Account time played question

Question about account time played (this may be a question arenanet needs to answer)

For example:

If my account has 100 hours played on it.

If, for example, my mesmer has 10 hours played.

I delete the mesmer.

Would the time played on my account go down to 90? Or would it stay at 100?

'Across all characters, you have played for XXXX over the past XXXX days'.

Curious...because I am debating on some day deleting a character (warrior) because I hate the race and I dont want to drop 10 on a new character slot. Then level up a new one with the race I want.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> The timer operates independently of the ones for each character’s. It starts the second the first character is created I believe and is based on that date/time.

So you believe it is an accumulated total of any played character on the account, regardless if Ive deleted characters

Yes, that is exactly how it works. There is a "total time played" across all characters, and than one that lists individual characters. Deleting characters does not remove the time from the total. I have 1 of each class, so 9 characters. Just after their 4th birthday, I deleted 7 of my 9 classes to fix things that were bugging me. Those rerolls only have about 50 hours played each on them, so about 350 hours combined. The 2 classes I didn't delete each have about 2000 hours on them, yet my total is still nearly 8000 hours. Hope that helps. The account timer is just a "total time played" and that time isn't lost when characters are deleted.

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> Yes, that is exactly how it works. There is a "total time played" across all characters, and than one that lists individual characters. Deleting characters does not remove the time from the total. I have 1 of each class, so 9 characters. Just after their 4th birthday, I deleted 7 of my 9 classes to fix things that were bugging me. Those rerolls only have about 50 hours played each on them, so about 350 hours combined. The 2 classes I didn't delete each have about 2000 hours on them, yet my total is still nearly 8000 hours. Hope that helps. The account timer is just a "total time played" and that time isn't lost when characters are deleted.

Fantastic thanks.

Yah...thinking of deleting and rerolling my warrior. Only issue is max level crafting profession and the many exotic/ascended recipes she has.

Or I drop 10 dollars on another slot, which I dont want to do for reasons additional to financial, and keep the well educated weaponsmith and the once a year birthday box.

This is why I wish they would make race changes a gem store purchase. I would drop 20 on it just for these reasons.

Recipes learned are account-wide, so that doesn't make any difference. Any new characters created will have 'learned' those recipes from L1 on. You will, however, lose the 500 Weaponsmith. Perhaps, that is worth $10. Especially, if you would pay twice that amount to keep the crafting discipline _and_ the recipes. (You are keeping half of that, anyway.) Plus, the birthday gifts, and storage as a mule, and/or parking at a harvesting spot/JP.

Good luck.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> Why would this matter one way or the other?

Exactly. The birthday gifts are per character, and your account anniversary never changes. Birthday gifts are the reason NOT to delete any character that's been around a while. I have a poor, lonely charr elementalist stuck on a pillar, doomed to open a chest over and over for eternity, replaced by a female human elementalist long ago.