Explain this to me like I'm 4 please

What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

>

> Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

>

> Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

> This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

>

> In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

So is there an "improved" version of the moonstone that has the grieving stats at the same values as the other ones he was referring to?

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

> >

> > Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> >

> > Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

> > This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

> >

> > In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

>

> So is there an "improved" version of the moonstone that has the grieving stats at the same values as the other ones he was referring to?

Mournstone. Moonstone is something else. And no, there is not (or the Wiki does not know about it). It seems like either this set was designed to be "different" on purpose or that the person in charge of the design changed and did it differently than the person before him. We also don't know why the mournstone has to be crafted out of a jewel with different stats instead of just dropping like the others (or be gathered like the Passion Flower which can be crafted into an Excuisite Passion Flower), but once again: It is the same for the Sunstone Jewel.

My guess is that the person designing these items did not consider them to be required to be exactly like everything else, and nor did his superiors who gave their OK to this design (if there are any). ArenaNet may even agree that they should be the same and have an "improved" version if they cared enough to look into this, but for that there would need to be a better worded post in the bug forum than what the original poster asked players in the general forum.

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

> > >

> > > Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > > Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > >

> > > Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

> > > This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

> > >

> > > In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

> >

> > So is there an "improved" version of the moonstone that has the grieving stats at the same values as the other ones he was referring to?

>

> Mournstone. Moonstone is something else. And no, there is not (or the Wiki does not know about it). It seems like either this set was designed to be "different" on purpose or that the person in charge of the design changed and did it differently than the person before him. We also don't know why the mournstone has to be crafted out of a jewel with different stats instead of just dropping like the others (or be gathered like the Passion Flower which can be crafted into an Excuisite Passion Flower), but once again: It is the same for the Sunstone Jewel.

>

> My guess is that the person designing these items did not consider them to be required to be exactly like everything else, and nor did his superiors who gave their OK to this design (if there are any). ArenaNet may even agree that they should be the same and have an "improved" version if they cared enough to look into this, but for that there would need to be a better worded post in the bug forum than what the original poster asked players in the general forum.

Admittedly, I have no idea how things work around here. I just stumbled upon this (what I consider a) inconsistency and was spontaneously outraged that's a thing. In reality I think this company is way too big and this forum way too busy for me personally (as an individual) to have any voice in on how things are handled. Perhaps if I had managed to catch more people on the idea this is an inconsistency that shouldn't be in order to create enough pressure... well.

If you see a correct way to do this then please go ahead. Sounds like you've just volunteered. As somebody who considered using grievings stats and already put relatively significant investment towards this I'd be thankful.

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

> > >

> > > Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > > Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > >

> > > Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

> > > This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

> > >

> > > In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

> >

> > So is there an "improved" version of the moonstone that has the grieving stats at the same values as the other ones he was referring to?

>

> Mournstone. Moonstone is something else. And no, there is not (or the Wiki does not know about it). It seems like either this set was designed to be "different" on purpose or that the person in charge of the design changed and did it differently than the person before him. We also don't know why the mournstone has to be crafted out of a jewel with different stats instead of just dropping like the others (or be gathered like the Passion Flower which can be crafted into an Excuisite Passion Flower), but once again: It is the same for the Sunstone Jewel.

>

> My guess is that the person designing these items did not consider them to be required to be exactly like everything else, and nor did his superiors who gave their OK to this design (if there are any). ArenaNet may even agree that they should be the same and have an "improved" version if they cared enough to look into this, but for that there would need to be a better worded post in the bug forum than what the original poster asked players in the general forum.

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose it makes more sense to just farm some berries and stuff and just get ascended ones, not that I'm after this particular stat set but with ascended trinkets being rather easy to get via the LS daily zones, I do wonder why people bother with exotic ones but not everybody might have those areas of course.

> @"Escadin.9482" said:

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > > What you actually should compare are the items that share the name with the "raw gem" as you call it:

> > > >

> > > > Ebony Jewel -> Exquisite Ebony Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > > > Black Diamond -> Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel = Increase (because the jewel itself was improved to a better version of itself?)

> > > >

> > > > Black Diamond -> Mournstone = Different item which doesn't have the same kind of bonus

> > > > This means that the change of stats make it more of a _conversion_ of the item, and not an improvement.

> > > >

> > > > In addition to the items you compare not being similar, this is also not the only jewel. The same happens when you craft a Black Diamond into a Sunstone Jewel.

> > >

> > > So is there an "improved" version of the moonstone that has the grieving stats at the same values as the other ones he was referring to?

> >

> > Mournstone. Moonstone is something else. And no, there is not (or the Wiki does not know about it). It seems like either this set was designed to be "different" on purpose or that the person in charge of the design changed and did it differently than the person before him. We also don't know why the mournstone has to be crafted out of a jewel with different stats instead of just dropping like the others (or be gathered like the Passion Flower which can be crafted into an Excuisite Passion Flower), but once again: It is the same for the Sunstone Jewel.

> >

> > My guess is that the person designing these items did not consider them to be required to be exactly like everything else, and nor did his superiors who gave their OK to this design (if there are any). ArenaNet may even agree that they should be the same and have an "improved" version if they cared enough to look into this, but for that there would need to be a better worded post in the bug forum than what the original poster asked players in the general forum.

>

> Admittedly, I have no idea how things work around here. I just stumbled upon this (what I consider a) inconsistency and was spontaneously outraged that's a thing. In reality I think this company is way too big and this forum way too busy for me personally (as an individual) to have any voice in on how things are handled. Perhaps if I had managed to catch more people on the idea this is an inconsistency that shouldn't be in order to create enough pressure... well.

>

> If you see a correct way to do this then please go ahead. Sounds like you've just volunteered. As somebody who considered using grievings stats and already put relatively significant investment towards this I'd be thankful.

No sorry, already spending too much time on the forums and I am not interested in these items at all. Additionally, i don't believe that ArenaNet would actually be bothered to redo those items or consider implementing an exquisite version which is on par with the numbers of stat bonus of the other ones ;)