[e-spec idea] Legionnaire

Dadnir.5038

So I got this totally ridiculous idea for an absolutely cancerous e-spec for the warrior and I can't help but want to share it. The idea is widely inspired from the old GW's paragon and tinged with a bit of charr lore.

**E-spec:** Legionnaire

The legionnaire is a spec born into the charr legion (Hey mister obvious!). A legionnaire is mostly dependant on teamplay and it's strength is based on 2 things:

- The charr legion technologic management: An equipement filed with gadgets (utility skills).

- The legion chorus: Chants, refrain and final instead of bursts.

**Special mechanic:** chants, refrain and final.

The legionnaire have naturally access to 3 refrain on F2, F3 and F4 who each have a final. What's an refrain? An refrain can be describe as a stance or something close to the elementalist attunment, you can only have 1 refrain effective on you and the refrain only react to chants. To leave an refrain, one have to shout a final and then select another echo.

- F2: _Mending refrain_: Heal you each time you are affected by a chant. _Final of restoration_: heal you and gain regeneration (10s).

- F3: _Aggressive refrain_: Grant quickness (3s) each time you are affected by a chant. _Energizing final_: Your next attack is unblockable, gain quickness (3s) and fury (10s).

- F4: _Burning refrain_: Grant fireshield (3s) each time you are affected by a chant. _Burning final_: Burn (3s) foes around you and gain fireshield (3s).

Chants on the other hand are the new "bursts" of the legionnaire. They only use 1 strike of adrenaline per use (that's to avoid "nerf" personnal gains provided by traits like _berserker's power_ on a spec which is supposed to lean more toward support), strike up to 5 foes around the legionnaire for minor damages and affect up to 5 allies around the legionnaire.

There is 2 categories of chants. Chants from 2 handed weapon which give "offensive buff" to allies and chants based on the legionnaire off-hand which give mainly "defensive buff".

- Greatsword: _Anthem of envy_: Allies affected will deal 20% more damages with their next hit.

- Hammer: _Anthem of disruption_: Allies affected will daze (1/4s) with their next hit.

- Longbow: _Anthem of flamme_: Allies affected will apply burnx2 (4s) on their next hit.

- riffle: _Anthem of guidance_: Allies affected will criticaly hit on their next hit.

- Shield: _defensive anthem_: Allies affected gain protection (3s).

- Warhorn: _song of purification_: Allies affected lose 1 condition.

- Mace: _Anthem of weariness_: Allies affected inflict weakness (3s) on their next hit.

- sword: _Bladeturn chant_: Allies affected gain aegis (3s).

- Axe: _Aria of zeal_: Allies affected gain fury (5s).

**Utilities:** gadget

- Heal: _Helmet of synergy_: Heal yourself for X and heal for Y more if you have no boon on you.

- _Burning plate_: gain Aegis (3s) and fireshield (4s).

- _Godspeed boots_: gain superspeed (3s), breakstun.

- _Return belt_: Pull targeted downed ally to you and revive it by 40%.

- _Glowing gauntlet_: Pull target to you and burn (5s) it.

- Elite: _Remedy greaves_: Breakstun, cure all conditions on you and gain might (8s) for each condition cured. Gain fury (4s), regen (4s), protection (4s) and stability (4s) if you have no boon on you.

**Weapon:** Main hand pistol

- _Lightning shot_: deal damage and apply vulnerability (4s).

- _Maiming shot_: Deal damage and apply cripple (5s).

- _Chest thumper_: Deal damage, daze (1s) and apply 10xvulnerability (5s).

**Traitlines:**

Minor traits:

- _Heart of the legion_: Gain access to chants, echos and finals. You can now use gadget and pistol main hand.

- _Natural temper_: echos grant alacrity (3s).

- _Inspirational speech_: Each time you are affected by a _echo_, your _chant_ CD is reduce by 1s.

Upper traitline: Command

- _Leader's confort_: Echos also grant regeneration (3s). Regeneration have increase effectiveness (20%).

- _Lyric of purification_: chants cure 1 condition.

- _Angelic bond_: Echos now affect up to 10 allies.

Middle traitline: Zeal

- _Leader's zeal_: Pistol's condition last 50% longer. Gain expertise base on your concentration (10% conversion).

- _Focused anger_: Boons last longer 20% on you. Gain 300 concentration (10s) after using a final.

