If pvp mode were a choice, which would you choose?

Just wanted to say conquest is vastly superior to death match as positioning is even more important.

There are also complexities to conquest that allow a weaker team to win regularly because of being at the right place at the right time.

Due to the nature of this game Death match would never work for high end players as 5v5 will result in single instant deaths from stealth and the resulting 4v5 would be a guaranteed lose.

> @"JayAction.9056" said:

> Just wanted to say conquest is vastly superior to death match as positioning is even more important.

>

> There are also complexities to conquest that allow a weaker team to win regularly because of being at the right place at the right time.

>

> Due to the nature of this game Death match would never work for high end players as 5v5 will result in single instant deaths from stealth and the resulting 4v5 would be a guaranteed lose.

>

>

Hypothetical situation aside, you chose conquest. Alright.

I voted Deathmatch because I find the conquest design rather silly. There should be no "Home" nodes at all. Perfectly mirrored maps with all nodes based off the center line with one being at east, one at west and one in the middle, all the same size.

Like I have said before - A complete split from ALL other game modes needs to happen. All skills and professions need to be specifically reworked for a PvP only game. Anet needs to do a little research into other PvP games, both real world and digital, to find where these other games made flaws and eventually fixed them to have a fair and balanced competition.

I typically use Paintball as an example. There are dynamics to that game similar to what GW2 has already in pvp, such as different ranges on the weapon of choice. I couldn't imagine though any 5v5 game where there are teleporting invisible people that can do massive damage, and others that have to be right up in the others face with zero chance of defense in order to achieve the same goal. No PvP community should support such blatant imbalance.

The PvP issue IS alot of work for Anet. Maybe if they gave us an option to directly support them financially and very specifically ONLY for a PvP revamp we could come together as a community and the dev team to work it out.

Imo PvP is about skill. Deathmatch (the old courtyard) provided just that. Proper team comp, proper team strats to eliminate the other team instead of capping points or beating vets for points. Only think I would change is to change the environment around the spawn areas so you cannot spawn camp (multiple ways to go spread apart from the other one). This was the main complaint from Courtyard.

Why did you put baklava in that poll - it's too nice to refuse! xD

(in all seriousness I'd prefer siege/objective based mini-wvw skirmish maps for 10-20 players, necessitating players to spread out. So kind of like stronghold but on a larger scale with more layered objectives - ie one team is an attacker the other defends and so on).

Circlequest got boring about 3 months after launch. It's not a competitive stle map and thus it helped gw2 PvP fail esl and become a joke in the MMORPG community.

Having giant maps where 3 tiny little circles matter only. Then having a class that can pretty much cross any map in about 20 seconds. Leads to a boring lack of skill game mode. Map: l.............................................................l and part of map in circlequest that matters l...l

It's sad when gw1 PvP currently is better then the "latest and greatest" PvP.

They wasted so much time on a joke game mode that guild wars PvP won't actually be competitive again until guild wars 3 now.

> @"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:

> Imo PvP is about skill. Deathmatch (the old courtyard) provided just that. Proper team comp, proper team strats to eliminate the other team instead of capping points or beating vets for points. Only think I would change is to change the environment around the spawn areas so you cannot spawn camp (multiple ways to go spread apart from the other one). This was the main complaint from Courtyard.

The old courtyard had very little to do with skill and a LOT to do with winning a single group fight which you preferably respecced for, followed by spawncamping players who would get ported out so they couldn't even appropriately regroup / staggering their respawns.

There is no reason to "spread" as you aim for kills; so you mostly just ball up.

I'm without a doubt where if courtyard was used for RANKED, many players would end up finding it very unfun once they realise how inbalanced and unfun the gameplay is against teams that adapt to it. If you struggle with a 3 man teamfight with a FB / scourge, wait until you get 5 man teamfight stacks.

> @"Etheri.5406" said:

> > @"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:

> > Imo PvP is about skill. Deathmatch (the old courtyard) provided just that. Proper team comp, proper team strats to eliminate the other team instead of capping points or beating vets for points. Only think I would change is to change the environment around the spawn areas so you cannot spawn camp (multiple ways to go spread apart from the other one). This was the main complaint from Courtyard.

