Confused; Far Shiverpeaks

Nunya.4920

Eye of the north is a jump in difficulty from prophecies. I would suggest completing prophecies or any of the campaigns first even if you otherwise meet the requirements, so you are prepared and familiar with the game. Otherwise your exploring of the shiverpeaks wont get far.

Also, eye of the north only partially cover the shiverpeaks, although i will say that section is very good and the norn are more interesting than the sadly watered down versions in gw2

EotN is more than a little rough for those below lvl 20, but it may be worthwhile to start the campaign (the first mission is mostly running IIRC), and get to the next outpost in order to get your first 3 heroes. Similarly, starting nightfall (if you're not Elonian to begin with) will hand you additional heroes. Running with heroes is usually better than henchmen, so getting them early can be a big help.

Guys you are forgetting that you‘re health and attributes are increased when entering eotn below lvl 20. It treats you like a lvl 20 character so you shouldn’t have too many issues there, picking the right heroes and henchmen should do it (always have 2 healers on your team and big dmg dealers and you should be good to go) these npcs you have to talk to to get there are in either Lions Arch, Kamadan, or Kaineng City. You have to do a very fun mission to get there. The easiest way to get there is with a nightfall character, lvl it to lvl 10 and you can travel to the shiverpeaks by taking the quest in Kamadan. To get to lions arch on your own when you aren’t lvl 15 is very hard. Also Cantha is just as easy, sou quickly get to kaineng city and you will for sure be over lvl 10 by then.

Gl & hf

The message "No one can hear you" comes if no one else is in the same channel. For instance, Party chat without another player in party; Local chat if in an explorable area without others in your party, etc. Remember that you can only meet people in Towns and Outposts - once you're in an explorable area, *only your party is there*.

You will need to be more specific about what you mean. I dont understand what you mean by skills resetting to zero.

As for the rest, a lot is a consequence of going there too soon. It might scale you up, but eotn is the 4th expansion and largely assumes your complete understanding of the game. Going there before level 20, ungeared from another campaign without skills bought or captured en route, is going to cause confusion.

Gear can be bought from anywhere in the world. The main diff is the look from lvl 20 onwards. I would return to the main city you were in (lions arch/kaineng/kamaden). Eotns gear relies on a lot of rep, which you wont have until deep into the story and grinding away at quests etc.

As for maps, there is nothing to track. If you are doing the story, it guides you with a green star. Same with any quests you pick up. That will lead you around without any issues.

Im afraid i cant help much more since i havent played it for 6-7 years and most is forgotten, but id still advise learning the game through completing one of the campaigns first.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Also, eye of the north only partially cover the shiverpeaks, although i will say that section is very good and the norn are more interesting than the sadly watered down versions in gw2

Yes, what's up with that? I am utterly confused over how "un-Norn" most Norn are. I hope the devs will make up on that with some future Norn content.

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> I recently heard that you can get the history of the Far Shiverpeaks, by buying the original GW and linking it to your GW2 account. I love the Norn, so I thought, 'why not ?'. I bought one of the games that said it had a Far Shiverpeaks connection, but no joy. So I bought more of the games expansions that I saw for sale, but I still can't find a starting point in Far Shiverpeaks.

You have two options: you read up on all Norn lore there is to be found online (GW1 Wiki, in particular), or you take it upon yourself to truly dive into GW1 and actually play the game, which will be quite time consuming. If you just want to talk to certain NPCs for some lore, you can just read that up online instead.

P.S. Playing through all of GW1 at least once is highly recommendable, though, as its writing was great. :)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Also, eye of the north only partially cover the shiverpeaks, although i will say that section is very good and the norn are more interesting than the sadly watered down versions in gw2

>

> Yes, what's up with that? I am utterly confused over how "un-Norn" most Norn are. I hope the devs will make up on that with some future Norn content.

>

In the first beta weekend (if I recall correctly) Norn in GW2 were more "Norn like" to GW1. They were far bigger than other races etc.

This was changed and into making norn basically taller humans due to balance reasons. Unfortunate but those are sacrifices which happen when you have to redesign races to be player accessible.

> > @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > I recently heard that you can get the history of the Far Shiverpeaks, by buying the original GW and linking it to your GW2 account. I love the Norn, so I thought, 'why not ?'. I bought one of the games that said it had a Far Shiverpeaks connection, but no joy. So I bought more of the games expansions that I saw for sale, but I still can't find a starting point in Far Shiverpeaks.

>

> You have two options: you read up on all Norn lore there is to be found online (GW1 Wiki, in particular), or you take it upon yourself to truly dive into GW1 and actually play the game, which will be quite time consuming. If you just want to talk to certain NPCs for some lore, you can just read that up online instead.

>

> P.S. Playing through all of GW1 at least once is highly recommendable, though, as its writing was great. :)

Agreed, I'd mirror the recommendation others have made to either start with Nightfall or try to get as fast as possible into EotN to access heroes (a type of npc support character, sort f like a pet).

