Novelties button... really??!

Rakath.4579

I really don't like that novelty button, particularly the placement of it. I also wish to have the option to disable it. I think it goes without saying that the skill buttons and mount button are pretty essential in general gameplay but novelties are clearly not core gameplay and an optional thing that can be fun but doesn't deserve a fixed spot with the combat and mount buttons. It should either be something you can turn off or it should be in another place.

People may not have the misclick issue but surely there can be nothing against having the option of turning it off or placing it somewhere a bit more out of the way.

The first time that I noticed the new button, I praised the programmers for the cool solution they came up with. And I still think they chose a great spot.

I've read someone even complained because it occludes the view of the battlefield, probably without realising that behind that button... there's a brown panel that covered it also before. If you are able to click on that tiny button instead of your elite skill during a fight (a skill that usually is not activated often and light-minded) it means that you are able to press any skill for another one... maybe you could consider to reduce the speed of your mouse.

I honestly admit that sometimes I activate my standard novelty with the keyboard (when I play at night and I want to open the inventory, not during a fight). But that's my fault, I can always reassign the default key. You can ask for an option to disable it, sure. Like I could also ask for an option to disable the button for the mounts, since I never use it (it's impossible to click fast enough on it and choose a new mount, especially in PoF). But I don't see how a super tiny button can create so much confusion.

> @"Rakath.4579" said:

> It seems to be that any element on the UI should raise to the challenge of ALWAYS RELEVANT TO COMBAT or it should be hidden or removed

Uh, why?

Especially, why "combat". Combat is pretty eh in GW2 compared to cool stuff such as the big world, the mounts, the exploration or the sense of wonder, so why focus the UI on combat?

I use mouse for most of the right side skills, but didn't even notice the UI novelty box for a week. It's not hard to not hit it, unless you also seem to accidentally manage to hit the much larger mount box, often as well? Whyaren't you going on about that instead, as it is on the right side of the skills and is bigger and easier to click?

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> I'm all for cleaning up clutter out of valuable bank space, but the UI isn't where it's needed. Keybinding is essentially the best. But chairs? Have we become so lazy that our toons have to sit? ?

You mean roleplaying? And even without RP'ing if you go to any socially active city in game, you'll find people who aren't even RP'ing at the time, enjoying the seats, using bobblehead toys as tables, and talking about random crap while they find reasons not to sleep, or study lol.

Also, as weird as it seems, the chairs or abbility to just sit in seats around the game has been requested for a few years. :)

> @"Urud.4925" said:

> The first time that I noticed the new button, I praised the programmers for the cool solution they came up with. And I still think they chose a great spot.

> I've read someone even complained because it occludes the view of the battlefield, probably without realising that behind that button... there's a brown panel that covered it also before. If you are able to click on that tiny button instead of your elite skill during a fight (a skill that usually is not activated often and light-minded) it means that you are able to press any skill for another one... maybe you could consider to reduce the speed of your mouse.

>

> I honestly admit that sometimes I activate my standard novelty with the keyboard (when I play at night and I want to open the inventory, not during a fight). But that's my fault, I can always reassign the default key. You can ask for an option to disable it, sure. Like I could also ask for an option to disable the button for the mounts, since I never use it (it's impossible to click fast enough on it and choose a new mount, especially in PoF). But I don't see how a super tiny button can create so much confusion.

I don't know why people are referring to the elite skill button. It's the mount button that's the main issue. Since the mount button is already smaller than a normal skill button and when you are moving you just click the mount button looking from the corner of your eye basically it can happen that you click just too low and hit that novelty thing instead of the mount button.

Why people keep bringing up the elite button when that is not actually part of the complaint. Mounts are part of combat since they have a combat skill and as soon as you finish a combat you remount to hit the next group. It's at moments like that when it's most annoying. I do not know if gaming with UHD/4k resolution is part of the issue because the UI is also smaller then when you run HD because the largest setting is still not that big in UHD, but the issue is there with the mount button and not the elite skill as far as I'm concerned.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> I don't know why people are referring to the elite skill button. It's the mount button that's the main issue. Since the mount button is already smaller than a normal skill button and when you are moving you just click the mount button looking from the corner of your eye basically it can happen that you click just too low and hit that novelty thing instead of the mount button.

