Moving from NA to EU, what are the differences?

Archangel.6578

Hi all, I am coming back from the game after a long time. I used to play at NA server, but now I live in the UK. The prime time to play in NA is a bit late for me, so I'm considering transferring to EU.

Is there any difference between prime time to play (PvE only, I don't WvW or PvP), and attitude towards the game? Which is a better server to re-learn the game, raids etc?

Thanks!

If you're in the UK then EU prime time will almost certainly be more convenient for you. It starts about 4-5pm UK time (it's early because we're at the latter end of the EU time zones) and runs to about midnight, which I think is about the start of NA prime time.

Other than that I don't think there's any big differences between the two. My main account is EU and my alt account is NA and I haven't noticed anything really different. People will talk about different TV shows and politics of course (there was a big discussion about Brexit in LA just after the referendum - surprisingly civil too - and I doubt that was going on over on the NA servers) but that's about it.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> The main difference I've seen so far (one account on each), is that NA is much more talkative in mapchat, where EU often times feels like a ghost town compared. On the other hand, the conversations I've seen/participated in in EU tend to be nicer (generally cleaner, less trolls, less drama, and less "Do this for me!")

Depends on time zone and more importantly language. Whilst in NA, the predominate speaking language is English, so you'll find more ppl talking in map chat.

Color becomes colour

Fall becomes autumn

‘I speak english’ becomes ‘oui de la francais, oui no speak englishes’

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> The main difference I've seen so far (one account on each), is that NA is much more talkative in mapchat, where EU often times feels like a ghost town compared. On the other hand, the conversations I've seen/participated in in EU tend to be nicer (generally cleaner, less trolls, less drama, and less "Do this for me!")

Agreed, I never get a response when I’m bored and try to start a conversation in chat.

I have become convinced that many europeans have their chat turnt off :(

> @"CalamityO.2890" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > The main difference I've seen so far (one account on each), is that NA is much more talkative in mapchat, where EU often times feels like a ghost town compared. On the other hand, the conversations I've seen/participated in in EU tend to be nicer (generally cleaner, less trolls, less drama, and less "Do this for me!")

>

> Depends on time zone and more importantly language. Whilst in NA, the predominate speaking language is English, so you'll find more ppl talking in map chat.

Because of varied work hours, I've played a bit over pretty much all time zones and not noticed much difference. I do agree about language, it might be easier for many to just keep chats in their guilds to get a language they prefer ?

Just find it fascinating.

I think at least some people on EU are more likely to whisper a specific person, or join a squad and then talk to them rather than just chatting in map chat. Although I'm the opposite - I'll just chuck my random thoughts into the void and wait to see what happens. Which is weird because in real life I'm very much the opposite.

It might well be a language thing. My main character is called Danielle Aurorel which (somewhat unintentionally) apparently looks like a French name and every so often someone will see me writing in English and whisper me in French to ask if I can translate something or pass on a question, or if I want to join a bilingual guild. Unfortunately my French is just good enough that I can work out what they're asking, and bad enough that I can't answer with much more than "Je suis desole, je suis anglais et je ne parle pas francais".