Dye Kits need to be seriously looked at

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > As to the point: the fact is that there is a steady supply of exclusive dyes with some of them being fairly accessible (and some being readily available for a higher price). It necessarily follows that there *is* a sufficient supply of dyes right now, either from gamblers or as occasional drops for various players.

> > Now, you realize it's currently not profitable for you to engage in dye gambling. The solution is simple: don't gamble.

>

> OK, dye kits are currently fine, the supply is fine, the prices are fine, the value of buying dye kits for gems is fine, it's all fine and there are no improvements that could currently be made to the system. The contrarians have won. o/

That's because they're right.

> @"Ariurotl.3718" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > As to the point: the fact is that there is a steady supply of exclusive dyes with some of them being fairly accessible (and some being readily available for a higher price). It necessarily follows that there *is* a sufficient supply of dyes right now, either from gamblers or as occasional drops for various players.

> > > Now, you realize it's currently not profitable for you to engage in dye gambling. The solution is simple: don't gamble.

> >

> > OK, dye kits are currently fine, the supply is fine, the prices are fine, the value of buying dye kits for gems is fine, it's all fine and there are no improvements that could currently be made to the system. The contrarians have won. o/

>

> That's because they're right.

Of course, everything is currently perfect with dye kits after all.

Consumers who support random-access business practices get what they deserve. Unfortunately, those people are not the only ones impacted. Such practices are designed to entice people to spend more for a given item that that item's inherent value would bear, were the item to be sold for a fixed cost.

Fortunately, those who don't like such practices have the option not to support the company in using them -- by refusing to buy the random boxes with money or gold. This is the only way for consumers to make any impact on how companies monetize their products. Only the revenue stream matters, thus the only way to influence the company's practices is to impact their revenue. Unfortunately, random consumers in an online game are unlikely to act in the concerted fashion needed to have such an impact.

Pity.

> > @"Ariurotl.3718" said:

> > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > > As to the point: the fact is that there is a steady supply of exclusive dyes with some of them being fairly accessible (and some being readily available for a higher price). It necessarily follows that there *is* a sufficient supply of dyes right now, either from gamblers or as occasional drops for various players.

> > > > Now, you realize it's currently not profitable for you to engage in dye gambling. The solution is simple: don't gamble.

> > >

> > > OK, dye kits are currently fine, the supply is fine, the prices are fine, the value of buying dye kits for gems is fine, it's all fine and there are no improvements that could currently be made to the system. The contrarians have won. o/

> >

> > That's because they're right.

>

> Of course, everything is currently perfect with dye kits after all.

You also appear to be forgetting one important factor...new players, the dye kits as is are perfect for new players that want to acquire dyes quickly without buying from the TP, along the way they also get the exclusive dye, which they may or may not want and if they don't want they can sell it on the TP for gold...win/win. I've actually never lost money on dye kits, either I always get one exclusive dye I don't have yet or I get one that is worth enough gold to sell, then I salvage all the rest, and give to the guilds scribe for their use...win/win again.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Ariurotl.3718" said:

> > > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > > > As to the point: the fact is that there is a steady supply of exclusive dyes with some of them being fairly accessible (and some being readily available for a higher price). It necessarily follows that there *is* a sufficient supply of dyes right now, either from gamblers or as occasional drops for various players.

> > > > > Now, you realize it's currently not profitable for you to engage in dye gambling. The solution is simple: don't gamble.

> > > >

> > > > OK, dye kits are currently fine, the supply is fine, the prices are fine, the value of buying dye kits for gems is fine, it's all fine and there are no improvements that could currently be made to the system. The contrarians have won. o/

> > >

> > > That's because they're right.

> >

> > Of course, everything is currently perfect with dye kits after all.

>

> You also appear to be forgetting one important factor...new players, the dye kits as is are perfect for new players that want to acquire dyes quickly without buying from the TP, along the way they also get the exclusive dye, which they may or may not want and if they don't want they can sell it on the TP for gold...win/win. I've actually never lost money on dye kits, either I always get one exclusive dye I don't have yet or I get one that is worth enough gold to sell, then I salvage all the rest, and give to the guilds scribe for their use...win/win again.

