Reaper solo PvE

Visceroff.7038

I have been running the power minion master, with a few changes from meta, but noticed that build has been taken off Meta all together and was just wondering if the new changes to SR are just that good that running power minion is now obsolete? I love my little minions but am always looking for better ways. Thanks in advance for the replies.

What 'solo PVE meta' are you referring to? The sites I'm aware of have meta builds for group content, not solo PVE. Are you referring to solo PVE in open world content or soloing dungeons, etc ... ??

You can use whatever you like in OW, Personally I prefer reaper, but I don't use minions because they aren't giving me the best performance there; I use Spite/SR/Reaper.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> What 'solo PVE meta' are you referring to? The sites I'm aware of have meta builds for group content, not solo PVE. Are you referring to solo PVE in open world content or soloing dungeons, etc ... ??

>

> You can use whatever you like in OW, Personally I prefer reaper, but I don't use minions because they aren't giving me the best performance there; I use Spite/SR/Reaper.

I went to MetaBattle for a reference point and changed up some things for there. I can see the advantage in SR over DM and will play around with builds and playstyle. I used my minions so much while leveling that I guess I just became use to having them up. I solo probably 98% of the time and love reaper but I am new to reaper and I know I am not getting the most out of the class.

> @"Visceroff.7038" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > What 'solo PVE meta' are you referring to? The sites I'm aware of have meta builds for group content, not solo PVE. Are you referring to solo PVE in open world content or soloing dungeons, etc ... ??

> >

> > You can use whatever you like in OW, Personally I prefer reaper, but I don't use minions because they aren't giving me the best performance there; I use Spite/SR/Reaper.

>

> I went to MetaBattle for a reference point and changed up some things for there. I can see the advantage in SR over DM and will play around with builds and playstyle. I used my minions so much while leveling that I guess I just became use to having them up. I solo probably 98% of the time and love reaper but I am new to reaper and I know I am not getting the most out of the class.

Well, the combination of DM and minions is basically the lazy man's setup as AI are typically going to attack your minions first instead of you. Which allow you to basically facetank through most content. However if you want to perform better then you need to at least ditch DM for SR. However I would also say that it is not necessary as open world balance doesn't matter that much, play however you want. If you do feel like changing it up a bit then swap DM to SR but leave the minions in. If you can survive then slowly remove minions to whichever skills you need until you feel like you are in a good spot.

> Well, the combination of DM and minions is basically the lazy man's setup as AI are typically going to attack your minions first instead of you. Which allow you to basically facetank through most content. However if you want to perform better then you need to at least ditch DM for SR. However I would also say that it is not necessary as open world balance doesn't matter that much, play however you want. If you do feel like changing it up a bit then swap DM to SR but leave the minions in. If you can survive then slowly remove minions to whichever skills you need until you feel like you are in a good spot.

Thank you for the advise and I will try that out.

> @"Visceroff.7038" said:

> I have been running the power minion master, with a few changes from meta, but noticed that build has been taken off Meta all together and was just wondering if the new changes to SR are just that good that running power minion is now obsolete? I love my little minions but am always looking for better ways. Thanks in advance for the replies.

I had no idea MM was meta in any game mode. Please share your build. I normally run power-Reaper or power-Scourge.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> I had no idea MM was meta in any game mode. Please share your build. I normally run power-Reaper or power-Scourge.

It's "meta" for Open World because it's extremely faceroll (this isn't meant in a bad way here). MM builds are not the fastest for OW, but they are probably the safest and easiest. There is a core Power MM and 2 Condi (Scourge and Reaper) MM builds still on Metabattle; if you want to search through the Archives you should be able to find the Power Reaper MM build pretty easily, or just adjust the Core version.

EDIT: The Power Reaper MM build is still linked in the Core MM build, so just get to it through there.

> @"Zsrai.1740" said:

> > @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> > I had no idea MM was meta in any game mode. Please share your build. I normally run power-Reaper or power-Scourge.

>

> It's "meta" for Open World because it's extremely faceroll (this isn't meant in a bad way here). MM builds are not the fastest for OW, but they are probably the safest and easiest. There is a core Power MM and 2 Condi (Scourge and Reaper) MM builds still on Metabattle; if you want to search through the Archives you should be able to find the Power Reaper MM build pretty easily, or just adjust the Core version.

>

> EDIT: The Power Reaper MM build is still linked in the Core MM build, so just get to it through there.

My view of open world meta was too restricted, then. I go simply by the number of mobs that can be tagged and cleaved down per minute without being downed, myself. "Loot bags and event cred's per minute," is kind of my own measure. Burst and mobility with barely enough sustain is how I PvE but not everyone like that.

