[Suggestion] LS2 should be free

xiiliea.9356

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > >

> > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > >

> > > Everyone pays for access to LS chapters.

> > >

> > > Anet accepts two forms of payment.

> > > 1) Time. One can pay with time either by logging in during the release period for a given chapter or by converting gold earned in game into gems.

> > >

> > > 2) Real money. Self explanatory.

> > >

> > > The choice of how to pay belongs to the player.

> >

> > No, there is a third and that's the issue...being there at the moment it's released. And that's the one that makes it a strange situation. If you happen to be there, whether you just log in and out again or actually play, you get it for free. If you weren't there because you're a newer player or you took a break for whatever reason, then you get penalized.

> >

> > If there were only the two options you suggest and they would apply to everybody equally, then you will get no complaints from me about it. However, as I demonstrated, that is not the complete picture.

> >

>

> That "third" option you mention is one of my two described options (number one in fact). Taking the time to log in during a chapter's initial release period. This is paying for it with time. Of course a given player may choose to forgo that option.

Well there is a clear difference between logging in once and spending time in game to earn the gold to buy it afterwards. Putting those two together makes no sense especially when you're talking about someone new to the game.

So I definitely see it as a third option. Also because I don't have an issue with paying for content and getting a choice and earning gold for it or paying with real cash, but I do have an issue that logging in on a given day can replace that. That option is not there for people who are new to the game.

As I said though I do not expect ArenaNet to change this but I do think the complaint is valid. I just wouldn't advise anyone to complain about this expecting a change. It's not bad, however, that ArenaNet does hear the complaint. It can make a difference in future approaches. You never know after all.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > > >

> > > > Everyone pays for access to LS chapters.

> > > >

> > > > Anet accepts two forms of payment.

> > > > 1) Time. One can pay with time either by logging in during the release period for a given chapter or by converting gold earned in game into gems.

> > > >

> > > > 2) Real money. Self explanatory.

> > > >

> > > > The choice of how to pay belongs to the player.

> > >

> > > No, there is a third and that's the issue...being there at the moment it's released. And that's the one that makes it a strange situation. If you happen to be there, whether you just log in and out again or actually play, you get it for free. If you weren't there because you're a newer player or you took a break for whatever reason, then you get penalized.

> > >

> > > If there were only the two options you suggest and they would apply to everybody equally, then you will get no complaints from me about it. However, as I demonstrated, that is not the complete picture.

> > >

> >

> > That "third" option you mention is one of my two described options (number one in fact). Taking the time to log in during a chapter's initial release period. This is paying for it with time. Of course a given player may choose to forgo that option.

>

> Well there is a clear difference between logging in once and spending time in game to earn the gold to buy it afterwards. Putting those two together makes no sense especially when you're talking about someone new to the game.

>

> So I definitely see it as a third option. Also because I don't have an issue with paying for content and getting a choice and earning gold for it or paying with real cash, but I do have an issue that logging in on a given day can replace that. That option is not there for people who are new to the game.

>

> As I said though I do not expect ArenaNet to change this but I do think the complaint is valid. I just wouldn't advise anyone to complain about this expecting a change. It's not bad, however, that ArenaNet does hear the complaint. It can make a difference in future approaches. You never know after all.

>

That option was there for everyone. Some choices negated it for some players. The time, for me for example, logging in to unlock a chapter, can exceed the cost of paying for it with real money ot gold.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > > > >

> > > > > Everyone pays for access to LS chapters.

> > > > >

> > > > > Anet accepts two forms of payment.

> > > > > 1) Time. One can pay with time either by logging in during the release period for a given chapter or by converting gold earned in game into gems.

> > > > >

> > > > > 2) Real money. Self explanatory.

> > > > >

> > > > > The choice of how to pay belongs to the player.

> > > >

> > > > No, there is a third and that's the issue...being there at the moment it's released. And that's the one that makes it a strange situation. If you happen to be there, whether you just log in and out again or actually play, you get it for free. If you weren't there because you're a newer player or you took a break for whatever reason, then you get penalized.