No, it merely exploits those new players who don't realise they can buy every common dye for 1g.

The Smidgen of Dye/guaranteed currency angle seems to be working very well for BL chests, and I think OP is right that they would benefit dye kits as well. New players usually won't sink a ton of money into a game until they know if they enjoy it, and by the time they know if they enjoy it, it's more likely they'll have discovered cheap dye on the TP than the iffy gamble that is dye packs. Adjustments to the packs would be, at the moment, something geared toward players who have been around and know/care about loot box/gamble dynamics.

Adding a currency to the packs doesn't seem like it'd negatively impact the market. As several people have said, with birthday rewards, time, and player base shrinkage, the gold value will gradually fall on all dyes the longer they've been out, and that impact is negligible. Having rotating access to something you need to save up Smidgens/currency for will have a similar if not equal impact on the health of the game's economy while boosting revenue for Anet on an item that currently is not worth the risk for most players.

Treating this suggestion like a whine is not a good answer to the question of 'is this an idea that would help dye packs sell?'

The answer is yeah, it would. People like collecting stuff, Anet's got a crush on adding 5,000 currencies to the game, and more money for the company means more content for us.

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Ariurotl.3718" said:

> > > > > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > > > > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > > > > > As to the point: the fact is that there is a steady supply of exclusive dyes with some of them being fairly accessible (and some being readily available for a higher price). It necessarily follows that there *is* a sufficient supply of dyes right now, either from gamblers or as occasional drops for various players.

> > > > > > Now, you realize it's currently not profitable for you to engage in dye gambling. The solution is simple: don't gamble.

> > > > >

> > > > > OK, dye kits are currently fine, the supply is fine, the prices are fine, the value of buying dye kits for gems is fine, it's all fine and there are no improvements that could currently be made to the system. The contrarians have won. o/

> > > >

> > > > That's because they're right.

> > >

> > > Of course, everything is currently perfect with dye kits after all.

> >

> > You also appear to be forgetting one important factor...new players, the dye kits as is are perfect for new players that want to acquire dyes quickly without buying from the TP, along the way they also get the exclusive dye, which they may or may not want and if they don't want they can sell it on the TP for gold...win/win. I've actually never lost money on dye kits, either I always get one exclusive dye I don't have yet or I get one that is worth enough gold to sell, then I salvage all the rest, and give to the guilds scribe for their use...win/win again.

>

> No, it merely exploits those new players who don't realise they can buy every common dye for 1g.

Whether it's exploiting new players or not is an opinion, not all players use or will use the TP, keep in mind that people who play mobile games(the true essence of "casual" depending on your definition) will be more willing to buy from the Gem Shop then from the TP. Also, none of us(the current players) know what sells and what doesn't on the Gem Shop, though I can hazard a guess that the items currently on the Gem Shop must sell enough to bring in some money to ArenaNet, otherwise they wouldn't be on the Gem Shop(even with a Gem Shop you aren't going to stock items no one buys or generates little income, they don't have loss leaders on there).

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > I save the common dyes and use them in the Mystic Forge when that's one of the dailies.

>

> I mean I guess... why are you defending this?

Why do you care what I do or don't do in my game? When I get common stuff as drops or in RNC, I sell it, salvage it, or put it in the forge, then play on. When I was a new player I bought some dye kits for fun and hoping I'd get some rares, but I certainly no longer buy them nor am I forced to. If I get them in drops, well, I get a lot of stuff I don't want in drops. Shrug.

> > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > >

> > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> >

> > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

>

> The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

> @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > >

> > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > >

> > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> >

> > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

>

> What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> So, use the Jubilant, Exuberant or Triumphant Dye Packs. Several expensive Dyes offered in those packs. Including Permafrost.

Life is short Inculpatus. I made a nice QoL suggestion, and you say "statuette currency wouldn't be good, you can simply wait 3-5 years". That is crazy! I don't know if I'll even be playing this game, I don't even know if the game will still be around then.

They have already addressed it in 3 different ways.

