Drop Rates

Lacuda.8543

> @"Lacuda.8543" said:

> You keep switching what you're saying here,

I really don't. Let me restate it so it's clear:

* ANet has had a consistent policy for over 10 years to leave it to players to discover some of the 'magic' of the game themselves. This goes for minor features in these very forums, as well as drop rates in both GW1 and GW2.

* Personally, I'd prefer if they published the details, because it would make it easier for me to make more on the TP.

* Let me repeat that again since you've gotten it wrong multiple times: I would prefer to see ANet publish the numbers.

* I'd make more because the vast majority of people _do not_ make good use of numbers in changing their behavior and the arbitrage on that confusion is huge.

* No one is _forced_ to spend money; some people enjoy collecting data and publishing it for others to make use of. I don't much care for the collection itself, but I do like helping others interpret the results. As stated above, ANet thinks it's fun for some... and it turns out, it is fun (for some).

* Ember Infusion & the Spider gift are in the same tier, because the tier has never had anything to do with _value_, nor with specific rates; it represents which drop table the item belongs to. Some items belong to multiple tables (although not with ToTs and usually the amounts will vary with tier). This is one of the reasons ANet isn't likely to publish numbers, because the system is more complicated than "Item A has an X% rate and B has a Y%."

> I get that you enjoy the mystery or whichever.

You got that wrong. Again.

> But a large amount of players (possibly the majority) would prefer to see drop rates.

Of course, lots of people _say_ that they want to see rates. I haven't actually said different. What I keep saying is that the evidence shows that most people don't really pay attention to details. In general, people do not make use of such data when they have it; it doesn't change their behavior. Accordingly, it's a huge investment by ANet to benefit a small number of people. And, it turns out, a lot of those who would benefit are those who are going to profit from having the data explicitly.

Since you keep diverging your own thread from your original post, here it is again

> Hello, can we get an official site indicating item drop rates? There is no reason to keep them secret, unless someone is doing something dubious like actively changing them on the fly to suit market demands...

Answer: there really are reasons to not publish the data; you simply choose not to accept them.

> I ask this because in the first week of the Halloween event, on average per 1000 trick or treat bags, one of the new infusions would drop.

The evidence does not support this interpretation.

> People were getting them left right and center and the trader got flooded and their prices kept going down.

Prices _always_ go down during festivals, because people open _millions_ of bags. Then they go up again as word spreads about the new shinies, as new people get interested, as long-term speculators enter the market, and as people get a sense of how rare (or common) things are.

Besides which "people" were not getting them that often.

> Now, trick or treat bags are cheaper than that week, yet many of these infusions have begun increasing in price. This shouldn't correlate if drop rates had remained the same.

This happens all the time (even when drop rates are well known). Shinies start high, trend down, then start to trend up. Then, depending on perceived value & rarity, they might fall quickly... or continue to rise. It really depends on factors besides supply.

> Not to mention it is extremely unethical to classify items like the Ember Infusion or Gift of the Spider in the same category of rarity, considering the latter drops at a much higher rate.

This is a good example of how people misinterpret data. These items are in the same _table_ of drops, not the same rarity category. It's long been established that (a) the items within a table can be of wildly different values and (b) don't necessarily have identical rates to drop within that table.

I would agree that the names (common, uncommon, ...) aren't helpful and instead, ANet should use more neutral terms.

> I don't think any player enjoys not knowing the odds of a drop they are trying to farm.

Many like not knowing. Many don't care.

> Other, older titles can do it, so why can't GW2?

GW2 _could_. The question is: should they? Is it worth the time/cost relative to the benefits? Who would benefit the most? Who wouldn't benefit at all?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> * I'd make more because the vast majority of people _do not_ make good use of numbers in changing their behavior and the arbitrage on that confusion is huge.

That's just a very big point to **not** show any droprate.

Making most of the player angry to let a handful get more gold. That's not how it works.

> @"Lacuda.8543" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > They (and myself as well) prefer if players researched it themselves.

>

> Players who research it themselves without the help of API released drop rates tend to have highly skewed and inaccurate information.

> For example

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C-IraCHPgdEMwv35HG7IMOpLPTtxyuT3bG_jAIdiYaU/edit#gid=703377890

> this guy opened 100,000 bags and got results which made zero sense.

>

> Considering players tend to buy gold with money and then use that gold to buy boxes to get items, it's essentially gambling. Drop rates are legally required in several countries as a result.

Except that ANET can counter that when you buy a BL chest, you get 1 BL Statuette, and 1 Bag of whatever the current chest theme is, and 2 other random items from which you have a chance at getting....

As you are not getting only randomly selected items, the boxes don't qualify as gambling afaik.