>

> Why people keep bringing up the elite button when that is not actually part of the complaint. Mounts are part of combat since they have a combat skill and as soon as you finish a combat you remount to hit the next group. It's at moments like that when it's most annoying. I do not know if gaming with UHD/4k resolution is part of the issue because the UI is also smaller then when you run HD because the largest setting is still not that big in UHD, but the issue is there with the mount button and not the elite skill as far as I'm concerned.

So the issue is when people have to click the mount button and doesn't have a keybind for it when they want to quickly mount AFTER combat?

In my case, the real problem I have is when selecting a different mount in a hasty situation: like changing my griffon for the springer while being chased by a mob of jacarandas so I can escape. In this case, the clickable button REALLY is small and hard to reach, and keybinding one mount skill is not enough: I have to create 5 new keybinds and get accustomed to them for the solution to work. (Or install the select wheel third party overlay thingie).

While I can understand OPs problem, I would say my problem is way harder and urgent to solve. Even with that, I can't imagine feeling "offended" by it.

2 minutes ago I accidentally hit that novelty button in combat with a group.

You know what happened?

NOTHING. lol.

"Cannot use while in combat". So people moaning about it being in the way.

In the way of what exactly? You can't use them in combat, you also can't mount in combat, if you click it, nothing happens where it matters most.

What exactly are you left to moan about? The mount button is not that hard to hit.

Hot keys are there as well. I never use them most times, but decided to with mounts because it makes so much more sense..

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with the part that says, 'It either needs to be moved or have a button that can be disabled'.

My reason for this is the fact that I am old and am a "mouse user", yes i know I should be more efficient! yet I would say that a little more thought could have made this item less controversial!

The option to have it displayed or hidden would be the best option I would think!

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> I'm all for cleaning up clutter out of valuable bank space, but the UI isn't where it's needed. Keybinding is essentially the best. But chairs? Have we become so lazy that our toons have to sit? ?

Yes. Chairs are a godsend. My feet were so damn tired.

Seriously though, not everything they add is aimed at everyone. A smaller but very vocal and very DEVOTED portion of the population (RPers) has been asking for chairs for a super long time.

> @"Shena Fu.5792" said:

> what happens is it causes irritation. so you misclick, and now you're too irritated to refocus back on the fight. irritation that lasts hours, days, months. because the stupid button is always there irritating and driving your sanity little by little. then you stop playing, losing Anet customers.

I think you have more problems than a button if this is enough to drive you to insanity...

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> It should be made for just one type of player...

Congratulations, your opinion no longer matters. I am all for things that allow us to edit the UI or toggle on and off UI features and at it's core I never objected actually to the concept, simply the way it was delivered (through hyperbole and outrage). Now I will never take anything you say seriously again.

> @"Rakath.4579" said:

> The novelties UI element is an bothersome intrusion in the UI. It seems to be that any element on the UI should raise to the challenge of ALWAYS RELEVANT TO COMBAT or it should be hidden or removed, or given the option to hide or remove. I don't have any of these sorts of items on my account and I don't want them. But the decision add this button to the UI chances players to miss-click during combat on some junk.. Mounts and novelties buttons should all be hidden during combat, or give us a way to hide things like that.

>

> Honestly I find it pretty offensive that you've added an "always-on" UI element (novelties) that has no functional purpose if the player has never bought novelty items which, unless I'm mistaken, are sourced exclusively through the gem-store. I'm not against putting a million useless things in the gem store for credit card click bait, I get that you have to pay the employees somehow, but adding always-on UI elements with no functional combat purpose is the wrong way to do it.

>

> Please consider either hiding this UI feature if there are no relevant items unlocked on the account, OR just give us the ability to hide it.

> At the very least put such a button FAR away from the skill bar like perhaps in the menu tab at the top.

Who EVER mouse-clicks their screen?? Do you also turn with the arrow keys??