In chronological order

1) having them be tradeable, buy from the TP and there is not randomness involved

2) inclusion in the birthday gifts starting from the 3rd, doesn't matter if you don't have any character that old since simply including it drops the price Permafrost used to be over 1500g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/81571-permafrost-dye?full=1 Inclusion in the 4th birthday dropped shadow abyss by around 200g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69231-shadow-abyss-dye?full=1

3) rotating set in the BLC, Shadow Abyss price history is also a great demonstration of this. Before the Oct 16 patch which changed the BLC content the buy price was around 80g right now the sell price is 80g. The supply went from 79 to 163 which is a 200% increase. This particular change has made it very cheap to get a lot of exclusive dyes. I have waste plenty of gold just buying all these dyes in case I want to use them in the future.

> > > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > >

> > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > >

> > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > >

> > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> >

> > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

>

> Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

>

> As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

That is a failure to appreciate history. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi%27s_Dye_Kit Check out the prices of those dyes before the Celebratory Dye Pack.

Also possibly an issue with having the desire to be a unique snowflake among 11 million other snowflakes.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> They have already addressed it in 3 different ways.

>

> In chronological order

> 1) having them be tradeable, buy from the TP and there is not randomness involved

> 2) inclusion in the birthday gifts starting from the 3rd, doesn't matter if you don't have any character that old since simply including it drops the price Permafrost used to be over 1500g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/81571-permafrost-dye?full=1 Inclusion in the 4th birthday dropped shadow abyss by around 200g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69231-shadow-abyss-dye?full=1

> 3) rotating set in the BLC, Shadow Abyss price history is also a great demonstration of this. Before the Oct 16 patch which changed the BLC content the buy price was around 80g right now the sell price is 80g. The supply went from 79 to 163 which is a 200% increase. This particular change has made it very cheap to get a lot of exclusive dyes. I have waste plenty of gold just buying all these dyes in case I want to use them in the future.

>

> > > > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > > >

> > > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > > >

> > > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> > >

> > > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

> >

> > Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

> >

> > As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

>

> That is a failure to appreciate history. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi%27s_Dye_Kit Check out the prices of those dyes before the Celebratory Dye Pack.

>

> Also possibly an issue with having the desire to be a unique snowflake among 11 million other snowflakes.

We seem to be moving away from the real issue. Everything everyone has said more or less hinges on OTHER people buying the dye kits. Essentially, what people here have said amounts to "buy them off idiots who buy the dye packs". If I asked any of you why you don't buy them, it'd be because it's bad RNG and a lot of the time you lose valuable gems. If someone spent 2500 (it's a lot) gems on dyes and didn't get what they wanted, then they would be able to choose one exclusive dye from a limited pool. If you're worried about how it would affect the TP price, then that's easy - just make the dyes bought with the currency account-bound on acquire.

Also not sure what you were implying with your snide last comment.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > So, use the Jubilant, Exuberant or Triumphant Dye Packs. Several expensive Dyes offered in those packs. Including Permafrost.

>

> Life is short Inculpatus. I made a nice QoL suggestion, and you say "statuette currency wouldn't be good, you can simply wait 3-5 years". That is crazy! I don't know if I'll even be playing this game, I don't even know if the game will still be around then.

Its been around for 6 already, and those birthday kits are how ive gotten the vast majority of my dyes, especially the dyes above 20g, im very cheap when it comes to buying dyes of the trading post.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > So, use the Jubilant, Exuberant or Triumphant Dye Packs. Several expensive Dyes offered in those packs. Including Permafrost.

>

> Life is short Inculpatus. I made a nice QoL suggestion, and you say "statuette currency wouldn't be good, you can simply wait 3-5 years". That is crazy! I don't know if I'll even be playing this game, I don't even know if the game will still be around then.

I can't find the post where I stated "statuette currency wouldn't be good....". I did question if players would still be subjected to the random mechanic of the Exclusive Dyes in a kit, once they had saved up enough 'statuettes', and whether the playerbase would want to purchase 20, 30, 50 Dye Kits to obtain 1 Exclusive Dye that would be available at no cost through Birthday Gifts eventually, or from the TP at a lower cost in a shorter period of time.

