Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition - why isn't this Ascended?

The final backpack for the Mad Memories Halloween quest requires great effort to buy recipes and to craft 12 pieces (minimum) of Lunatic Armor. The backpack before this one (Mad Memorial) is an Exotic Stat-Selectable item. So is the final backpack, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Shouldn't it be Ascended Stat-Selectable?

> @"phs.6089" said:

> Same reason why precursors for ge1 legendary weapons are exotic, it's an old item from times there was no ascended quality in game, i guess.

That's true for the first 3 books, but the one Mephistophles is asking about is [Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mad_Memoires:_Complete_Superstition "Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition") which requires you to collect all 18 Lunatic Armor skins. This book, and the Lunatic Armour, were added in 2017 when the other 3 collections finally came back.

I've not looked at the cost to craft Lunatic armour, but assuming it's not much cheaper than normal exotic armour it does seem reasonable for the collection to award an ascended item, given what you have to do to get it.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Same reason why precursors for ge1 legendary weapons are exotic, it's an old item from times there was no ascended quality in game, i guess.

>

> That's true for the first 3 books, but the one Mephistophles is asking about is [Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mad_Memoires:_Complete_Superstition "Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition") which requires you to collect all 18 Lunatic Armor skins. This book, and the Lunatic Armour, were added in 2017 when the other 3 collections finally came back.

>

> I've not looked at the cost to craft Lunatic armour, but assuming it's not much cheaper than normal exotic armour it does seem reasonable for the collection to award an ascended item, given what you have to do to get it.

I see then as just 80+% of collection in this game it's for the skin, not a useful item

Of course ArenaNet might've decided that this is an item that's all about the skin rather than the stats. If anything's true in this game, it's that rewards of a certain nature or level do not have equal effort behind it to acquire it...some are easier than others in other words. So to assume that equal effort should gain equal rewards sounds right on paper but isn't necessarily the case in practice.

When you look at the backpack for example that you can get in the frostbitten region with winterberries, that's a very easy one to get compared to some of the collections. I mean, it's not even close. Now, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with this item having ascended stats, but if your argument is that the effort involved should make it an ascended item, well, then I have to say there is no such consistent approach in the game that I can see. A lot more has to change if you want it to be about a "fair" reward for the effort involved. It's best summarized in this 4-second snippet from Tomb Raider

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Same reason why precursors for ge1 legendary weapons are exotic, it's an old item from times there was no ascended quality in game, i guess.

>

> That's true for the first 3 books, but the one Mephistophles is asking about is [Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mad_Memoires:_Complete_Superstition "Mad Memoires: Complete Superstition") which requires you to collect all 18 Lunatic Armor skins. This book, and the Lunatic Armour, were added in 2017 when the other 3 collections finally came back.

>

> I've not looked at the cost to craft Lunatic armour, but assuming it's not much cheaper than normal exotic armour it does seem reasonable for the collection to award an ascended item, given what you have to do to get it.

Weren't there only 2 backpack Mad Memoires before? I was thinking 2017 added the third and the fourth backpacks.

> @"Draco.9480" said:

> why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

That is completely beside the point of this thread, though... :s

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Weren't there only 2 backpack Mad Memoires before? I was thinking 2017 added the third and the fourth backpacks.

That is correct. The last two books were added last year.

> @"Draco.9480" said:

> why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

I wouldn't say farming winterberries for an LS3 backpack is any harder than getting 18 Lunatic armour skins. The bloodstone one probably takes longer but again it's not difficult, it's just that the reliable sources of rubies are restricted to once per day and the nodes don't always drop them.

Actually the original two books were available only once, long ago. The first was blue (fine) with a plain skin, the second green (masterwork) with the burning skin.

In 2017 they decided to reintroduce the book backpacks in a different form. The first now is green (masterwork) with a plain skin, the second is yellow (rare) with the burning skin. The new third is exotic, I agree that it wouldn't have hurt to make the nw fourth/last one in the chain ascended.

I didn't realise the 3rd book is also new, I thought it was just the fourth one.

I tend to level characters quite slowly, so my highest was only about level 30 by Halloween 2012. I did the collection for the first book, started the second and when I needed to go to a map I was too low level for (Bloodtide Coast I think) I stupidly turned down an offer for my guild to run me through and said I'd do it next Halloween. If I'd known I'd be waiting 5 years I'd have accepted their offer, even if it felt like cheating!

