Elementalist Patch Changes 08/28

Abelisk.4527

The change to aura detonation is quite interesting, as is the new fire trait that cleanses on gaining an aura + 2x on detonating an aura. This creates really nice synergy with powerful aura so you can now actually have decent cleanse without cleansing water. It also makes conjures (especially earth shield) way more interesting combined with the conjurer trait. Drop earth shield, get a cleanse for everyone, a block, an invuln, and some cc (with option to pick it up again later).

This also makes tempest way more interesting, as you can get cleanse with fire and now actually share your auras from overloads.

Magnetic Leap feels so much more fun to use.

I am thinking that maybe Fire/Water/Tempest could be good support/bunker (between aura cleanses + trooper runes + overloads, the healing + cleanse is nice, but only offers static shield sharing + earth overload as anti-power damage).

Other combos I want to test:

- PVP: Selfish Fire/Earth/Arcana condi or condi-hybrid build (Dagger/Focus)

- PVP: Supporty Fire/Water/Arcana (Dagger/Focus)

- PVE: Fire/Air/Tempest with D/D + Fresh air should have good damage and enough cleanse to survive

- PVE: Fire/Air/Weaver with D/D or D/F (Focus has nice amounts of cleanse due to fire shield being a focus skill).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > > @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

> > > > @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > > > Hmm, nobody is talking about the buffs to Lava Font and Eruption. Is it just me or do those seem quite nice, at least for Staff Weaver in PVE? They more than make up a bit for the recent Meteor Shower nerf. (I don't play Sword Weaver so I can't comment on those changes.)

> > >

> > > But at the same time they nerfed Elements of Rage (precision instead of ferocity). Overall, though, it should be slight dps boost.

> >

> > Oh, ffffs. I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Why'd they have to go and change that.

>

> They didn't really nerf it but moved the stats into Air traitline... Basically they want you to take Air traitline over Arcane

They added precision to EoR as permanent bonus, but removed temporary bonus when attuned to air (in both air spec and weaver spec) and changed it to ferocity.

Basically we get a bit more precision and a bit less ferocity from weaver (barely 1% crit chance/damage), but precision is permanent while ferocity requires swapping to air (which is very situational on staff build).

Meanwhile air spec got free 16% crit damage while having fury (perma in pve; minor trait as well) and 12% while attuned to air.

So in total, air/weaver gets 20% crit damage in air and 16% all the time. Power sword might be a very good pick now actually.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> So in total, air/weaver gets 20% crit damage in air and 16% all the time. Power sword might be a very good pick now actually.

With Fire for 'sustain'?

Really hard to let go of Arcana, but it seems they want us to.....

MH Dagger changes enough for Weaver yet? I want it to work bad, but I think probably not.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

> @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

>

> Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

>

> Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

>

>

Ahh, I see. I can't login yet, so thanks for that. They don't use the term detonate in the initial description of aura rework.

So, One With Fire, is super situational...

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"steki.1478" said:

>

> > So in total, air/weaver gets 20% crit damage in air and 16% all the time. Power sword might be a very good pick now actually.

>

> With Fire for 'sustain'?

> Really hard to let go of Arcana, but it seems they want us to.....

>

> MH Dagger changes enough for Weaver yet? I want it to work bad, but I think probably not.

With ferocity now located in Air, I am interested in the final verdict of whether Air will be better than Arcane now for the PVE staff Weaver. I hope not.... Arcane makes switching attunements faster and more rewarding, which is perfect for the Weaver playstyle.

Seems like kind of a mixed bag for eles either way.

> @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"steki.1478" said:

> >

> > > So in total, air/weaver gets 20% crit damage in air and 16% all the time. Power sword might be a very good pick now actually.

> >

> > With Fire for 'sustain'?

> > Really hard to let go of Arcana, but it seems they want us to.....

> >

> > MH Dagger changes enough for Weaver yet? I want it to work bad, but I think probably not.

>

> With ferocity now located in Air, I am interested in the final verdict of whether Air will be better than Arcane now for the PVE staff Weaver. I hope not.... Arcane makes switching attunements faster and more rewarding, which is perfect for the Weaver playstyle.

>

> Seems like kind of a mixed bag for eles either way.

Roul and Fennec posted some benchmarks on youtube, but apparently air staff isn't competent enough yet (for raids at least; assuming you have chaos chronos).

As for MH dagger changes - irrelevant in pve, might see some action in pvp/wvw but unlikely.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

> >

> > Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

> >

> > Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

> >

> >

>

> Ahh, I see. I can't login yet, so thanks for that. They don't use the term detonate in the initial description of aura rework.

>

> So, One With Fire, is super situational...