> If someone spent 2500 (it's a lot) gems on dyes and didn't get what they wanted, then they would be able to choose one exclusive dye from a limited pool. If you're worried about how it would affect the TP price, then that's easy - just make the dyes bought with the currency account-bound on acquire.

Or ANet could exclude dye kits from the BLC loot table. No more random drops would mean the dye prices increase making it more profitable to gamble, thus maintaining the supply and increasing prices as well as profits.

See how the economy could be affected one way or the other?

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > They have already addressed it in 3 different ways.

> >

> > In chronological order

> > 1) having them be tradeable, buy from the TP and there is not randomness involved

> > 2) inclusion in the birthday gifts starting from the 3rd, doesn't matter if you don't have any character that old since simply including it drops the price Permafrost used to be over 1500g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/81571-permafrost-dye?full=1 Inclusion in the 4th birthday dropped shadow abyss by around 200g https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69231-shadow-abyss-dye?full=1

> > 3) rotating set in the BLC, Shadow Abyss price history is also a great demonstration of this. Before the Oct 16 patch which changed the BLC content the buy price was around 80g right now the sell price is 80g. The supply went from 79 to 163 which is a 200% increase. This particular change has made it very cheap to get a lot of exclusive dyes. I have waste plenty of gold just buying all these dyes in case I want to use them in the future.

> >

> > > > > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > > > >

> > > > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> > > >

> > > > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

> > >

> > > Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

> > >

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

> > >

> > > As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

> >

> > That is a failure to appreciate history. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi%27s_Dye_Kit Check out the prices of those dyes before the Celebratory Dye Pack.

> >

> > Also possibly an issue with having the desire to be a unique snowflake among 11 million other snowflakes.

>

> We seem to be moving away from the real issue. Everything everyone has said more or less hinges on OTHER people buying the dye kits. Essentially, what people here have said amounts to "buy them off idiots who buy the dye packs". If I asked any of you why you don't buy them, it'd be because it's bad RNG and a lot of the time you lose valuable gems. If someone spent 2500 (it's a lot) gems on dyes and didn't get what they wanted, then they would be able to choose one exclusive dye from a limited pool. If you're worried about how it would affect the TP price, then that's easy - just make the dyes bought with the currency account-bound on acquire.

>

Do I think buying them is stupid? Yes. Does that mean I think nobody should be buying them? No. If they actually enjoy doing that then I am fine with leaving that to them. If they don't enjoy it then they should obviously stop. ANet would also have to change what they are doing if their current methods results in people not buying their stuff.

Why would I be concerned about the affect on the TP price? That would just make it cheaper for me to buy them regardless of whether or not they are account bound. The birthday dye kits have already demonstrated multiple times that even with account bound dyes the prices will drop because there is a reduction in demand. The change would actually be 100% good for me but I also think that the current situation is fine as it is and therefore no need for change.

> Also not sure what you were implying with your snide last comment.

That is a reply to

> As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The **rarest dyes are hundreds of gold**, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

Your primary concern seems to be about rarity despite the fact that rarity and price don't necessarily correlate.

There are 8 dyes costing less than 7g each which are 97%+ match to the **currently** most expensive dye. https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search?cloth=000000&leather=000000&metal=000000&sort=matcher

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > >

> > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> >

> > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

>

> The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

If you have a character as old as the game, the current birthday kit includes the dye packs from the previous full year. If like me you have 19 characters... you will collect all the dyes, even the expensive ones, by just being patient enough to wait a year with no difficulty. This still over-all comes across sounding like a problem of instant gratification, wanting something NOW instead of waiting until the price comes down or it hits a character birthday.

> > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > >

> > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > >

> > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > >

> > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> >

> > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

>

> Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

>

> As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

Dude, you *can*. I don't know what you are talking about. It's where I got all my 50g and above dyes from. You can get nearly every colour from those birthday gifts, again the names may be different but in most cases the colours are identical. There are for example a handful of black dyes with different names, but you only need one black dye. The remaining dyes will probably remain rare as a money sink for those people who desire them for the sake of it.