> @"Draco.9480" said:

Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"Draco.9480" said:

> > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

>

> Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

And yet you get 18+1 pieces of exotic armor for those resources and time compared to farming for ascended armor. If ascended backpiece was of importance then the player could acquire it directly instead.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > > @"Draco.9480" said:

> > > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

> >

> > Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

>

> And yet you get 18+1 pieces of exotic armor for those resources and time compared to farming for ascended armor. If ascended backpiece was of importance then the player could acquire it directly instead.

I don't care whether the thing is ascended or not, I was just correcting the person I quoted since he seemed to be saying getting an ascended backpiece was harder than getting this skin.

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > > > @"Draco.9480" said:

> > > > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

> > >

> > > Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

> >

> > And yet you get 18+1 pieces of exotic armor for those resources and time compared to farming for ascended armor. If ascended backpiece was of importance then the player could acquire it directly instead.

>

> I don't care whether the thing is ascended or not, I was just correcting the person I quoted since he seemed to be saying getting an ascended backpiece was harder than getting this skin.

If you have the gold then you can get them fairly quickly. It’s like 10G per piece assuming that you have the required crafting skill level. The collections for the first set can be done in like an hour or two at the same time as you do the Halloween achievements that you’d likely also be working on completing anyway.

Stat selection would probably be minimal, and most likely not include HoT or PoF stats as an option. Knowing ArenaNet, it would probably only have 3 or 4 options to choose from, and definitely would not have an option to reset it so you could reselect the stats on it. In other words, you'd be better off getting an ascended back item from a living world map either way.

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"Draco.9480" said:

> > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

>

> Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

no. you're really wrong. all you have to do is buy a bunch of candy corn cobs, buy the recipes. and buy the materials and craft it. but then you'll give me an excuse "but i don't have crafting 400+" well everyone must have crafting on all of 'em at max level to even progress in the game to get collections, skins and gear.

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

> > >

> > > Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

> >

> > And yet you get 18+1 pieces of exotic armor for those resources and time compared to farming for ascended armor. If ascended backpiece was of importance then the player could acquire it directly instead.

>

> I don't care whether the thing is ascended or not, I was just correcting the person I quoted since he seemed to be saying getting an ascended backpiece was harder than getting this skin.

no one said it was harder. i said just work for it. you shouldn't get ascended items from easy festival events.

> @"Draco.9480" said:

> > > why you people want to be rewarded so greatly for minor stuff. big deal getting 3 exotic lunatic sets. you get a skin. what more do ya need. want asc backpiece? go work hard for it. there are farming maps of LS3 and raids for it.

> >

> > Crafting the 3 lunar sets takes more resources and time then farming lw3 for an ascended backpeice.

>

> no. you're really wrong. all you have to do is buy a bunch of candy corn cobs, buy the recipes. and buy the materials and craft it. but then you'll give me an excuse "but i don't have crafting 400+" well everyone must have crafting on all of 'em at max level to even progress in the game to get collections, skins and gear.

By the same logic all you have to do is buy the LS3 backpieces from the vendor on the map. You can't include the time required to obtain the currency for one and not the other. Yes it's 'only' gold and crafting materials, which means there are more options for where you get it, but you've still got to get it before you can use it to buy anything.

> @"Draco.9480" said:

> >

>

> no. you're really wrong. all you have to do is buy a bunch of candy corn cobs, buy the recipes. and buy the materials and craft it. but then you'll give me an excuse "but i don't have crafting 400+" well everyone must have crafting on all of 'em at max level to even progress in the game to get collections, skins and gear

Actually, my post was based on my experience from last year when I had to craft the insignias from scratch. This was before the tp was loaded with insignias. Buying all of those mats by the thousand and then converting them was far more annoying to me than logging into bitterfrost, and harvesting berries.

To me, getting a backpeice from bitterfrost was way easier than the annoyance I felt when crafting for this item.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Draco.9480" said:

> > >

> >

> > no. you're really wrong. all you have to do is buy a bunch of candy corn cobs, buy the recipes. and buy the materials and craft it. but then you'll give me an excuse "but i don't have crafting 400+" well everyone must have crafting on all of 'em at max level to even progress in the game to get collections, skins and gear.

>

> By the same logic all you have to do is buy the LS3 backpieces from the vendor on the map. You can't include the time required to obtain the currency for one and not the other. Yes it's 'only' gold and crafting materials, which means there are more options for where you get it, but you've still got to get it before you can use it to buy anything.

you know there are ascended back items that require 'juts gold', right? Not even crafting, just gold, trow mats into toilet and get your back item, there is even one with selectable core stats.