Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

> @"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > Wow. What a fubar situation. Epic fail.

> > > [...]

> > > *Sweepstakes and APP PROMOTION limited to US CUSTOMERS only.

> >

> > I thought so from the start, because it makes zero sense to give away free stuff to people who will never be able to become your paying customers. ;)

>

> I thought making the app promotion worldwide was a way to appease non-US players and prevent complains before they even start. I thought it was a smart move for ANet and possibly a condition for agreeing to the promotion in the first place.

That's how I read the situation too:

* Explicitly stating that the sweepstake is US only and none such wording for the DLC giveaways.

* Advertising the promotion in the EU, translated into multiple languages.

* Actually awarding non-US based players with codes.

How else can it be interpreted other than: Deluxe Edition sweepstake for the US, Heroic Edition and Outfit for everyone? Does it make sense for Kung Fu Tea to market to non US-based people? Perhaps not. But the set-up I listed above makes eminent sense for ANet, the second party in the promotion, which is why I believe the retcon by KFT is just an attempt to reduce server load by a huge margin.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> Anet can still make this right, and I sure hope they do. You know what's worse than seeing a handful of people wearing something you can never get? Seeing more people wearing something you can never get because of where you live, after wasting 3 days being told you *could* get it.

I don't see how they can fix it other than removing the limitations to the free accounts in the next future. The point is not the outfit itself (or at least, not for me, idc). It's giving for free the core edition only to some people. I could have passed the code to some of my friends. Even in my guild there are active players with a free account. The outfit is a bonus, the heroic edition costs money.

> @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > I thought so from the start, because it makes zero sense to give away free stuff to people who will never be able to become your paying customers. ;)

> Well, giving away free stuff (in case of the outfit: Which you can't even buy on the gemstore and thus would not generate income anyway, so why not just hand it to them?

I was talking about customers visiting their stores and buying _their_ products, not GW related stuff. 'Cause that's the whole point of doing such cross-promotional stuff: luring potential future customers into your stores.

> surely wouldn't hurt as much as angering and perhaps losing lots of non-US players does.

KFT <> ANet

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Plautze.6290" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > I thought so from the start, because it makes zero sense to give away free stuff to people who will never be able to become your paying customers. ;)

> > Well, giving away free stuff (in case of the outfit: Which you can't even buy on the gemstore and thus would not generate income anyway, so why not just hand it to them?

>

> I was talking about customers visiting their stores and buying _their_ products, not GW related stuff. 'Cause that's the whole point of doing such cross-promotional stuff: luring potential future customers into their stores.

>

> > surely wouldn't hurt as much as angering and perhaps losing lots of non-US players does.

>

> KFT <> ANet

>

There are two partners in this promotion, having different interests.

Just because an aspect of the promotion isn't helpful to one of them, it can be to the other party. It may make zero sense to give away stuff to people who will never be paying KFT customers, but the stuff that's being given away isn't theirs, it's ArenaNet's. And it makes zero sense for ArenaNet to aggravate over half their community by excluding them.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> There are two partners in this promotion, having different interests.

Why are you telling me this? I know that. Please follow the whole chain of my argumentation. I said that it was clear to me that this was "U.S. citizens only" from the start, because otherwise it would make no sense on KFT's end (for they don't have customers in, let's say, Europe, hence they cannot make money of those - so why would they give _them_ free stuff?).

> Why are you telling me this? I know that. Please follow the whole chain of my argumentation. I said that it was clear to me that this was "U.S. citizens only" from the start, because otherwise it would make no sense on KFT's end (for they don't have customers in, let's say, Europe, hence they cannot make money of those - so why would they give _them_ free stuff?).

KFT are not, in fact, giving away free stuff. They want you to buy something in order to have the tiny chance of winning GW2 stuff. No free stuff given.

Thus, only ANet is giving away free stuff in an unfair fashion as non-US gamers are left out. Nobody cares about KFT as there are more than enough bubble tea companies but just one company offering GW2. If KFT pulls a kitten stunt, nobody remembers it. If ANet does the same, that could mean significant damage.

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > There are two partners in this promotion, having different interests.

>

> Why are you telling me this? I know that. Please follow the whole chain of my argumentation. I said that it was clear to me that this was "U.S. citizens only" from the start, because otherwise it would make no sense on KFT's end (for they don't have customers in, let's say, Europe, hence they cannot make money of those - so why would they give _them_ free stuff?).