The **old pvx wiki still has links to npc only team builds** for every area of the game: https://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/PvX_wiki

Basically you can create a full custom player+ 7 heroes party (heroes can be equipped with skills and items similar to your main character but are ai controlled). Heroes are vastly superior to henchman (the basic npc ally) and in general only the healing henchman are some what useful. The goal should be to get a full 7 hero party as soon as possible. Then work from there to get the skills and equipment to finish one of the builds.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Also, eye of the north only partially cover the shiverpeaks, although i will say that section is very good and the norn are more interesting than the sadly watered down versions in gw2

> > Yes, what's up with that? I am utterly confused over how "un-Norn" most Norn are. I hope the devs will make up on that with some future Norn content.

> In the first beta weekend (if I recall correctly) Norn in GW2 were more "Norn like" to GW1. They were far bigger than other races etc.

>

> This was changed and into making norn basically taller humans due to balance reasons. Unfortunate but those are sacrifices which happen when you have to redesign races to be player accessible.

Uhm, we weren't talking about looks but about behavior, cultural mindsets etc. They are all two-dimensional and boring in GW2, not how we know them from GW2 (and even from what you perceive when you listen to all the various NPCs in Hoelbrak).

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > Also, eye of the north only partially cover the shiverpeaks, although i will say that section is very good and the norn are more interesting than the sadly watered down versions in gw2

> > > Yes, what's up with that? I am utterly confused over how "un-Norn" most Norn are. I hope the devs will make up on that with some future Norn content.

> > In the first beta weekend (if I recall correctly) Norn in GW2 were more "Norn like" to GW1. They were far bigger than other races etc.

> >

> > This was changed and into making norn basically taller humans due to balance reasons. Unfortunate but those are sacrifices which happen when you have to redesign races to be player accessible.

>

> Uhm, we weren't talking about looks but about behavior, cultural mindsets etc. They are all two-dimensional and boring in GW2, not how we know them from GW2 (and even from what you perceive when you listen to all the various NPCs in Hoelbrak).

That flows into limitations of race design and bloating up a simplistic interesting racial idea into a full fledged race with background and hundreds of npcs and dialoge.

Obviously it makes little sense to still refer to norn as magnificent shape shifters when the race does not use this ability in a players hands (beside being fluff racial skills which are massively toned down due to balance).

Norn in GW1 were interesting and unique, they were also not fully fleshed out and not playable (even Jora was only a basic warrior skill wise). Sure she was portrayed differently lore wise, but how much norn lore were you actually exposed to in GW1 beside the plot related requirements and basic back story? Compared to GW2 a tiny amount.

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > The message "No one can hear you" comes if no one else is in the same channel. For instance, Party chat without another player in party; Local chat if in an explorable area without others in your party, etc. Remember that you can only meet people in Towns and Outposts - once you're in an explorable area, *only your party is there*.

>

> Welp, I can't seem to talk to anyone anywhere, even though I'm at level 17, no one answers, so IDK. I have another 50 questions; :)

Maybe you know this anyway, but Guild Wars 1 is entirely instanced except for towns and outposts, so if you're in an explorable area or a mission, one else there to hear you.

> I finally made it to EOTN, and that's great, but this map sent half of my skills to level 0 when I got here, then just to drive up the crazy, it switched them out, and made the other half 0 later on. It's driving me bats! I'm doing quests as best I can, but it really hamstrung me. What's going on ?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, even with the explanation you gave later. Do you mean it's resetting your [attributes](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Attribute "attributes")? That might be a side-effect of the level scaling, since you at higher levels you have more attribute points, so it probably adds some on and then takes them off again.

> Also, I still haven't figured out how to get armor here. It seems to be rep bound, but rep is kind of hard to get when you're dead. :( There was one guy at the start of EOTN that could have sold me some, but just like the lesser leveled maps, I never seem to have the right ingredients. Most of my armor is still level 5 (boots gloves & mask) and my tunic and pants are only level 45. That was all I could afford to do, even after I found out how to get some ingredients.

The armour available in Eye of the North is prestige armour (expensive end-game armour - it doesn't have better stats but it has unique skins), and it requires reputation points, which are hard to get without completing the Eye of the North campaign. However, you can get armour with the maximum armour rating in Kaineng Centre from [Kakumei](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kakumei "Kakumei"), [Ryoko](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ryoko "Ryoko"), and [suki](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Suki "Suki"). (I'm assuming you're playing as a Factions character so I think you must have got there to get to Eye of the North.) The armour they sell is all functionally the same - the differences are the skins and what materials you need.

> There needs to be a push, to make peeps who are new to this game, more aware of what they need and where to get it.

Did you do the tutorial quests from [instructor Ng](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Instructor_Ng "Instructor Ng") and the headmasters in Shing Jea Island? Those teach you the basics of how to play the game and use skills. I'm not sure that's what you mean though.