One with fire, now called "smothering auras" is actually SUPER STRONG with focus off-hand. Thanks to Sunspot (major-tier minor trait) you get a free fire aura every time you swap to fire (1 cleanse) and can detonate it every 10s (anther 2x cleanse) making fire + smothering auras + focus off-hand a free 3x cleanse every 10s (without any other auras anywhere else).

The reliance on water is dead.

This alone opens up SO MANY BUILDS to testing...I think its the best trait change ele has seen in a LONG TIME!!! People haven't quite caught on yet.

Fire + Earth + Focus gives you SO MUCH now:

- 3x cleanse + 2x prot on swapping to fire + another every 25s from focus 5 in fire

- Stone Heart = Immune to crits + lower CD on amazing earth focus skills

This probably works best with weaver for access to sword (which is also very defensive and promotes hybrid damage), but tempest (for more constant heals), arcana (good all around/support), and water (some decent healing options here) all worth testing too.

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> > > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

> > >

> > > Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

> > >

> > > Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Ahh, I see. I can't login yet, so thanks for that. They don't use the term detonate in the initial description of aura rework.

> >

> > So, One With Fire, is super situational...

>

> One with fire, now called "smothering auras" is actually SUPER STRONG with focus off-hand. Thanks to Sunspot (major-tier minor trait) you get a free fire aura every time you swap to fire (1 cleanse) and can detonate it every 10s (anther 2x cleanse) making fire + smothering auras + focus off-hand a free 3x cleanse every 10s (without any other auras anywhere else).

>

> The reliance on water is dead.

>

> This alone opens up SO MANY BUILDS to testing...I think its the best trait change ele has seen in a LONG TIME!!! People haven't quite caught on yet.

>

> Fire + Earth + Focus gives you SO MUCH now:

> - 3x cleanse + 2x prot on swapping to fire + another every 25s from focus 5 in fire

> - Stone Heart = Immune to crits + lower CD on amazing earth focus skills

>

> This probably works best with weaver for access to sword (which is also very defensive and promotes hybrid damage), but tempest (for more constant heals), arcana (good all around/support), and water (some decent healing options here) all worth testing too.

I get that but won't we spending to much time in one attument? Feels kinda unhealthy with so many (basically) one-shot revs around.

> @"Mr Godlike.6098" said:

> > > > @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> > > > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > > Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

> > > >

> > > > Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

> > > >

> > > > Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ahh, I see. I can't login yet, so thanks for that. They don't use the term detonate in the initial description of aura rework.

> > >

> > > So, One With Fire, is super situational...

> >

> > One with fire, now called "smothering auras" is actually SUPER STRONG with focus off-hand. Thanks to Sunspot (major-tier minor trait) you get a free fire aura every time you swap to fire (1 cleanse) and can detonate it every 10s (anther 2x cleanse) making fire + smothering auras + focus off-hand a free 3x cleanse every 10s (without any other auras anywhere else).

> >

> > The reliance on water is dead.

> >

> > This alone opens up SO MANY BUILDS to testing...I think its the best trait change ele has seen in a LONG TIME!!! People haven't quite caught on yet.

> >

> > Fire + Earth + Focus gives you SO MUCH now:

> > - 3x cleanse + 2x prot on swapping to fire + another every 25s from focus 5 in fire

> > - Stone Heart = Immune to crits + lower CD on amazing earth focus skills

> >

> > This probably works best with weaver for access to sword (which is also very defensive and promotes hybrid damage), but tempest (for more constant heals), arcana (good all around/support), and water (some decent healing options here) all worth testing too.

>

> I get that but won't we spending to much time in one attument? Feels kinda unhealthy with so many (basically) one-shot revs around.

Perhaps we can be the counter to 1-shot revs, with stone heart to survive bursts, then some nice condi damage (a fire + earth + x build should be condi) to follow up and lay down some pain (condi is their weakness)? You can't just camp earth, but if you are smart about when to go into earth you can REALLY negate a large portion of the damage then drop some of your own.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> What about a Fire/Air/Arcane core build for PvE staff, or do you still give up too much from Weaver?

Nah, Weaver is still the go-to damage line. We lost 130 ferocity and gained 130 precision from EoR, we gained some 120 ferocity and lost 120 precision from Elemental Polyphony (in air). These are pretty minor. The damage modifiers are still there and so are the dual skills. You could say weaver line was mostly changed in how it performs in solo scenarios, where you can maintain higher crit chance by yourself more consistently, thanks to the extra precision from EoR and the reduced cooldown of Superior Elements.

But staff... looks dead tbh. With all these sword buffs and considering how much simpler and more reliable it is... I just don't see any reason to play staff. Except on ranged strat Deimos for instance. Which is a pity. Sword feels bland. Fire-Fire-Air x2-repeat and press buttons on cooldown. Meh...

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"BlackBeard.2873" said:

> > > > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > > Call me ignorant, but can someone explain 'detonating auras'?