Spite/SR/Reaper is extremely effective for solo/openworld. It's a bit more fragile then you are used to, but consider that a challenge to step up to. When you get the hang of dropping a target to 50% then whooping them with a massive Executioner's crit you'll see why it's worth it.

If you want more tankiness, try Blood/SR/Reaper with Wells. Lots of protection and life siphon is quite good when facing multiple targets.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> No, being faceroll doesn't define meta at all. Being meta is about optimization. Yes MM builds are super safe.

I dunno, OW is so easy I don't feel like you have to be super optimized for damage to succeed, but optimized for never dying can help you succeed. I'm thinking pure solo, taking out HoT HP champs and so on, just face rolling through it all because you can't die.

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> My view of open world meta was too restricted, then. I go simply by the number of mobs that can be tagged and cleaved down per minute without being downed, myself. "Loot bags and event cred's per minute," is kind of my own measure. Burst and mobility with barely enough sustain is how I PvE but not everyone like that.

Both are definitely valid... I focus more on damage too but just "not dying ever" is a pretty good metric for soloing in Open World too, especially if a player enjoys using minions heavily. If you're focusing on SW/Istan farming then yeah you'll want to ignore defenses and just use skills and weapons that let you AoE and tag as much as you can.

> @"Zsrai.1740" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > No, being faceroll doesn't define meta at all. Being meta is about optimization. Yes MM builds are super safe.

>

> I dunno, OW is so easy I don't feel like you have to be super optimized for damage to succeed, but optimized for never dying can help you succeed. I'm thinking pure solo, taking out HoT HP champs and so on, just face rolling through it all because you can't die.

>

That's all true, but that doesn't change the meaning of meta. OW meta build wouldn't ever use minions because using minions isn't optimal way to succeed in OW content. Damage and/or sustain is compromised quite a bit if you try to substitute Spite or SR with Death Magic. The advantage of minions is that they are a wall that prevents you from catching aggro, so for that to work in the hardest encounters, you have to take advantage of that with ranged weapons because even the minion master build lost some omph when Anet nerfed Blood Magic Vampire traits. Make no mistake, I totally think if you want the 'safe' build, it's Minions with Scepter/condi damage using Curse/Scourge/Death, but that's not even close to optimal.

My approach is the minimum amount of sustain with maximum DPS. For sure maximum DPS involves Spite and Reaper. The last trait choice COULD be Curses but I think for the hardest encounters, it's so critical to have the LF to give maximum Reaper uptime that it's a no brainer. If I was a excel GW2 player, I'm sure I could justify that choice with numbers, but my own playstyle is a practical enough approach for me to think I'm not too far off what a 'OW meta' build would be.

MM is a niche setup for soloing big bad champs (some bounties, HoT hero challenges...) and semi-afk farming, but that's it. Once you get some experience with it, full zerk reaper/spite/SR is very durable in all OW scenarios

> @"Anchoku.8142" said:

> Berserker Reaper build to try, if you like.

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAR3dnMbClbit0AO2A0bilfBj6J8FCWxJxo4VEKpFA+AA-jhRBAB4pbAgHAAlq/c1+jyvHuCAmpEkQAiGDA-e

Standard and solid build, but why "bitter chill" instead of "spiteful talisman" for OW? Outside of Elona mobs don't get boons, and a/f setup removes them quickly anyway. Seems it could gain a lot more from both 10% damage and a/f recharge reduction. Easy enough to max vulnerability as a Reaper.

> @"Tristavel.9218" said:

> Standard and solid build, but why "bitter chill" instead of "spiteful talisman" for OW? Outside of Elona mobs don't get boons, and a/f setup removes them quickly anyway. Seems it could gain a lot more from both 10% damage and a/f recharge reduction. Easy enough to max vulnerability as a Reaper.

>

I can take a guess - it's probably for GS, which has a harder time stacking vuln to 25 before entering shroud. Makes it faster to combo into Executioner's Scythe without having to AA for vuln stacks first. Although if I'm using GS I personally prefer to trait cooldown reduction instead of Decimate Defenses, bitter chill does make GS4+3>Shroud combo with DD a lot smoother.

> @"Harubpunbaru.3260" said:

> dunno what are you talking about but i still see that power minion master at the top of necro https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World

> Minion Master like what above post said, should only pick when you wants to solo champs etc. Running Sp/SR/Rea with minions like Blood Fiend, Shadow Fiend and Flesh Golem also performs really great.

It's top because you can run it while making yourself a sandwich in the kitchen and still succeed in hard encounters. You can run minions naked and it will run 'great performance' to, but that doesn't mean it's optimal for OW.