I repeat (maybe you should follow your own advice and actually read) : KFT hasn't been giving anything away to non-US people. The things being given away are (were) **ANet**'s. Handing out the DLC codes worldwide is ANet's benefit in the promotion.

Why would KFT be the only one to benefit from a cross-promotion? And **obviously** it was intended to be a global thing. All evidence points to that, and nothing contradicts it, except in your perception that ANet would somehow enter into a deal that hurts them, for whatever reason you think they would.

I'm really disappointed, angry and sad to Anet. I know some people will say that is not "totally" their fault, but for me it is as they r still responsible of that.

I've been trying since the 1st hour the promo was released, hours and hours trying and the same thing the next days. In their terms there is nothing about US only for the outfit/heroic rewards. Everybody kept saying on forum it was for EU too and @"Gaile Gray.6029" did read our comments and she didn't say "guys this is only for US". So they can't say it was a "mistake".

They can't just change it after 5 days of promo when they got already all our data. That's totally a scam and I rly think is not event legal in the EU, so I hope that Anet do something about it, apologize and tell them to make the promo worldwise as it was before. Funny thing is that I can see on the app the promo about the drink (that is supposed to be US only) plus other $1 discount ones.

If this is their way to "fix" it, I consider it a really bad move. As EU citizen I feel left aside by Anet for letting KFT do this to their EU playerbase.

Well then... this KFT promotion has left a really sour taste for the end of their Anniversary Sales. I splurged on the Gem Store, even had to submit a ticket coz I was unable to buy gems, got that fixed very quickly thank you support, but now I kind of wish support was slow on the fix lol. KFT really killed the mood for me, Fashion Wars, where shiny stuff is the true end game XD

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > There are two partners in this promotion, having different interests.

>

It does make sense if ANet set it as a condition for participating in the promotion. And for ANet it does make sense to set this condition in order not to aggravate their non-US players. KFT is the one handing out ANet's codes. Therefore both companies have a say in who the target audience is.

Therefore it was NOT clear that this was a US only promotion. In fact it seemed to be clear that ANet pressured KFT into making the promotion worldwide in order to treat their non-US players fairly.

> @"NoNameNoob.9758" said:

> Never gonna Spend Money Again in this game!

> This is absurd i connected all Accounts Provide them with My Data and get Nothing in return.

> You Cant do that an Anet Needs to fix The Problem and give The outfit to EU also!

>

> Of Not im gonna quit gw2

> Im really pissed about this

Feeling the same here, yet the tiny hope remains that ANet will sort this out.

Surely, we'll be laughing about this in the future while we are all dancing in our GW2 emblem outfits and profane armors.

Also anet is NOT the only one giving away free things. I have a coupon for a free tea in my account just for posting a picture and we fully intend on taking them up on it.

Of course getting the free stuff from anet would be nice too. I did get a response from level up promotions...my complaint has been escalated. We will see how that goes.

Something went wrong here, obviously... As someone who tried to get the outfit but couldn't due to app and/or server issues, finding out I'm not even entitled to get it anyway because I'm not from US its a bit disappointing.

But before bitching and threatening i prefer to wait for ANet's official answer to this whole "Drama".

I still have the faith that they will find a solution for us, non-US players.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> Also anet is NOT the only one giving away free things. I have a coupon for a free tea in my account just for posting a picture and we fully intend on taking them up on it.

>

> Of course getting the free stuff from anet would be nice too. I did get a response from level up promotions...my complaint has been escalated. We will see how that goes.

I wouldn't call granting KTF full access to all my data by linking them to my social media account exactly 'free' but that might just be me...

The value of 'data' is hard to estimate, but we can safely assume that KTF is not losing out on this one.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> I'm waiting for an ANet response before going berserk. But if I don't like that response, I'm going to do everything I can that doesn't involve more than clicking in a web browser for a bit and perhaps even writing a few words, to bring these evil people to justice. Raaaaaahhhh!

Lol'd.

Can my family and I use our promo codes without fear of having our account (which we have had since launch)banned? We received the codes by linking our own social media, just as requested by the promo rules. It doesnt seem fair that bans are being handed out and people are afraid of claiming a reward that is being offered. I think that players should get an update on this.