> > >

> > > Basically, the four aura weapon skills (fire shield on focus, shocking aura on MH dagger, Frost aura on OH Dagger, and Magnetic Aura on Staff) now get replaced with another skill to "detonate" the aura (i.e. give up the remaining duration and cast an extra spell). This "detonation" has its own 10s CD which is independent of the weapon skill that gives the aura. None of the other skills that give auras (tempest shouts, earth warhorn 4, etc) give you access to this detonate skill, so it is still a bit clunky.

> > >

> > > Thus, if you get a fire aura (due to a shout for instance, or by leaping through a fire shield), you can swap to fire and use focus 5 to detonate it for an extra skill. After doing that, the focus 5 slot will go back to whatever CD the "fire shield' skill had, and if it was off-CD, you could immediately pop up another fire aura. However, immediately doing so will not allow you to detonate in time as the detonate skill will be ticking its 10s counter (which you can only see while you have the aura).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Ahh, I see. I can't login yet, so thanks for that. They don't use the term detonate in the initial description of aura rework.

> >

> > So, One With Fire, is super situational...

>

> One with fire, now called "smothering auras" is actually SUPER STRONG with focus off-hand. Thanks to Sunspot (major-tier minor trait) you get a free fire aura every time you swap to fire (1 cleanse) and can detonate it every 10s (anther 2x cleanse) making fire + smothering auras + focus off-hand a free 3x cleanse every 10s (without any other auras anywhere else).

>

> The reliance on water is dead.

>

> This alone opens up SO MANY BUILDS to testing...I think its the best trait change ele has seen in a LONG TIME!!! People haven't quite caught on yet.

>

> Fire + Earth + Focus gives you SO MUCH now:

> - 3x cleanse + 2x prot on swapping to fire + another every 25s from focus 5 in fire

> - Stone Heart = Immune to crits + lower CD on amazing earth focus skills

>

> This probably works best with weaver for access to sword (which is also very defensive and promotes hybrid damage), but tempest (for more constant heals), arcana (good all around/support), and water (some decent healing options here) all worth testing too.

Need to get home and test. What you present looks nice, except it's focus dependent and if tempest traits, overloads, and utilities don't count......if they did I could see huge potential.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> Am I to understand that if I get an aura from a source other than my own weapon, when that weapon comes up the skill will be set to detonate, I can detonate then immediately reapply, but not detonate for another 10 seconds?

Exactly. So with fire traitline and focus, for instance, when in combat you will get a fire aura every time you swap to fire, and your 5 skill will have the detonate skill available. If you detonate it, or let the aura expire, it will flip back to just being the "fire shield" skill, which you can use, or not. If it has been 10s since you detonated a fire shield, that new one can be detonated. This is also true for an aura from overloading or from a shout or leap finisher or from a friend.

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > Am I to understand that if I get an aura from a source other than my own weapon, when that weapon comes up the skill will be set to detonate, I can detonate then immediately reapply, but not detonate for another 10 seconds?

>

> Exactly. So with fire traitline and focus, for instance, when in combat you will get a fire aura every time you swap to fire, and your 5 skill will have the detonate skill available. If you detonate it, or let the aura expire, it will flip back to just being the "fire shield" skill, which you can use, or not. If it has been 10s since you detonated a fire shield, that new one can be detonated. This is also true for an aura from overloading or from a shout or leap finisher or from a friend.

Seems like even more to manage, but interesting. Will test, thanks!

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > Am I to understand that if I get an aura from a source other than my own weapon, when that weapon comes up the skill will be set to detonate, I can detonate then immediately reapply, but not detonate for another 10 seconds?

> >

> > Exactly. So with fire traitline and focus, for instance, when in combat you will get a fire aura every time you swap to fire, and your 5 skill will have the detonate skill available. If you detonate it, or let the aura expire, it will flip back to just being the "fire shield" skill, which you can use, or not. If it has been 10s since you detonated a fire shield, that new one can be detonated. This is also true for an aura from overloading or from a shout or leap finisher or from a friend.

>

> Seems like even more to manage, but interesting. Will test, thanks!

Most likely will be used as "swap to fire, press 5 either immediately or after a couple skills to get a cleanse." Similarly if you have MH dagger, you will have a triple cleanse in air as well.

Basically, take fire traitline + focus and condis are no problem. If you take earth, you get lots of anti-burst (protection + stone heart). If you take Water you can share those auras for more fun. If you take Arcana, you can be bruiser/moderately supportish with the aura on-res. If you take tempest you can get lots of heals from every single aura. Air has just more frequent access to swiftness, but might I can see fresh-air taking Scepter-Focus with fire+air+arcana to get good cleanse and extra damage over previously taking water.

> @"Widmo.3186" said:

> > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > • Riptide: In PvP only, healing per level has been reduced by 24%, and healing power contribution has been reduced by 44%.

