Profession Stereotypes

Lucas.3718

Do you believe in the Profession stereotypes, like a guardian is like a paladin and must allways follow virtues and being a goody goody two shues, or a thief to be a backstabing, "loyal to noone" wanderer? or can you kinda play arround some ideas even if the classes wont be quite 100% fitting like a kinda "renegade for life, selfloyal" guardian or something like that ?

odd question, i'm gonna assume this is in regards to RP.

no profession stereotypes aren't a set rule. (don't know where it is)

the guardian's virtues are fairly easily applied to multiple philosophies and life styles (courage, resolve and justice) and even then you could twist those with some mental gymnastics

and nowhere is it stated that thiefs are disloyal backstabbers. (look at the ash legion, they've got plenty of thiefs loyal to them)

I wouldn't call your examples stereotypes per say but they are the first ones that come to peoples minds because thats likely the first example the majority are introduced to.

A thief can be very loyal and trusting granted it just depends on how people look at things.

For example there have been villains who are technically, in one aspect or another, "guardians" to the views of some.

Yes they think that their resolve and what they are doing is some form of justice even if it means killing or getting rid of those who do follow their goals. They choose to protect those who do fall in line with their ideas though. The terms for things like "Guardian" can be very loose.

Even your renegade example can easily have 2 sides of the coin as a renegade is defined as "a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles." Meaning that they could desert whats seen as a good organization for their own reasons or to side with an organization that can be seen as bad.

In short my answer is **"No"** because everything can be "good" or loyal and everything can also be "bad" or backstabbing and if you want you can opt to be "neutral." It just depends on how far out side of the box your mind goes.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> and nowhere is it stated that thiefs are disloyal backstabbers. (look at the ash legion, they've got plenty of thiefs loyal to them)

That is cuz thieves hold together.

Thieves creed

Rule 1# You dont stab a fellow theif to a floor. (finish a fellow thief with a finisher).

Rule 2# Deadeye is not a thief. Yet we still apply rules on them due to the respect for the tradition.

Rule 3# Always bow before and after a duel. If you win a funny pun is a necessity. Always have some prepared.

it is not a stereotype. it is an in game life style.

Thankfully we don't have creative input of the Commander in that way so this can only be seen as a purely RP kinda question.

In my mind it's not so much the profession but rather the appearance of a character that influences my opinion on how I would recognize them as potentially good or bad from a RP perspective.

For example I see a lot of thieves with grand shiny armors and extravagant weapons and I just don't get the negative backstabing, "loyal to noone" wanderer type of vibe the OP is talking about.

I do however get that vibe from those who dress their thives like assassins etc.. making them appear as shady as possible.

Gw2 just isn't a game that typically defines proffessions in a good or bad way politically or otherwise (with exception to some Mesmer Queen bashing on occasion :P).. Necromancer is a great example of that as well since we can quite literally be a world celebrated hero while the world overlooks how we mutilate and abuse the corpses of the dead..

It's funny when you think about it really.

I think you're confusing stereotypes with archetypal symbolism. Thieves in this game are inspired by the rogue archetype (dark image, knives, fast movements). Just like guardian is inspired by the paladin archetype (light magic, heavy armor) or ranger is inspired by the hunter archetype (bow and arrow + animals). Most classes in this game are like this. Only ones I don't think fit into any one popular (or clear) archetypal image are the mesmer, engineer, and revenant.

Necros are dark emo megalomaniacs.

- Dark [insert pseudo]

- Lord [insert pseudo]

- [insert pseudo] of death/Darkness

Warriors are simple minded. Rush first, think later.

Rangers are anti social. Better off pewpewing from 2000.

Eles are posers. Making selfies anytime they can. Most in downstate though.

Edit: thieves feel like uninvited guests.

Guildwars has always had pretty neutral framework for its classes.

None of the classes have an associated alignment; and the few that are closest had found a way to have them play both sides of the moral field with something as simple as recognizing character personality. For instance, Guardian's are not modern monks or paladins.... they don't draw their power from Gods or magical beings, but through force of will and personal resolve to their chosen cause. Revanent takes the inverse of this idea, not by worshiping beings or making pacts (as you'd expect priests and warlocks to do), but by enslaving them if necessary. Theives are masters of espionage and deception, benefiting themselves or others as they see fit. Memsers take theatrics to an extreme, bending perception, or even reality to their whims.

None of these are inherently good or evil..... and even when described in an insultingly reductionist manner, what you have a philosophy applied to a fighting style. A warrior using brute force to solve problems, where as an Elementalist manipulating elements to fit any number of needs at any given moment. Mesmers using misdirection to pit uncertainty against their target, or how a Thief uses uncertainty as a shield to control the battle.

While they're designs are based on Archetypes for ease of identification by way of tropes and short hands, they are not explicitly bound to any moral or behavioral requirements. The skills they learn in association with their fighting style are merely tools, and can be made to serve any cause or purpose that character sees fit. This actually a huge advantage in terms of story, as they become decoupled from their methods. Looking at Asura, they all have access to Magitech at a scholastic and practical level to solve any issue too large for their combat skills to address. Zojja is an Elementalist by class, but is an inventor and theoretical researcher by trade.... something you'd normally associate with "Engineer" or a builder type classes.

• 3 weeks later...

The 'strong but silent' necromancer.

The 'seductive and alluring' mesmer.

The 'bombastic and dramatic' elementalist.

The 'sly and shifty' thief.

The 'introverted around humans but extroverted around animals' ranger.

The 'mad scientist' engineer.

The 'pious and faithful' guardian.

The 'mysterious, prophecy spewing' revenant.

The 'bloodthirsty and battle-hungry' warrior.