Suggestion: Essence of Luck Converter

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > Or remove luck and return luck gear. That was fun while it lasted.

>

> No thank you to that. (Unless you were kidding - I couldn't tell.) Agreed having some kind of additional use for luck (or raising the cap) would be great.

I wasn't kidding. Luck gear is interesting mechanic. Do you stick to full berserker crushing everything or throw some luck pieces for better loot.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > Or remove luck and return luck gear. That was fun while it lasted.

> >

> > No thank you to that. (Unless you were kidding - I couldn't tell.) Agreed having some kind of additional use for luck (or raising the cap) would be great.

>

> I wasn't kidding. Luck gear is interesting mechanic. Do you stick to full berserker crushing everything or throw some luck pieces for better loot.

Considering magic find doesn't do all that much, and certainly doesn't compare with gear that lets you crush everything quickly, I have to believe you're asking a rhetorical question.

Update: my wallet is pleased to have been proven wrong. The 2019 Lunar New Year patch allows us to trade 1000 points of luck to Drooburt for 8 lanterns. It's not much, but it's better than sucking up inventory space.

(I should also say that ANet's concern about people who haven't yet maxed Magic Find remains valid. My friends who haven't have been worried that they must choose between gold & AP and boosting account MF. Not the end of the world, but not nothing to them.)

It's unlikely to happen, even though ANet is aware that people are swimming in essences of luck. MF already has a profound dampening effect on the markets and lots of people (even many veterans) run around with less than max MF. Providing a substantive sink benefits those who already maxed, at the expense of those who have not. It would put pressure on the have-nots to push MF up, without affecting the demand from those who already maxed.

That said, I'd very much like ANet to provide temporary relief, while they sort things through. I propose they introduce a new, ascended tier of luck essences.

* Convert the existing 'legendary' tier into 'ascended', and leave it as equal to 500 units.

* Add a new 'legendary' tier and set it as equal to 25000 units.

* Add recipes to convert exotics to 'ascended' (formerly legendary), and 'ascended' to (the new) 'legendary'.

One (new) legendary essence would thus cover a stack of existing exotic essences.

This doesn't change anything in the game, except provide an option to hoard until ANet decides whether and how to deal with excess luck.

The original system was defined to a couple of specific things, within a couple of specific limitations:

* Transfer _Magic Find_ from a gear-specific stat into an account stat.

* Increase the demand for fine & masterwork gear.

* Give veterans an incentive to spend more on fine/masterwork, which benefits newer players.

* Give a mild bonus to those who have played more/longer, without feeling as if it's a penalty for those who don't.

All of that worked for a long time, until a couple of things happened:

* A lot of people spent extra to maximize luck-based Magic Find.

* Unidentified Gear, which (as a foe-dropping-loot substitute) is greatly affected by MF.

* Frequently-repeatable farms with high amounts of loot drops, especially AB Multi-Loot (historical) and Istan (current). (Silverwastes is relatively less significant because the total value of its loot is less dependent on MF.)

So _some_ players now have max MF and some (even many Head Start veterans) don't. Providing a meaningful luck sink would increase pressure to max, instead of leaving it as an option with some fringe benefits. And providing a time-gated or insubstantial sink doesn't really help people deal with the massive amount of essences high-salvage accounts deal with.

##### See also

* https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38209/after-300-mf-what-to-do-with-luck

* https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35678/suggestion-request-excess-luck

* https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/14294/essence-of-luck-after-you-reach-300/p1

(among many other threads on the topic)

> @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > > > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > > Or remove luck and return luck gear. That was fun while it lasted.

> > >

> > > No thank you to that. (Unless you were kidding - I couldn't tell.) Agreed having some kind of additional use for luck (or raising the cap) would be great.

> >

> > I wasn't kidding. Luck gear is interesting mechanic. Do you stick to full berserker crushing everything or throw some luck pieces for better loot.

>

> Considering magic find doesn't do all that much, and certainly doesn't compare with gear that lets you crush everything quickly, I have to believe you're asking a rhetorical question.

Well if they move it back to the gear, then magic find might get a big boost. Given that all other sources of magic find are removed.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> It's unlikely to happen, even though ANet is aware that people are swimming in essences of luck. MF already has a profound dampening effect on the markets and lots of people (even many veterans) run around with less than max MF. Providing a substantive sink benefits those who already maxed, at the expense of those who have not. It would put pressure on the have-nots to push MF up, without affecting the demand from those who already maxed.

How about this: Rather than making luck exchangeable, allow players to opt to trade Magic Find % points in exchange for karma or laurels. Then they have to climb back up using luck again. This would largely bypass any concern that those with un-maxed luck are somehow being short-shrifted, as they too could exchange a % for a benefit at the same rate, and have less ground to make up using their luck.

> @"PlagueParade.7942" said:

> So those with excess Essence of Luck tend not to have much to do with it but consume, delete, or save it for some hope of the future. Why not make an Essence of Luck Converter that exchanges it for:

>

> EXP Tab: Central exp, HoT exp, or PoF exp (to choose from)

> or

> Karma Tab: Essence of Luck for karma

>

Could also convert to Unbound / Volatile magic? Make something useless useful? I'm only at 190% MF though, so I still have a ways to go before this is a problem for me lol

• 4 months later...

You're forgetting that a converter would allow you to convert a limited amount of Luck every day. Which would probably be less than you earn. A special vendor could be added instead, who can sell exclusive items and skins, magic find boosters (after all that's what Luck is meant to be used for; to increase Magic Find %) in exchange of Luck Essences. Doobrut was a... temporary and poor solution. You get some silver for donating 5 exotic essences, requiring immense amounts of clicking to even get something decent from it (5g++).

Upgrading essences to ascended and legendary tier is also a helpful, yet still temporary solution.