> Also, argg, the maps ! I'm supposed to be this great tracker ? If that's the case then the maps also need to 'pretend' I am, and give better clues. My group dies most of the time, and to add insult to injury, we run around like headless chickens for hours. It's maddening I tell you ! :( Thanks for all the helpful comments. :)

The green star only appears for the quest you currently have selected in your quest log. Does that help?

The "skill set down to 0" thing relates to the Journey to the North buff that gives you level-20 stats. It however presets them based on your weapon and skillbar.

See https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_North

As long as you have this buff (it goes away when you reach level 20), your health and armor are hard set to lvl 20 values, so you don't actually have to upgrade your armor.

The rep-locked armors available in EotN are Prestige armors. Prestige armors (usually called Elite armor) are stat-wise *identical* to other level 20 armors, it's literally all about the look. There are much cheaper (and not rep-locked) ones available in other parts of the game, you'll need that when the buff goes away.

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > You will need to be more specific about what you mean. I dont understand what you mean by skills resetting to zero.

> >

> > As for the rest, a lot is a consequence of going there too soon. It might scale you up, but eotn is the 4th expansion and largely assumes your complete understanding of the game. Going there before level 20, ungeared from another campaign without skills bought or captured en route, is going to cause confusion.

> >

> > Gear can be bought from anywhere in the world. The main diff is the look from lvl 20 onwards. I would return to the main city you were in (lions arch/kaineng/kamaden). Eotns gear relies on a lot of rep, which you wont have until deep into the story and grinding away at quests etc.

> >

> > As for maps, there is nothing to track. If you are doing the story, it guides you with a green star. Same with any quests you pick up. That will lead you around without any issues.

> >

> > Im afraid i cant help much more since i havent played it for 6-7 years and most is forgotten, but id still advise learning the game through completing one of the campaigns first.

>

> Well, as for the map, often the green star thing just isn't showing up, or it only shows until you get to the spot of the quest, then sometimes you must run all over Hades, and back, 'searching' for what should have been there. As for my skills; Some were simply 'Zeroed out' and others were raised, or lowered, for reasons that I have no knowledge of. Then when I found another (homestead?) safe place, they switched again. The skills that the game had made 0 were now raised, and the skills the game had raised, were now 0. It happened, it's still happening. it's pretty much that simple. As for coming to EOTN too soon, it hardly mattered, as I was getting a butt thrashing at every lower level. At least now I'm in the maps I bought the game for. My understanding of henchmen and salvaging came too late to stop the frustration, and yes, I did 'look up' everything before asking for help. No joy. GW 1 is a very old game, so maybe that's why, or maybe I had no idea where to look. On the other hand, I did see a lot of posts calling GW2 HoM seekers spoiled babies, which is decidedly unhelpful. This forum has given me the only decent responses that I've had. Thank you all for your helpful comments :)

I wonder if it has to do with the upleveling, which is the first time I've heard of it for Gw1. If the mechanic is basically giving attribute points, it might be resetting on load since you're over the allocation amount for your level (fails a sanity check, and defaults to something in response). Load order is kind of important for how some of those checks are working, and could explain why its randomly altering categories.

> @"Nunya.4920" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > The "skill set down to 0" thing relates to the Journey to the North buff that gives you level-20 stats. It however presets them based on your weapon and skillbar.

> > See https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_North

> >

> > As long as you have this buff (it goes away when you reach level 20), your health and armor are hard set to lvl 20 values, so you don't actually have to upgrade your armor.

> >

> > The rep-locked armors available in EotN are Prestige armors. Prestige armors (usually called Elite armor) are stat-wise *identical* to other level 20 armors, it's literally all about the look. There are much cheaper (and not rep-locked) ones available in other parts of the game, you'll need that when the buff goes away.

> >

>

> The game changed my skills to help me ?? 0.o Gods, if it's this bad while the game is trying to help me, I'm so getting ganked by the mobs at level 20 ! The unhappy fact is, I was getting a butt thrashing at the lower level maps also. Maybe not just because of my armor, but I'm sure it didn't help. So how does one get back to the place they started, and can I get back to the EOTN, after I go look for a way to get lower level armor ? To be honest, I'd rather have my teeth pulled. :( I like the EOTN maps way better, but I'd rather not delete this toon, like I had to the last 7 I tried to play. Thank you for all the helpful comments :)

It's not "set to 0 to help", but you only have a certain amount of Attribute points.

Focus your selected skills into one or two different attributes. If you go back to lower level maps, make sure to re-spend your attribute points to match your skills, and usually you want your Primary Attribute as well as it often helps with your energy management.

Hm. I just realised something.

You *are* adding Henchmen to fill out your party, right?

Always go a full party, and EotN has party size **8**. Add as many Heroes you can (and set up their skills and attributes), and then fill up what remaining roles you need with Henchmen.