- _Soldier's fury_: Echos also deal damage and apply vulnerability (8s) around you.

Lower traitline: Motivation

- _Burning shield_: whenever you apply fireshield you apply protection (3s).

- _Legion's armor_: gain toughness (40) for each gadget equiped. Toughness reduce condition damage (1% per 100 points of toughness)

- _"They are on fire!"_: Whenever you are stuck under the effect of fireshield set foes around you on fire (1s). Take 20% less damage from burning foes.

Boons and condition duration are probably not reasonnable, but like I said, the idea is totally ridiculous... Still, if it was in game, mesmer would probably have to worry a bit about their PvE raid spot.

Well...

There is some nice ideas. I especially love the reference to paragon (all are there!) . However:

- Is the charr attribution necessary? Elite specs are supposed to be general, so what would that knowledge spread?

- Pistol: I have serious doubt about this weapon. Warrior definetely needs a mid-range option but a pistol just won't go well with the off-hand weapon, unless thought for that

- They are traits and skills that benefit from you not having boons...but when the hell is the warrior able to not having boon on him? That's absurd.

- Chants: well, the other elite specs were not about replacing burst skills but giving new ones. Even berserk allows you to do that. You can't replace burst skills like this because 1) it's a loss 2) traits require out to land these skills on ennemies

- gadgets: why not...but it would have make more sense and appeal on a pure tech-warrior spec i think

To summarize, I think it lacks a bit of flavour. I don't imagine it competing with other support spec.

The idea of a war leader moving on a battlefield in a mechanical suit of armor while bringing war song is nice, very nice,...but that's an idea that should be developped a bit more in that sense. Remember that an elite spec is supposed to introduce skills and a style the professions doesn't have, not just an accumulation of boons. The style lies somewhere there, just make it shine a bit more.

PS: i hope i've not been offensive. I always like to see (and write) some elite spec ideas. But i prefer to be honest when it comes to evaluation. Don't get me wrong, I know it's hard to developp, and there is good stuff there

> @"Lametoile.7394" said:

> Well...

>

> There is some nice ideas. I especially love the reference to paragon (all are there!) . However:

>

> - Is the charr attribution necessary? Elite specs are supposed to be general, so what would that knowledge spread?

Everything need to come from somewhere. I think when one think about "legion", charrs are the most fitting to the idea. They are a warring race and are already organized into legions. The idea is just to have a legion's specific occupation bleeding over onto charrs allies in their fight against the turmoil that the dragons bring over tyria.

> - Pistol: I have serious doubt about this weapon. Warrior definetely needs a mid-range option but a pistol just won't go well with the off-hand weapon, unless thought for that

Well, I know, but I wanted to go paragon all the way and as a range main hand this is the closest thing to paragon's javelin. Beside, it's not like warriors have a lot of free weapons to be added as e-spec weapon, it's either pistol or "magic" themed weapons that are left.

> - They are traits and skills that benefit from you not having boons...but when the hell is the warrior able to not having boon on him? That's absurd.

Only skills, it's there to favor a recovery against boon hate. There is an initial effect and the additionnal effect depend on whether or not there are boons, I don't feel it's more absurd than effect that depend on whethere or not you are affected by a specific condition or the health level.

> - Chants: well, the other elite specs were not about replacing burst skills but giving new ones. Even berserk allows you to do that. You can't replace burst skills like this because 1) it's a loss 2) traits require out to land these skills on ennemies

When ANet introduced the e-spec they specified that e-spec could replace, add or modify the class mechanism. It's not because warriors managed to retain their initial bursts on the first 2 e-spec that it mean that it's set in stone that warrior will always retain their initial bursts. All the "chant" land minor damages on foes around the legionnaire, I've specified it on the initial thread, I don't even need to edit it.

> - gadgets: why not...but it would have make more sense and appeal on a pure tech-warrior spec i think

>

Again, like the pistol it's mainly flavor. To combine both the idea of the paragon and charr legion, I felt that I had to bridge thing with gadgets since the charr legion seem to lean on the technologic side and the technologic aspect of the gadget seemed appropriate to recreate the effect of some paragon's skills that feel more "magical". After all gadgets come from engineers that try to reproduce magical effects throught technology.

> To summarize, I think it lacks a bit of flavour. I don't imagine it competing with other support spec.