> > > >

> > > > If there were only the two options you suggest and they would apply to everybody equally, then you will get no complaints from me about it. However, as I demonstrated, that is not the complete picture.

> > > >

> > >

> > > That "third" option you mention is one of my two described options (number one in fact). Taking the time to log in during a chapter's initial release period. This is paying for it with time. Of course a given player may choose to forgo that option.

> >

> > Well there is a clear difference between logging in once and spending time in game to earn the gold to buy it afterwards. Putting those two together makes no sense especially when you're talking about someone new to the game.

> >

> > So I definitely see it as a third option. Also because I don't have an issue with paying for content and getting a choice and earning gold for it or paying with real cash, but I do have an issue that logging in on a given day can replace that. That option is not there for people who are new to the game.

> >

> > As I said though I do not expect ArenaNet to change this but I do think the complaint is valid. I just wouldn't advise anyone to complain about this expecting a change. It's not bad, however, that ArenaNet does hear the complaint. It can make a difference in future approaches. You never know after all.

> >

>

> That option was there for everyone. Some choices negated it for some players. The time, for me for example, logging in to unlock a chapter, can exceed the cost of paying for it with real money ot gold.

Not knowing about a game till later is not a choice. Being hospitalized for a while and not having access to the game isn't a choice general but that aside, it's still not the same as spending time in game getting the gold together while playing the game. So even though they are both related to time, it's in very different ways and deserve a distinction in my view. Especially since one part of it I don't mind and the other I do. So clearly, I can't put it on the same heap as you do.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"Lonami.2987" said:

> > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > >

> > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > >

> > > This, I can't understand why everyone gets it for free, but latecomers don't.

> > >

> > > **Either everyone pays, or no one does.**

> >

> > I know reality likes to be romanticized, but the world isn't fair. Business model behind LW is to encourage regular players to log in more often and to milk latecomers.

>

> I agree that the world or life isn't fair. That doesn't make the complaint any less valid however. Personally I chose to pay for them after all but I still find it strange that buying the core game and both expansions do not give you all the zones...you know, like in GW1.

Google Bonus Mission Pack.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > @"Lonami.2987" said:

> > > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > > >

> > > > This, I can't understand why everyone gets it for free, but latecomers don't.

> > > >

> > > > **Either everyone pays, or no one does.**

> > >

> > > I know reality likes to be romanticized, but the world isn't fair. Business model behind LW is to encourage regular players to log in more often and to milk latecomers.

> >

> > I agree that the world or life isn't fair. That doesn't make the complaint any less valid however. Personally I chose to pay for them after all but I still find it strange that buying the core game and both expansions do not give you all the zones...you know, like in GW1.

>

> Google Bonus Mission Pack.

>

Well there was that one exception once. You are right on that aspect, however, it's very thin. It was a one time thing and it was clearly a payable dlc by direct purchase or for a limited time thrown in as a bonus when spending 30 bucks or more in the cash shop. So nobody got that without spending real cash and so it this is a much fairer deal. Plus it was only a bit of history in 4 missions. So they weren't explorable zones, just story instances as far as I remember and had no bearing on the main story or progression in the game as it was just a historical add on where you don't even play your own character.

So you have a small point but it's still not comparable to the amount of content the LS chapters give especially since LS3.

Giving something away for free or a reduced price for a limited time is a common marketing instrument. Steam, GOG, Uplay, Humble Bundle all do it, Blizzard does it. And it is not limited to the games industry. When steam gives away a game for free for a week and people miss it, are they "penalized" for not getting it in the week when it was free? When your favorite car manufacturer sells a special model for a reduced price, is everyone who does not need to buy a car at that moment "penalized" when he buys the car later and the special model is no longer available? When a store opens and has a super sale with reduced prices, is every customer henceforce "penalized" because he has to pay the normal price because he was not there on opening day to get it cheaper?

Nobody is being penalized here. The intention is most likely to keep existing players logging in and having the game installed. Yes, some might take a break and only log in once to get the story for free and then log out again. It still serves its purpose. They will now have gotten something for free and will feel like they miss out on not playing it, now that they already have it. If they temporarily uninstalled it because of taking a break, or maybe bought a new machine, they will now have it on their PC again. The whole thing screams "loyalty business model" or simply "customer retention".

