Open World story NPCs

• ArenaNet Staff

To my knowledge, yes this was the first use of an open world story "follower" like this. There was a fair amount of experimentation needed to get this to work, but we were really happy with the end result. There's definitely limitations to the tech (Blish can't fight with you, for example) but I imagine that it's something we're going to return to when appropriate.

• ArenaNet Staff

Yup! This is actually new tech we developed for this episode. (You can hear more about it [here](

"here").) In the past, we've hidden certain NPCs to certain clients based on things like quest progression, but those NPCs are still run by the server. Which means they have to stand still, which can be awkward for some story situations ("Wait, why don't you just come with me?") and irritating for some gameplay beats ("So, I have to go all the way back there to talk to so-and-so?"). As such, we wanted to see if we could address the problem without introducing new risks. And we thought Blish was a good opportunity to try some trickery. (Shoe's on the other foot now, smartypants! This time, _you're_ the test subject!)

And I agree -- we built this tech with the intention of using it more than just for one (admittedly awfully lovable) golem-bodied buddy. I can't say for sure when (or even if) it'll get used in future content, since context will determine whether it's really the best tool for the job. So, I guess I'm just gonna stay tuned and see what happens! ;)