The Shining Blade, and Eternity (Twilight + Sunrise) and yet I still farm because I'm currently working on other legendaries so I don't understand your point.

> clicking on them. Time that i can go have fun instead of braindead clicking. Don't let me start i had to do SW to boots mag. fing, then stand and click-click-click for about 2K times, that is my 3 hours farm bags including undi from PPs.

Um... You don't have to click on each individual item. You can right-click a stack of items and click once on the, "Use All", button to open an entire stack of UNIDs.

> @"HardRider.2980" said:

> What IF you want to keep those materials though. Is there not something that does tropies etc and thats decent? or something that drops a lot of und kits?

If you want to keep the materials you acquire from farming Istan then keep them. Just means you won't be making as much gold as you would otherwise.

> @"cyndelaq.7148" said:

> > @"HardRider.2980" said:

> > What IF you want to keep those materials though. Is there not something that does tropies etc and thats decent? or something that drops a lot of und kits?

>

> If you want to keep the materials you acquire from farming Istan then keep them. Just means you won't be making as much gold as you would otherwise.

You won't be having to re-buy those same materials at a later time either. I think it's a win if you do, win if you don't thing.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > > You know what would make this awesome for us lazy people? A video.

> >

> > I actually prefer this. Back in my day even gameplay walkthrough guides were text only. :P Fun times... Ugh, I'm so old.

>

> Ditto. :p If I click on a post and only see a video link, I will just click away without watching almost every time. If it's text, I'll almost always read it, as long as it's not multiple pages of text.

Same! I can read faster than I can listen. That whole posted guide took what, a minute to read and comprehend? A video of a full Palawan fight and subsequent inventory management would take far longer.

It's an excellent guide. The sticking point for me is ... selling stuff. My precious precious stuff I might need some day. If my 2K mats/refined items aren't full, I ain't sellin' unless it's vital :D