>

> The old courtyard had very little to do with skill and a LOT to do with winning a single group fight which you preferably respecced for, followed by spawncamping players who would get ported out so they couldn't even appropriately regroup / staggering their respawns.

>

> There is no reason to "spread" as you aim for kills; so you mostly just ball up.

>

> I'm without a doubt where if courtyard was used for RANKED, many players would end up finding it very unfun once they realise how inbalanced and unfun the gameplay is against teams that adapt to it. If you struggle with a 3 man teamfight with a FB / scourge, wait until you get 5 man teamfight stacks.

Back then it had a lot to do with skill. It forced you to actually work with your team, to communicate with your team every single time. It wasnt monotonous knowing in maps now someone goes home, at least 3 people go mid and 1 goes far (if 4 didnt go mid) and rotate as necessary. Gets boring imo. You rarely need to do any communication due to how ez the pvp maps are to gain points due to their additional mechanics (assuming no one AFKs or if people actually move outside spawn to contribute something)

As for spawn camping, I already touched on that in case you didnt read that part. It would be cool to have additional mechanics that helped/hindered like resettable traps, and "obstacles" like those you can put in a guild arena. Classes are going to stack regardless of game mode. This is where people need to learn to adapt to overcome, which ive been a decline of people actually willing to do over the last 4 years (another debate for another day). Too bad Anet doesnt split balance between PvE and PvP, as that would help your stacking issue bud. Too bad they don't.

If we're being serious, I'd have to say Conquest. We're all just bloody tired of it by now but in the long run, if all the modes we have tried were competitive, I think it would still likely be the best one.

On the other hand, it would be really nice to get to play something else for a change, and have good matches while at it. I occasionally do Stronghold games in unranked because I find them fun. I just wish TDM and the 2v2 arenas were there as well. I haven't even looked at the hotjoin browser in months. The rooms are mostly pretty dead anyway.

> @"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:

> > @"Etheri.5406" said:

> > > @"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:

> > > Imo PvP is about skill. Deathmatch (the old courtyard) provided just that. Proper team comp, proper team strats to eliminate the other team instead of capping points or beating vets for points. Only think I would change is to change the environment around the spawn areas so you cannot spawn camp (multiple ways to go spread apart from the other one). This was the main complaint from Courtyard.

> >

> > The old courtyard had very little to do with skill and a LOT to do with winning a single group fight which you preferably respecced for, followed by spawncamping players who would get ported out so they couldn't even appropriately regroup / staggering their respawns.

> >

> > There is no reason to "spread" as you aim for kills; so you mostly just ball up.

> >

> > I'm without a doubt where if courtyard was used for RANKED, many players would end up finding it very unfun once they realise how inbalanced and unfun the gameplay is against teams that adapt to it. If you struggle with a 3 man teamfight with a FB / scourge, wait until you get 5 man teamfight stacks.

>

> Back then it had a lot to do with skill. It forced you to actually work with your team, to communicate with your team every single time. It wasnt monotonous knowing in maps now someone goes home, at least 3 people go mid and 1 goes far (if 4 didnt go mid) and rotate as necessary. Gets boring imo. You rarely need to do any communication due to how ez the pvp maps are to gain points due to their additional mechanics (assuming no one AFKs or if people actually move outside spawn to contribute something)

>

> As for spawn camping, I already touched on that in case you didnt read that part. It would be cool to have additional mechanics that helped/hindered like resettable traps, and "obstacles" like those you can put in a guild arena. Classes are going to stack regardless of game mode. This is where people need to learn to adapt to overcome, which ive been a decline of people actually willing to do over the last 4 years (another debate for another day). Too bad Anet doesnt split balance between PvE and PvP, as that would help your stacking issue bud. Too bad they don't.

The same is true for high level conquest. And the moment your players on conquest don't feel like working as a team, you're just as screwed on conquest. I very much enjoyed brawling - but never ever did i consider it a balanced map or mode. I imagine nowadays we'd just stack teamfight-oriented meta classes + stealth. Also I remember against better group constantly restealthing with 5 players for an opener, bursting one scrub, then starting the eternal spawncamp...

I don't think GW2 small scale PvP is very good or balanced without objectives forcing players to take risks and fight "around". I do think for 10v10 / 15v15 / 20v20 deathmatches are very doable and fun. These larger scales allow for more variety in playstyles, imo.