> @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > > >

> > > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > > >

> > > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> > >

> > > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

> >

> > Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

> >

> > As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

>

> Dude, you *can*. I don't know what you are talking about. It's where I got all my 50g and above dyes from. You can get nearly every colour from those birthday gifts, again the names may be different but in most cases the colours are identical. There are for example a handful of black dyes with different names, but you only need one black dye. **The remaining dyes will probably remain rare as a money sink for those people who desire them for the sake of it.**

Probably not. The current two most expensive dyes come from a dye kit that is neither in a birthday kit nor has it ever shown up in a BLC ... yet. Every other kit with exclusive dyes has been in either or both. If there any reason why that one should be an exception?

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > @"nosleepdemon.1368" said:

> > > > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > > > @"googel.3278" said:

> > > > > > > > Wasting real money on rng black lion chests, better to buy food instead of pixels.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Some of us are able to buy food, pay bills, and still have money to pay for pixels. Budgeting is a nice skill to have.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A shame that you're wasting all that money then. Dyes especially can be easily gained from birthday gifts.

> > > > >

> > > > > The absurdity of saying something can be easily gained... once a year that is. Oh and only certain dyes. The celebration dye choice doesn't include all dye packs, and usually it only includes the cheapest dyes.

> > > >

> > > > What are you talking about? You can get nearly all of the rarest colours in celebration packs. Sure, the name might be "Mordrem Shadow" instead of "Abyss" but it is the same RGB value / material type.

> > >

> > > Nope. You can't get the rarest colours in the celebration packs.

> > >

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebratory_Dye_Pack

> > >

> > > As you can see, the price for most of them is below 100g, and only a handful are above that. The rarest dyes are hundreds of gold, and they're not available from the celebratory dye pack.

> >

> > Dude, you *can*. I don't know what you are talking about. It's where I got all my 50g and above dyes from. You can get nearly every colour from those birthday gifts, again the names may be different but in most cases the colours are identical. There are for example a handful of black dyes with different names, but you only need one black dye. **The remaining dyes will probably remain rare as a money sink for those people who desire them for the sake of it.**

>

> Probably not. The current two most expensive dyes come from a dye kit that is neither in a birthday kit nor has it ever shown up in a BLC ... yet. Every other kit with exclusive dyes has been in either or both. If there any reason why that one should be an exception?

I got the third most expensive dye yesterday from the sixth year birthday kit. The current two most expensive dyes will probably be in next years birthday kit.

• 7 months later...

There is something wrong with your premium currency store item price point, if the pack can only drop items of less value then the gem-gold trade can get you.

So only a few of the dye-kits are arguably 'good', since they have at least a chance to drop something more then you put in. This is the RNG part we all love to hate, but at least it's a defensible point.

A lot of dye packs can drop an item worth 6 to 8 gold, use to wiki to find out which?

But you will have to buy them using gems, so lets say you buy 400 gems to get 5 shots at such a 'high end dye', you could have traded it in for 100 gold and bought it from the TP, and still had gold left to buy the entire packs worth of dyes.

This is what is broken and this is the issue that needs to be addressed.

Those low value, high price items in the store need to be re-balanced in a way that their RNG spirit is restored.

Or instead of rebalancing their price points, make them drop account bound set of dyes to increase their exclusivity.

Eventually the dyes will have no economic value other then the Gem price, it would make gambling for them in the Mystic Forge (not account bound) exciting as well.

Alternative suggestions: remove the RNG element governments are cracking down on these days.

Just like a skin would fetch a nice sum of gems, I would pay for a nice set of colors to add to my wardrobe.

You can even divide them up more to create true 'packs', more akin to skins.

Each duplicate you buy, would raise your mystic forge 'drop rate bonus' that keeps increasing until you hit a 'exotic drop' after which it resets.

A pity counter if you will. It would give some value to buying packs that you have most dyes of already and incentivize a bit of gambling to remove more items from the TP.

Example:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Dye_Kit

Best value 6 dyes worth max 12 GP.

Buying them would roughly cost 72 GP.

400 Gems gets you 5 tries (on sale), with 400 Gems to 100 gold however, you could just buy ALL 6 and have 28 gold left.

100 Gold is more then enough to buy the entire packs worth of dyes.

So 400 gems for 5 of these dyes (most likely the 20 copper ones) is just theft of your own wallet.