Astral & Stellar weapons

Narrrz.7532

Why is there no collection for these weapons? Will one ever be added?

It seems very odd that there's no associated achievement for making these, particularly considering the hoops we had to jump through just to unlock the recipes.

Considering the excessive cost of crafting even one of the weapons - did the devs just never expect people to make more than one or two of them?

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > 11.7G is excessive?

> More like 60+.

It was like a year ago.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Marshal%27s%20Astral%20Avenger&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=12500&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true

Granted the above is for the exotic weapon. Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

There are all sorts of weapon & armor sets that aren't part of any collection. I think that's just fine because I prefer that there are things to do in the game just for fun, not because I get a reward.

For costs, I'm with @"Ayrilana.1396"

* 10-15g for the Astral weapons is comparable to other exotics that unlock special skins (it's only expensive when compared to the ones that drop from champ bags & unID gear)

* 40-55g for the Stellar weapons is comparable to other ascended

The only challenging thing is farming the kralk-ore.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

Which defeats the purpose of them being ascended weapons, so I guess the requiem set shows that they did learn from their mistake to some degree but the core problems are still present.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

> Which defeats the purpose of them being ascended weapons, so I guess the requiem set shows that they did learn from their mistake to some degree but the core problems are still present.

You may want to elaborate because this doesn’t make any sense.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

> > Which defeats the purpose of them being ascended weapons,

> How does it defeat the purpose of them being ascended weapons?

Because you essentially just want the skins. Most people already have their ascended stuff and if you just want to gear up another char then you're better off using the regular way as it is cheaper and you don't have to deal with additional content. Them being ascended weapons does nothing for them aside from discouraging people from going after them. At least the ascended breathing apparatus from S3 added some replay value to the assotiated content which is completely missing from most of the "newer" releases.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

> > > Which defeats the purpose of them being ascended weapons,

> > How does it defeat the purpose of them being ascended weapons?

> Because you essentially just want the skins.

Sure, so I make a Stellar whenever I have use for a new ascended. If I don't, then that's fine too.

> Most people already have their ascended stuff

The evidence doesn't support that. Every day people post here & on /r/guildwars2 about struggling to gear up characters with ascended.

Frequent raiders and fractalers have ascended gear. A lot of WvW guilds insist upon it. But there's also plenty of folk who don't bother.

> and if you just want to gear up another char then you're better off using the regular way as it is cheaper

Not noticeably. Zojja's GS costs close to 52 gold to make, the Stellar GS costs about 49g. 5 ecto plus a zerker exotic inscription runs 3.5g, so the total costs are within 50 silver regardless of which way you choose to make it.

> and you don't have to deal with additional content.

True enough, except... the point is to get a new skin **and** an ascended one at that.

Also, (a) I got AP on the way to unlocking the ability to make the skins and (b) the relevant materials drop from stuff I do anyhow. (Even easier for folks who farm Istan.)

> Them being ascended weapons does nothing for them aside from discouraging people from going after them.

On the contrary, I absolutely refuse to make the Astral weapons because 11 gold for an exotic is more than I'm willing to pay unless I love the skin. In contrast, paying the same price for an ascended that unlocks a new skin? That's a bargain to me.

> At least the ascended breathing apparatus from S3 added some replay value to the assotiated content which is completely missing from most of the "newer" releases.

Breathing gear are a total waste for me. The game has never required breathers to, you know, breathe underwater and I have no interesting in paying a premium for the privilege of running a superfluous item. Exotic breathers are a relative bargain & even masterwork breathers will hold any rune. Anyone with enough AR for fractal 100 also has enough without the slot for the single fractal that takes place underwater.

The sole exception might be WvW, where I'd just as soon have a less noticeable skin anyhow.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > Stellar is in the 50s but it’s also ascended and on par with how much it takes to craft regular ascended weapons.

> > > Which defeats the purpose of them being ascended weapons,

> > How does it defeat the purpose of them being ascended weapons?

> Because you essentially just want the skins. Most people already have their ascended stuff and if you just want to gear up another char then you're better off using the regular way as it is cheaper and you don't have to deal with additional content. Them being ascended weapons does nothing for them aside from discouraging people from going after them. At least the ascended breathing apparatus from S3 added some replay value to the assotiated content which is completely missing from most of the "newer" releases.

I've been playing 6 years and I only have one character that's 100% decked out in ascended gear, and I just got that final weapon last week. I'd be willing to bet most people who don't grind fractals all all the time, don't have a full set of ascended weapons on every character yet. Plus, if you hardly have any ascended gear then it's an even better deal, since you'll get both the stellar skin, and the stat-appropriate antique weapon skin once you change it over.