>

I honnestly think that it's enough to compete with a mesmer in regard of quickness and alacrity support. Coupled with warrior's banners and natural ability to provide might, there is no reason that the spec as a support wouldn't be very effective. Where one might need to question the idea is more in the fact that this e-spec would stack exceptionnally well with itself. More legionnaires mean that there is more chants that affect those legionnaire who can then use their own chant more often and all of this increase a lot the rate at which each echo proc.

> The idea of a war leader moving on a battlefield in a mechanical suit of armor while bringing war song is nice, very nice,...but that's an idea that should be developped a bit more in that sense. Remember that an elite spec is supposed to introduce skills and a style the professions doesn't have, not just an accumulation of boons. The style lies somewhere there, just make it shine a bit more.

>

>

> PS: i hope i've not been offensive. I always like to see (and write) some elite spec ideas. But i prefer to be honest when it comes to evaluation. Don't get me wrong, I know it's hard to developp, and there is good stuff there

It's better to have negative critics than none :)

Idea is nice, but I feel it's a bit of a faux pas to have 3 different Refrains and not theme them around Iron, Blood and Ash Legion if you're making it Charr-based (Focusing on Protection/Healing with iron, Bleeding/Damage with Blood and CC/Vulnerability with Ash). No problem with it being based on Charr stuff, since PoF came with Human-based ESpecs, so I'd just assume this'd land with the eventual (possible) Charr Homelands Xpac if we ever get it.

Lots of Burning in this ESpec as well, which overlaps with Berserker a bit. Also a lot of new Boons thrown in on seemingly random places. I'd remove the focus on Fire Shields and instead focus effort on being a Boon Support spec, with consideration given to a specific subset of Boons rather than all of them (Either focusing on Protection/Aegis or Quickness/Alacrity, but not all of them). Remember that Core Warrior has plenty of means of sustain already, just in other forms than Boons and Healing, so that you don't overload it with new sustain that'll make them a nightmare in PvP just to fill a PvE niche. For example, Protection + 20% Damage Reduction from Burning enemies (They are on Fire! trait) is already -53% Damage, this for the profession that has very high Personal Healing, several Invulnerabilities and the highest Base Armor and Health in the game.

Overall, concept works but implementation is a bit of all over the place, but you said it yourself that it was a spur-of-the-moment idea you just felt compelled to post, so that's to be expected. Keep working on it and it'll probably fiddle out eventually.

I dont see much charr in this honestly. While char will use magic they dont really prefer it. I feel like this idea was taken with something else in mind and not in the mind of charr lore. I feel like because you are doing something charr inspired and not picking 1 specific legion (blood, ash, iron) it would have been a bit better if each of the traits (top, middle, bottom) were focused on the separate legions providing different effects based on those legions. The utilities dont really feel charr inspired either i mean "God speed boots" we know how most charr feel about gods to reference something like that just seems out of place in itself.

I feel like alot of the "Charr" theme is missing when it comes to the whole thing overall or its just not matching of the race in general.

I feel like if you didn't start off by saying it was charr theme'ed it would overall make more sene in my mind but none of this seems charr like and it references burning alot which ideally makes me think Flame legion but even then it seems to technologic based for even them as they are generally more about magic and rituals.

Overall it seems very odd that you also have worked in tools that only provide benefits when the user has no boons on them.

Ive tried reading this over a few times and i cant wrap my head around any of it because you tried pass it off as charr themed based but dismissed so much basic stuff about charr in general without working any of it really into elite spec. The most i take from charr is just a few names of traits and the first few lines of the post the rest says nothing about charr to me.

I know alot of people dont like Renegade but its a charr themed trait setup fairly well each row of traits represents one of the 3 high legions in one way or another and the minors some what fill in general things you might expect from charr in general. Honestly this seems more like a semi technological take on warrior from a human or asuran perspective not a charr one.

Boon meta would also make this impossible to play and feel wanted Im also not sure how i feel about giving warrior a ton of weapon buff effects to pass out.

I dont agree that this would over take or come close to giving mesmer a run for its money.

If you want to make it charr themed you need to spread everything out in a way that it fits across the 3 legions or make it simply focused on iron legion which is the more technological legion.

I think you could possibly stand to learn a bit more about charr lore too based on whats here you either don't know enough about the charr or you chose to exclude it for referring something else very heavily. I was excited to see you wrote something in the idea of a charr theme but then disappointed the farther i read into it honestly :c no offense.