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > > @"Lonami.2987" said:

> > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > > > >

> > > > > This, I can't understand why everyone gets it for free, but latecomers don't.

> > > > >

> > > > > **Either everyone pays, or no one does.**

> > > >

> > > > I know reality likes to be romanticized, but the world isn't fair. Business model behind LW is to encourage regular players to log in more often and to milk latecomers.

> > >

> > > I agree that the world or life isn't fair. That doesn't make the complaint any less valid however. Personally I chose to pay for them after all but I still find it strange that buying the core game and both expansions do not give you all the zones...you know, like in GW1.

> >

> > Google Bonus Mission Pack.

> >

>

> Well there was that one exception once. You are right on that aspect, however, it's very thin. It was a one time thing and it was clearly a payable dlc by direct purchase or for a limited time thrown in as a bonus when spending 30 bucks or more in the cash shop. So nobody got that without spending real cash and so it this is a much fairer deal. Plus it was only a bit of history in 4 missions. So they weren't explorable zones, just story instances as far as I remember and had no bearing on the main story or progression in the game as it was just a historical add on where you don't even play your own character.

>

> So you have a small point but it's still not comparable to the amount of content the LS chapters give especially since LS3.

It was a 1-time thing because the company progressed to gw2.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > > > I think LS should be free for everybody and not just older player players who were here at the right time. I find that a strange criterion.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > However, the main issue for me with LS2 is that it actually has a lot less value to it than LS3 and 4 chapters that actually give you new zones where you can earn ascended trinkets. Now that I played through LS2 (after begrudgingly paying for it), I found it wasn't worth it. LS3 at least gave me a fair value. It just irks me that some players get it for free and others don't.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Everyone pays for access to LS chapters.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Anet accepts two forms of payment.

> > > > > > 1) Time. One can pay with time either by logging in during the release period for a given chapter or by converting gold earned in game into gems.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 2) Real money. Self explanatory.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The choice of how to pay belongs to the player.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, there is a third and that's the issue...being there at the moment it's released. And that's the one that makes it a strange situation. If you happen to be there, whether you just log in and out again or actually play, you get it for free. If you weren't there because you're a newer player or you took a break for whatever reason, then you get penalized.

> > > > >

> > > > > If there were only the two options you suggest and they would apply to everybody equally, then you will get no complaints from me about it. However, as I demonstrated, that is not the complete picture.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That "third" option you mention is one of my two described options (number one in fact). Taking the time to log in during a chapter's initial release period. This is paying for it with time. Of course a given player may choose to forgo that option.

> > >

> > > Well there is a clear difference between logging in once and spending time in game to earn the gold to buy it afterwards. Putting those two together makes no sense especially when you're talking about someone new to the game.

> > >

> > > So I definitely see it as a third option. Also because I don't have an issue with paying for content and getting a choice and earning gold for it or paying with real cash, but I do have an issue that logging in on a given day can replace that. That option is not there for people who are new to the game.

> > >

> > > As I said though I do not expect ArenaNet to change this but I do think the complaint is valid. I just wouldn't advise anyone to complain about this expecting a change. It's not bad, however, that ArenaNet does hear the complaint. It can make a difference in future approaches. You never know after all.

> > >

> >

> > That option was there for everyone. Some choices negated it for some players. The time, for me for example, logging in to unlock a chapter, can exceed the cost of paying for it with real money ot gold.

>

> Not knowing about a game till later is not a choice. Being hospitalized for a while and not having access to the game isn't a choice general but that aside, it's still not the same as spending time in game getting the gold together while playing the game. So even though they are both related to time, it's in very different ways and deserve a distinction in my view. Especially since one part of it I don't mind and the other I do. So clearly, I can't put it on the same heap as you do.

>

>

Agree to disagree then. I paid (one of) the advertised currency for the chapters. If I hadnt I would have needed to pay the other if I desired the product.