> Like with nerf some months ago, please change Riptide description to "Evade and put Water Field".Sometimes I feel like developers are some blind children smashing keyboards and hoping balance will appear like wild pokemons.Dear ANet go and check whether other classes are fine, just leave ele alone.

> > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > • Plasma Burst: Increased damage by 100%. Increased the cooldown from 12 seconds to 15 seconds. Increased casting time from 0.25 seconds to 0.75 seconds.

> Okay we got it, you desperately want us to play freshair, thank you for your effort...

>

> At least Tempest fans are having some fun today :)

>

Plasma Burst is a weaver d/d skill. It nukes now.

> @"Razor.6392" said:

> > @"Widmo.3186" said:

> > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > • Riptide: In PvP only, healing per level has been reduced by 24%, and healing power contribution has been reduced by 44%.

> > Like with nerf some months ago, please change Riptide description to "Evade and put Water Field".Sometimes I feel like developers are some blind children smashing keyboards and hoping balance will appear like wild pokemons.Dear ANet go and check whether other classes are fine, just leave ele alone.

> > > @"Abelisk.4527" said:

> > > • Plasma Burst: Increased damage by 100%. Increased the cooldown from 12 seconds to 15 seconds. Increased casting time from 0.25 seconds to 0.75 seconds.

> > Okay we got it, you desperately want us to play freshair, thank you for your effort...

> >

> > At least Tempest fans are having some fun today :)

> >

>

> Plasma Burst is a weaver d/d skill. It nukes now.

>

with menders and 25 stacks of might it's something 5k

edit: corretion IF IT CRIT'S

Really sad that they removed the might on auras. It was a good trait for fire.

That condi cleanse on aura burst should have gone to another line, tempest most likely.

The buff to air crit dmg might make the hybrid sword weaver a good pick.

Air/fire/weaver: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAsYncMAF5iNNAGNA0RgFBALIAUAOACXyLQK4eVHrv1A-j1hAQBSVPAXV/xsK/GwJAAAPAAds/waVCSKAeWGB-w

Was already really good on pugs where boons were not very well covered.

> @"steki.1478" said:

> > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > > @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > > > @"Critical Lag.9075" said:

> > > > > @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > > > > Hmm, nobody is talking about the buffs to Lava Font and Eruption. Is it just me or do those seem quite nice, at least for Staff Weaver in PVE? They more than make up a bit for the recent Meteor Shower nerf. (I don't play Sword Weaver so I can't comment on those changes.)

> > > >

> > > > But at the same time they nerfed Elements of Rage (precision instead of ferocity). Overall, though, it should be slight dps boost.

> > >

> > > Oh, ffffs. I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Why'd they have to go and change that.

> >

> > They didn't really nerf it but moved the stats into Air traitline... Basically they want you to take Air traitline over Arcane

>

> They added precision to EoR as permanent bonus, but removed temporary bonus when attuned to air (in both air spec and weaver spec) and changed it to ferocity.

>

> Basically we get a bit more precision and a bit less ferocity from weaver (barely 1% crit chance/damage), but precision is permanent while ferocity requires swapping to air (which is very situational on staff build).

>

> Meanwhile air spec got free 16% crit damage while having fury (perma in pve; minor trait as well) and 12% while attuned to air.

>

> So in total, air/weaver gets 20% crit damage in air and 16% all the time. Power sword might be a very good pick now actually.

Staff weaver got a net 20% crit damage nerf. Every single rotation, pve, wvw, etc.. dual attunes to fire to cast font and meteor. By doing so you lose 20% crit damage directly off the top.

Changing EoR from ferocity to precision was useless because with fury you were crit chance capped anyways. Now more so.

Having to use Aeromancers training over tempest defense for the ferocity loss from EoR means you now also lose an extra 10% damage buff.

How you think this wasn't a shadow nerf is beyond me.

I still think that this patch was a joke regarding that people asked for/suggested and what they got, not really surprised that some of the people are mad because of this... I mean they even made a specific thread so people can suggest things there, and what the devs did? Seems(i said SEEMS) like they ignored it as a whole, or most of its content. The whole change to even daggers is more like a PvP change and not PvE, weaver and the whole ele base had its problems in all 3 game types, now with this, ele still has the same problems as before but got a 10% damage buff to Lava Font as if that would solve ANYTHING...

Atleast i would ask for one thing from the devs and especially the balance team: When making the patch notes tell us why did that skill/trait changed because i just wanna know it and not sit here dumbly looking at the screen and thinking what was their goal with the changes, like what was the goal with EoR change? I looked at it multiple times still dont get why its there... I mean do something that really changes something in the class and not just so everyone can say "Ah guys we tried to change..." or if you dont know what to do with it you have 3 more months to the next patch you have time to figure it out... Pointless change of things is making the already broken(broken cuz its like useless now) more worst