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at metabattle today on their open world section ... IMO, their analysis of what constitutes 'meta OW' is significantly lacking. Almost no build there considers how to deal with enemy CC, conditions or bar breaking ... all of those are a significant factor in what makes a successful OW build. Use with caution. They are applying the group content formula to OW content, and that will not result in optimal builds.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Just out of curiosity, I had a look at metabattle today on their open world section ... IMO, their analysis of what constitutes 'meta OW' is significantly lacking. Almost no build there considers how to deal with enemy CC, conditions or bar breaking ... all of those are a significant factor in what makes a successful OW build. Use with caution. They are applying the group content formula to OW content, and that will not result in optimal builds.

Yeah it mostly seems to be for solo farming and leveling/story completion, not for any kind of challenge (HoT HPs, etc.) Certainly not for group farming like RIBA, Istan, or even just HoT metas. It's why I said MM was so good for OW; I was using the metabattle sense of just "not dying, killing easy mobs with low effort".

> @"Rhyse.8179" said:

> > @"Tristavel.9218" said:

> > Standard and solid build, but why "bitter chill" instead of "spiteful talisman" for OW? Outside of Elona mobs don't get boons, and a/f setup removes them quickly anyway. Seems it could gain a lot more from both 10% damage and a/f recharge reduction. Easy enough to max vulnerability as a Reaper.

> >

> I can take a guess - it's probably for GS, which has a harder time stacking vuln to 25 before entering shroud. Makes it faster to combo into Executioner's Scythe without having to AA for vuln stacks first. Although if I'm using GS I personally prefer to trait cooldown reduction instead of Decimate Defenses, bitter chill does make GS4+3>Shroud combo with DD a lot smoother.

>

>

That is pretty close, Rhyse. I use Bitter Chill to help stack vulnerability, which Decimate Defenses uses to further build critical hit chance. This is all for just a bit more burst damage earlier in combat. Axe auto-attack also builds vulnerability but I normally use it while closing range and swap to greatsword at the first opportunity. Because of that and mobs with boons in the expansions, the cool-down reduction and increased damage of Spiteful Talisman is not as important. I also chose Bittter Chill so I do not have to take Unyielding Blast for vulnerability. That allows me to take Speed of Shadows for swiftness and clearing annoying movement-restriction conditions. Also, with mounts, I no longer feel as much need to keep Signet of the Locust handy.

The choice is a toss-up, really. If I am using axe/focus, it is generally because I am still closing range or need to kite for defense, in which case dps is the expected trade. When I swap to greatsword, though, I intend to burst everything down as quickly as possible. The great thing about Necromancer's power-builds is the wide variety of ways to build for power damage. You can do a spectral might-stacking Reaper (CV+BB) or even one that uses more signets and it is perfectly valid to take Epidemic on power builds for larger events. I often swap builds around to see how they work in actual combat. The example build I posted is probably best described as a vulnerability-stacking power-Reaper with extra mobility. There are many power-builds for Necro that are not bad.

Condition damage builds are more limited but at least there is more than the one build for core Necro. The two largest gaps in Necromancer build seem to be the lifeless toughness-builds from Death Magic and a good reason to invest in the concentration stat.

I see. Typically I find boons on mobs a non-issue due to axe3, focus5 and nightfall, and I haven't bothered with Unyielding Blast since shroud uptime was reduced (normally I just go GS3 ->RS4 to burst things quickly). Anyway, thanks for in-depth answer. It's certainly true there are multiple ways to make power Reaper tick.

• 4 weeks later...

Until now I've played a MM build. I'm interested in testing the build from Anchokus and wanted to ask, if you could give me some ideas and tips for the gameplay with this build., for example how to use the different utility skills, so can I get a starting point for my own tryout.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

> @"Dalearner.5104" said:

> Until now I've played a MM build. I'm interested in testing the build from Anchokus and wanted to ask, if you could give me some ideas and tips for the gameplay with this build., for example how to use the different utility skills, so can I get a starting point for my own tryout.

>

> Thanks in advance,

> Tom

Open world gameplay is to lead with either raptor skill 1, focus 4, WoS, greatsword 3, or greatsword 5>4>3.

The raptor will gather mobs. You can use raptor to get aggro from multiple mobs before using its skill 1, too.

If not on a mount, you can run toward a mob or ten and use focus 4 to apply vulnerability and some hurt on them from <1200 range.

Well of Suffering can also be used when closing on a group or after loading them with vulnerability.

Signet of Spite just leave alone or swap with Signet of the Locust when not in combat.

Use CttB liberally, especially when playing with elite and champ mobs.

Anything that does not go down in the first handful of seconds, you can enter shroud, use 3 for stability, 5, 4, then 2 toward any out of range. Leave Shroud and mop up any remaining or kite with axe using axe 2 for more LF.

Practice the various ways of stacking vulnerability on mobs before bursting. The build has a lot of burst capability (for a Necro build.)

Remember to use Suffer before the last mob in the area is gone to clear any conditions still on you or dip into shroud quick.