Checkpoints in story

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue but why isn't there a checkpoint system in the story? When I am in another players instance and lag out, server disconnect, or whatever may happen there should be a way for me to either join back in or have that player exit and we go back in together. Its extremely annoying to get to the end and have to restart because of a server issue especially when one is playing on the same Wi-Fi and on high end computers. Also, whats with adding exit instance points at every battle for them to just get in the way of combat but then not include those to not be checkpoints?

They already exist, but the checkpoints are very far apart and not in places that make sense. The most recent LS episode had tyhem decently placed (long live the lich) but the earlier ones are so random they're useless. Anet is not likely to go back and fix older stuff, because Anet never bothers with old content, but hopefully they keep the improvements going for new stuff.

Anet is very inconsistent with placing checkpoints and reset nodes in their story instances. Sometime (starting with the LS chapters and HoT, not in the base game) you get them, sometimes you don't have any (like in the latest few LS chapter of season 4).

I see that as a big QoL downgrade for trying to replay the instances for the extra achievements and as a consequence of this, I have not done quite a few in PoF and LS4 .