Limited time only items

Limited time only items. I am not sure why anet has limited time only items. i was excited when volatile gathering tools became available. i was looking forward to it. i was ready to buy. when they came out, i was broke.

now, i am ready to buy again, and they are not available. there are a few other things i want to buy on the trading post. but, nooooooo. not available! what's the deal?

are you sure this is a good business model?

This business model has proven successful for literally the entire history of market commerce. "Get your hotcakes now! Last chance!" Artificial scarcity works, because people tend to be impatient.

My advice: put some coin or cash into gems whenever you can afford it. Store it up and don't spend it on impulse. Always wait before pushing the purchase button.

That way, when there's a discount or something you really want, you'll have the gems and won't have to worry about ANet's schedule.

Was about to post the exact same thing in response. Haha. Beat me to it.

I was actually going to buy those same gathering tools but held off to save my gems for some more bag slots and/or keys.... guess what? Key sale and then bag slot sale. I’d converted some gold over time when the conversion was at a low point and spent a little real cash on a small top-up as well. Then held off till something I REALLY wanted was on sale.

But generally the ‘limited time’ sales work wonders for any business. They generate a lot of impulse buys from people who a) don’t plan ahead and b) get sucked into the ‘fear of missing out’ mentality. Lesson is, plan ahead and use a little self-control.

> @"vladamirlutrova.4215" said:

> Was about to post the exact same thing in response. Haha. Beat me to it.

> I was actually going to buy those same gathering tools but held off to save my gems for some more bag slots and/or keys.... guess what? Key sale and then bag slot sale. I’d converted some gold over time when the conversion was at a low point and spent a little real cash on a small top-up as well. Then held off till something I REALLY wanted was on sale.

>

> But generally the ‘limited time’ sales work wonders for any business. They generate a lot of impulse buys from people who a) don’t plan ahead and b) get sucked into the ‘fear of missing out’ mentality. Lesson is, plan ahead and use a little self-control.

They also help with people like me who tend to think "I like that, I'll probably buy it one day" but for whatever reason don't do it immediately and then can easily go on intending to buy it 'one day' without ever actually doing it. If it's only available for a short time you need to get on and make a decision. Not all those people will buy it, but it's more sales than they'd get if no one had to make their mind up.

It is annoying, especially when you want to buy something which isn't currently available, but it does also work as a business model, which is why so many companies do it.

(At least Anet are better than my other MMO, where items will be available for a short time, then removed, then if you're lucky they might be added to their equivalent of Black Lion Chests a year later, if you're unlucky they will never be sold again.)

Also, bear in mind that "limited time" sales generally reappear after a long-ish absence from the store. The unlimited unbound magic tools reappeared some time ago, and seasonal sales (such as the current anniversary sale) frequently have discounts on some of those items that have been missing for a while -- i.e. the 2000 gem mount skins. Just wait. I'd wager they'll be back. Couple that with the advice given above to save up gems for the ones you really want, and you should be okay.